Crepeys do Christmas...

(1000 Posts)
oldqueenie Sun 18-Nov-12 15:03:08

Will this fit the bill. Dull but seasonal?

bigTillyMincePie Mon 03-Dec-12 13:30:03

Secondary school fair? Luckily our Secondary doesn't do PTAsmile The robin is quite sweet, but £20???!

Jellied eels? <boak>

herbaceous Mon 03-Dec-12 18:52:30

Off to Ikea on my twice-weekly run to pick up things left off the kitchen order. Have to work out how to fit a 270cm-long bit of panelling into the Fabia.

oldqueenie Mon 03-Dec-12 19:35:55

ooo errr missus. Your panelling and fabia talk reminds me of Frankie Howerd!
I have never been to Ikea. I long ago took a vow never to venture there... ditto Westfield.

SantasBitch Mon 03-Dec-12 20:29:58

I am steaming with rage at the school. Had to book DD1 a dermatologist appointment as she has a dodgy mole on her foot (we have huge family history of melanoma - it has seen off my grandmother, uncle and cousin so far, my aunt is terminally ill with it and my mother had it 5 years ago), and took the only possible appointment before the new year. Unfortunately this clashes with her string ensemble rehearsal and apparently she "has" to be there as it is the last rehearsal before the concert. What concert, I ask? This is news to me - still no date given for it, but is clearly going to be the week after next. I work full time and my diary is already pretty fully booked that week (including a dinner for 12 that I'm hosting). AIBU to think that schools should show a bit of consideration to working parents and understand that we don't all sit around on our arses all day waiting for the school to announce some marvellous event that we all have to attend, and give us a bit more notice?

Have told cello teacher that DD1 won't be at next week's rehearsal and will see what sort of whiny assed reply she comes up with. DH can, of course, take DD1 to the concert and watch her on his own, but that is not the point.

And breathe...

On the plus side, I got job application form in today plus revamped CV. smile

bigTillyMincePie Mon 03-Dec-12 20:42:12

God, I thought it was only the DC's infamous school that did this kind of thing. I am somewhat bolstered by the fact that it happens in international schools toosmile
Well done on the jobs front!

OQ, never been to IKEAshock You aint missing much at Westfield Stratford, but I haven't been to the West End one!

Blackduck Tue 04-Dec-12 06:42:16

Ds's new school is soooo much better than the old one for info (if you bother to read the weekly news letter which has a handy term calendar counting you down to things) which reminds me I am manning (womanning?) the tombola on Sunday.
Meanwhile old neighbour has moved! Took her 3/4 months and drove her mad - I told her she was a lightweight.
Congrats MrsS - hope its for a way better job than ABs so you can rub his nose in it.....

Blackduck Tue 04-Dec-12 21:37:17

Crepeys page 2!!
Dp has announced he'd like to do something political....I need to investigate more.
Meanwhile I am slogging through crap emails and appeals. Hope life is better elsewhere...

Grincherella Tue 04-Dec-12 21:55:22

MrsS, I hope your application goes down well. And I very much enjoyed reading the awayday update. grin

I think I have been to an Ikea 3 times. This was 3 times too many. Although I did like their lingonberry cordial. And the weirdy Swedish mustard. Is it possible that I completely missed the point of Ikea? But then I live far, far away from any Ikeas and must content myself with duff mdf shite from Argos and the like. <peasant> Or pay over the odds for ye olde wooden doodahs hand crafted by posh artisans. (Feh)

Jellied eels? Are they not .... disgusting? I mean, eels taste of mud anyway, so the jellied business is clearly a case of adding insult to injury, isn't it?

Grincherella Tue 04-Dec-12 21:55:55

BD, "something political"??

SantasBitch Tue 04-Dec-12 22:38:30

I lost my temper tonight (I never lose my temper and am not even due on). Full blown screaming, shouting, swearing and slamming doors. And then hysterical crying. DD2 was terrified, but it did have the desired effect of getting her to do something I'd been nagging her to do for weeks. I had a shit day at work, didn't get home till gone 7.30 (I live 10 minutes away from work), came in and had to start cooking. Only no-one had emptied the dishwasher from the night before, the breakfast stuff was all over the table, the sink still full of stuff that can't go in the dishwasher, the recycling bin had a precarious tower of crap on top of it, you couldn't get any more rubbish in the regular bin, the washing that I had put on this morning was still in the dryer and the washing from earlier this morning was still in the dryer.

So before I started cooking, I had to clean and tidy, or at least empty and restack the dishwasher and sort out the stuff in the sink. So I didn't start cooking till 8, and we ate late. The hall is full of shit that the DDs have been told to go through and sort out (this is what got shifted when I had my screaming fit). Something has to give here. I can't come in and cook from scratch every night - why can't DH cook a couple of nights a week? (Apparently he wouldn't know where to start... hmm) Why can't he unload the dishwasher when he is making the tea in the morning and shove the breakfast stuff straight in it? And why can't he do the washing either?

herbaceous Tue 04-Dec-12 22:49:24

Sounds like your outburst was long overdue, and that your DH needs a large kick up the backside. Either family eats easy to cook stuff they can do themselves, a few times a week, or if kitchen not in reasonable state to commence cooking, no cooking gets done.

Grincherella Tue 04-Dec-12 23:14:13

They are a bunch of lazies and needed a good shouting at. No excuse for them not being able to manage to clean and tidy all that stuff. You should have given them a no-frills cheese sandwich for supper and then ordered yourself a tasty something much nicer.

Blackduck Wed 05-Dec-12 05:46:38

Stropps - that's what he said 'something political' - we got no further in that convo so will pick up when he have some free time (when's that month of Sundays?).
Jellied eels are yuck.

MrsS I second stropps - cheese sarnies all round. But if you do find the answer to why a man can't empty the washing machine/dishwasher/take out the bin/hang up the laundry whilst waiting for the kettle to boil for his work from home cup of coffee could you let me know?
Sounds like meltdown was well overdue.

rubyrubyruby Wed 05-Dec-12 07:05:48

SNOW!!

bigTillyMincePie Wed 05-Dec-12 08:12:59

None here, just horrid cold rainsad At least our kiwi visitors had good weather mon/tues!
Agree about the cheese sandwiches. And do you have a cleaner? It has revolutionised my life and its only once a week!

alto1 Wed 05-Dec-12 09:07:17

Hi all,

Struggling to keep up but have taken advantage of my cold to have a lie-in and read thread. Sympathies to those with builders, job stress and families who don't do dishwashers.

My dh had good news, or at least no more bad news, at hospital on Monday. Now it's passed I've realised how anxious I was about it. As often happens, the relief expresses itself in a stinking cold.

Too much on this week to be ill. Took two leave days to fit in concerts, rehearsals and scary speaking thing but still got clashes. And have to miss dd's solo at her Christmas concert (sob) but then she can't come to mine either.

Next year I swear I'll learn my lesson and not take on too much in December <crosses fingers>

Grincherella Wed 05-Dec-12 16:32:54

No snow here, but I found a random partridge wandering down our road earlier. Maybe he was searching for a pear tree. He was lucky to avoid being the dog's elevenses. grin

bigTillyMincePie Wed 05-Dec-12 17:53:02

A partridge <suitably impressed that you knew what it was> - don't get many of them alive round here!

So glad the DC no longer do instruments - no more concertssmile

herbaceous Wed 05-Dec-12 18:29:36

I hit a game bird of some description in Norfolk. Couldn't slow to avoid it, or stop to pick it up for tea, as being borne down upon by 4x4, as ever. It had a long neck, and was tan with black spots.

I felt v guilty. I was surprised it didn't fly off at the last minute, in the manner of Wiley London pigeons.

Grincherella Wed 05-Dec-12 19:55:43

Sounds like a dim-witted pheasant, Herbs. I think the partridge had taken a very wrong turn as even though you can see farmland from our windows, we definitely still live in what I would class as surburbia. Surburbia is not a good place to wander aimlessly about in if you are a plump little game bird. He might as well have had a notice hung round his neck reading "Pet food".

Alto, good news that it was good news for your dh. Hope your cold gets better very soon.

CointreauVersial Wed 05-Dec-12 23:52:46

Hey alto, long time no see. Sorry to hear about your ill-timed cold.

MrsS - the old melt-down is good for family motivation, I find.

We had some snow here this morning (we are quite high up); it stopped after an hour or so, and disappeared soon afterwards, but the DCs were already digging out snowboots and checking the school website for closures (yeah, good luck with that one).

This cold weather makes me realise how crap our central heating is. Every winter we think we must do something about it, then every summer we forget again.

alto1 Thu 06-Dec-12 08:08:49

Thanks.
I'm coddling the cold and rehearsing my talk in a tiny croak, easily drowned out by the dog scratching herself.

DH is not as easily tired, so maybe it was anxiety dragging him down.

The dog has gone into super-moult and we are ankle-deep in drifts of black hair. Or I am. They are invisible to everyone else.

And the cat has finally won over my mother, who has become her fawning minion. Triumph after a three-year campaign.

herbaceous Thu 06-Dec-12 11:57:30

I'm freezing my arse off. In study, with non-functioning radiator and gappy window (though covered in that window film stuff). Have heat-tech leggings and top, jeans, cashmere jumper, large hat, cat on lap, and halogen heater on high. And my hands are still frozen. Can one still get fingerless gloves?

Not helped by the builders leaving the doors and windows open, for some unknown reason. Other than being Polish and used to the cold.

It's DS's nursery play today. He is a reindeer. He's been singing all the Christmas songs to me for about a month, but I'd imagine will run screaming from the stage when the time comes. This is the first performance. I'm going next week by when it will no doubt be perfect.

wilbur Thu 06-Dec-12 12:26:09

You see, I read the updates from MrsS and am now hungry for a cheese sandwich (one of life's great simple pleasures IMO). Sympathies on non-multi-tasking dh and oblivious-to-chaos dcs though, I don't blame you for the meltdown. You could always try this. I'm tempted to give it a go at times but the thought of listening to the dcs bickering about who does what does my head in.

Herbs - I also have a Cold House and yes, you can get fingerless gloves - I have a cycling pair which have been v good. We are supposed to be getting a wood-burning stove but have left it too late for this year. smile re nursery play - enjoy! That stuff is the compensation for all the crap bits (as detailed above) of family life.

Alto - glad to hear dh's news was a relief and hope the cold goes soon.

wilbur Thu 06-Dec-12 12:31:19

Oh, and today I have an hour or so between finishing work and seeing a play in Shepherds Bush. Do I dare go to Westfield? If I do, where do I go when I am there? Have only been once before and was quite scared.

This thread is not accepting new messages.