Crepeys do Christmas...

(1000 Posts)
oldqueenie Sun 18-Nov-12 15:03:08

Will this fit the bill. Dull but seasonal?

bigTillyMincePie Thu 03-Jan-13 16:24:11

MIL does NOT have a real treegrin but we have so can't blame it on that!

Re cousins, I never got to know the 5 on my fathers side but we had lovely family friends with 4 DC (oldest 3 adopted) that I was lucky to spend a bit of my childhood with. And then I managed to get my DM to make up with her brother and got to know my other 4 cousins in my early 20's.

Herbs, glad it's not just my DS (and DD) who was not remotely interested in dinosaurs. Balls though.... grin

Am feeling envy of your kitchen

herbaceous Thu 03-Jan-13 16:45:44

I'm v pleased with my vertical panel of iroko at the end of the peninsular. Looks well smart.

CointreauVersial Thu 03-Jan-13 17:42:04

You have a peninsular?? Iroko, to boot. Impressive.

oldqueenie Thu 03-Jan-13 17:45:26

How is a peninsular different from an island? give examples....

bigTillyMincePie Thu 03-Jan-13 18:05:55

Ahh I know the answer to this as I was brought up on a peninsular!

A peninsular is surrounded by water on 3 sides. An island is completely surrounded. So in a kitchen a peninsular sticks out...

I don't have a kitchen big wide enough for either!

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 03-Jan-13 18:16:00

The word "peninsula" comes from the Latin "paene", meaning almost and "insula" meaning island. I have a great memory for absolute trivia from my school days and can also recite "The Pobble Who Has No Toes." And "Calico Pie." But I can't remember anything from the very boring paper I was required to read today about the UK's Presidency of the G8.

And the word infant comes from "infans" which means "before speaking."

(I have just recited the two poems to DD1 who has backed nervously out of the room.) grin

wilbur Thu 03-Jan-13 19:01:21

Now I want to see a pic of your kitchen, Herbs. I have been hugely enjoying surfing Pinterest and perving at kitchen storage recently. Hoping to apply for planning permission sometime later this month so it will soon be me tearing my hair out about the builders.

CointreauVersial Thu 03-Jan-13 21:13:57

Just don't ask Herbs to recommend a builder.grin

rubyrubyruby Thu 03-Jan-13 21:23:47

My kitchen had a peninsula but I got fed up with walking around it grin

We got rid of it and knocked down a wall to make a large kitchen/diner.
I want to see kitchen photos too

rubyrubyruby Thu 03-Jan-13 21:26:21

I also won't to hassle MrsS for dates that she is here so we can sort out the meet-up as I have a new diary and have diddly squat to put in it atm

rubyrubyruby Thu 03-Jan-13 21:28:18

I would like big drawers.
....... not that type - in my kitchen (for saucepans)

Have overdone the wine this evening and looking at booking a holiday. It could get messy grin

bigTillyMint Thu 03-Jan-13 21:35:57

Go ruby! - get us a date for a meet-up and book your holidaygrin

herbaceous Fri 04-Jan-13 09:49:50

I think today could be the last day of builders. All they have left is grouting the tiles, backfilling the drain outside, painting outside, and various bits of filling. Oh, and plasterboarding the cupboard under the stairs. Oh, and make a shelf. Hmmm....

Off I go to Ikea again - for the seventh time - to get the fixing for a drawer.

And then I can take photos and post them! You will all have to gush and coo and say how wonderful it looks, even if it doesn't.

My peninsula divides the 'kitchen' bit from the 'dining' bit, and is only 1.5m long, so not so big as to become a pain in the arse to walk around. I hope.

wilbur Fri 04-Jan-13 09:57:40

I would also like big drawers, fnarr, but we are trying to adapt the rather groovy 1950s cupboards we have so I have been finding gizmos and doodads that will mean we can insert drawers and clever shelves into existing cabinets. Have a feeling it will cost us more to keep what we have than to rip it all out and start again... Am currently sitting outside a stables waiting to drop dd off at her Xmas present of 3 riding lessons. I feel a bit bad as she has been longing to do this and I'm sure she will now want to have regular lessons which (a) we can't afford and (b) is really difficult for us as I am majorly allergic to horses so dd has to be fumigated completely whenever she returns. I'm streaming now just from being in the car with her friends wearing their horse clothes from yesterday.

motherinferior Fri 04-Jan-13 12:41:55

Wotcher all. Am wrestling with Vodafone atm as have new smartphone but cannot transfer old number onto it (cue about 48 hours of DP and me pleading, begging and imploring at the helpline). DP has now bogged off to do hippy t'ai chi for a week in Amsterdam.

I am feeling a bit more knackered and fed up than you're supposed to do after a break. Am having Life Crisis, I suspect. However, will only be working four days in-house a week next month, so things will definitely improve...and in truth the knackeredness is partly because we've all been ill, I haven't had any proper exercise for bloody ages and have eaten far too much and put on half a stone and this, too, will be whipped into shape once Life As We Know It resumes grin

Blackduck Fri 04-Jan-13 12:55:48

Hi all. Currently hungover from last night (dp's birthday - it was the free bottle that did it) and on way home to go to childminders fathers funeral. Only upside is at least I got out of half of the School awayday.
Herbs looks like the finish is in sight!
Crepeys I have decided that ds and I will go for a short break during half term - any recommendations?

Stropperella Fri 04-Jan-13 13:05:13

Happy New Year and all that jazz, crepeys! We are just back from 5 fabulous days in Suffolk, spent with my bezzie who I have not got together with for 7 loooong years. We didn't go to bed before 2am any night and partied until 4am on NYE. Ds is now jetlagged and didn't bother getting up until 11 today. He may be turning into a teenager, a couple of weeks shy of his 8th birthday. Our friends are doing up a 15th century house. Is already all rather sumptuous. And I am a bit more sumptuous than before after consuming an EU wine lake of fizz and a mountain of delish food. And right now I'm not sure I care about the post-festive season wobble. I think I probably need to stop fussing about my waistline quite so much and focus on other issues... I am wasting my life - aaaaaaaargh etc etc etc.

I think I'm with MI in the Life Crisis corner. Although I feel it's a positive-type crisis. However, dd is already blubbing at the thought of returning to school. I really feel for her. I can see why she hates it; it's all the bloody pressure. I do not like the British school system anymore. Not sure I ever did, but I have monster big reservations now after seeing what it is doing to her.

Off to do something constructive. Like, er, hoovering. grin

herbaceous Fri 04-Jan-13 13:57:15

<rents vestments>

Just now, when it should be all 'finishing touches', it turns out they haven't connected the new soil pipe to the drain. Cue digging up the concrete patio, and discovering existing drain is encased in concrete thanks to underpinning work. Now terrifying drilling noises coming from below. I can just imagine them breaking the drain, and us having no usable lav for the rest of time. But lovely tiles in the kitchen.

bigTillyMint Fri 04-Jan-13 17:05:39

Yo Stropps - was wondering what had become of yougrin

Oh No Herbs! Is there any end to your builders stupidity?

BD, is skiing out of the question?

CointreauVersial Fri 04-Jan-13 18:13:49

Hey Strops, Happy New Year to you.

I am also a little more "sumptuous" than I should be, and am seriously considering BIWI's Bootcamp on Monday, when the festive break is officially O.V.E.R. I haven't been for a run for three weeks now, but I am hoping my poor blue toe will have recovered from its beer bottle encounter by then. For the rest of the weekend I shall continue with my intensive carb-guzzling program as it would be a shame to waste all those Christmas goodies still stacked around my kitchen.

Herbs, your builders continue to sound like utter clowns. I was watching one of those cowboy builder documentaries the other day where the builders just left a waste pipe draining into a cupboard, so I guess you can be comforted by the fact that they are attempting (belatedly) to find a drain.

herbaceous Fri 04-Jan-13 19:16:07

I too am verging on opulent, but only by a couple of extra pounds, which is encouraging. I shall get all half-hearted low-carb as I did in the autumn, which seemed to work. I also need to get blasted well exercising. I fear it may have to be the shred. Or wii unfit.

DP has made a pact with his best friend that they are going to lose three stone by June. Each. If he actually follows through, which is frankly unlikely, this will greatly aid my weight loss - my meals are pretty healthy, but it's the wine and crisps consumed beforehand that turn me into a porker.

The Chuckle Brothers seem to have managed to connect the drain, but the garden is now like the Somme. The kitchen is neat and pristine. They now have to cart all the rubbish from the back garden - radiator, various bits of wood, etc etc - through the house, no doubt grinding dirt in to the lovely new floor. Why the hell didn't they do the dirty work before the clean? Even I know that...

herbaceous Fri 04-Jan-13 19:43:52

Forgot my yuletide S&B news! I'd asked DP for some Decleor stuff for Christmas, as it's been raved about on here, and I've always loved the smell. So he got this nectar. Have you seen the price! It is utterly lovely, and my skin already feels like a baby's bum. Though that could be down to the el cheapo scrub I got from Sains the other day.

He also bought me some Molecule 01 perfume. I'd been after some after I'd smelled some on the gayest man in the world, and it had made me want to do rude things to him. I'll have some of that, I thought. The perfume, that is.

Also got some Decleor cleanser, too, so generally no excuse for not looking radiant.

rubyrubyruby Fri 04-Jan-13 20:09:47

Herbs - the fab new kitchen is a whisker away now and envy at face cream!!!

Good to have everyone back on the thread. I haven't weighed myself and do not intend to until the end of Jan.

I need to research my holiday more sad I nearly booked flights last night but bottled it and I'm having trouble finding hotels that will accomodate all of us without booking multiple rooms <<sigh>>

I'm free for a meet-up anytime except 16th Jan and intend to stay over this time so I hope everyone is up for a good ole jolly grin

MrsSchadenfreude Fri 04-Jan-13 20:37:18

Still no interview date. <gibbers a little> If I get this job I will have to have my photo and CV up on the website. I had a look at the bloke who is doing the job now, and also the chappie in Munich. Both have their educational qualifications (BSc, MBA, PhD) which made me gibber a bit more as I have a handful of O levels and 2 crappy A levels to my name (one of which is German - whoo hoo!). But surely I can leave these out? DH has said "I think they want a man for the job." And sadly, I think he is right. All of the other jobs at that level in that country are held by men. But perhaps they are looking to become more diverse?

rubyrubyruby Fri 04-Jan-13 21:19:42

Wilbur - I had riding lessons once a fortnight when I was growing up.

Herbs - 3 stone! Wow, that will be some achievement in 6 months!

This thread is not accepting new messages.