Cleaning leather jacket

(11 Posts)
cardoon Thu 15-Nov-12 11:06:18

Have just won a gorgeous leather jacket on ebay, just perfect, except the lining is a bit whiffy. Should I just go and ave it professionally cleaned or do you think I could clean the lining sucessfully without harming the leather........over to you team! grin

bishboschone Thu 15-Nov-12 13:15:03

Cleaning leather is very expensive and not very successful . I would air it out with a bit of febreze on the lining .

cardoon Thu 15-Nov-12 13:38:21

Oh god, I couldn't wait so I bunged it in the washing machine! It refused to spin as it was the weight of a dead dog blush

Have rolled it up in towels and stood on it pressed the excess water out

It looks surprisingly good grin

bishboschone Thu 15-Nov-12 13:42:55

Wow !! Be careful it doesn't dry crispy .. Is it real leather ?

cardoon Thu 15-Nov-12 14:09:19

It is, it's one from boden described as 'washed' and 'distressed' so hopefully it's used to such treatment.....

I have previous.......suede jacket, uggs, garden gloves - all good I may say grin

<eyes up cream bag>

bishboschone Thu 15-Nov-12 19:33:06

Great .. Well done you .. I wash everything too .. Let me know how it dries !! :-)

DameFanny Thu 15-Nov-12 19:36:38

Have some neutral moisturiser on hand for when it dries - keep putting it on until it stops absorbing, then give a good rub with a cloth and maybe some leather cream to finish.

If you have cash to burn, clarin's beauty flash balm is surprisingly effective for this...

bishboschone Thu 15-Nov-12 19:46:09

Or saddle soap .. Liquid variety smile

cardoon Thu 15-Nov-12 19:52:46

I've laid it on a thick towel on the kitchen table with another towel shoved inside which I've changed/dried a few times - can't hang it yet as it will stretch - maybe tomorrow....fingers crossed. It looks fine so far, have leather cream on hand.

cardoon Sat 17-Nov-12 13:02:35

Right, it's finally dry! It is a little less supple than before but nothing a few wears won't sort out I think. Looks good, smells clean, and non the worse for the experience. May moisturise this PM.

bishboschone Sat 17-Nov-12 19:04:10

Well done ! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now