Has anyone washed their Barbour ?

(7 Posts)
Madondogs Wed 14-Nov-12 20:19:09

I've made myself look silly by posting this I know!

I had read the instructions and knew that it's only meant to be bathed in cool angel tears ... But it just seemed so tempting.

I shall resist however, thanks for the tips. I will wait for the wax to arrive and confine myself to a thorough re-waxing (disappointed)

bishboschone Wed 14-Nov-12 18:21:32

Lol.. Almost opposite of what I said but I have used a bit of soapy warm water before and they are fine . Cold plain water isn't going to clean it ..!

goralka Wed 14-Nov-12 18:20:41

definitely not - it would lose that special odour apart from anything else

bishboschone Wed 14-Nov-12 18:20:24

I'm a dry cleaner and we re wax jackets . I have never washed waxed cotton . There are lots and lots if things I have washed which are d/c only . This isn't one of them . Get some hot soapy water and squeeze out the cloth well and sort of wipe it . Don't over wet it . It's a messy, stinky job re waxing . Get some of those throw away gloves and use your hands , you will get a better result .

dexter73 Wed 14-Nov-12 18:19:23

Just copied this off the Barbour site -
Clean the jacket using cold water and a sponge to wipe down the outside of the jacket. Avoid using hot water, any kind of soap and NEVER put the jacket in the washing machine, as this will remove the wax coating permanently and the jacket cannot be rewaxed.
So probably not a good idea then!

Hopefully Wed 14-Nov-12 18:07:15

I haven't ever done it, but I imagine it would utterly knacker it. And I am normally v cavalier. Surely the waxed fabric will crack and go funny?

Madondogs Wed 14-Nov-12 17:54:38

I have a Navy Kate Barbour, it's 2 years old and I have worn it loads. I have just ordered a tin of wax to reproof it and I wondered if it would be possible to give it a gentle machine wash before hand.

I know they are only supposed to be sponged with cold water but am so tempted to give it a try. Thought I would consult the wisdom of MN first though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now