Please help me find a party season dress

(18 Posts)
racingheart Tue 13-Nov-12 20:50:45

Hi
Please can I have some more fantastic advice from the style queens?

I want a new party dress. Ideally on or below the knee (fat knees) to suit size 10-12 pear, late 40s (so sleeves maybe?) and one that is quite plain so can be worn to several functions in the same month, accessorised differently. Nothing too grand. Definitely high street prices (under £60?)

Thank you!

MikeLitoris Tue 13-Nov-12 20:55:46
mrsgiggle Tue 13-Nov-12 20:58:01

Have a look on Tesco. You might be surprised!

MikeLitoris Tue 13-Nov-12 21:00:02
Jalopeno Tue 13-Nov-12 21:14:44

www.theprettydresscompany.com/
These give a great shape

lurkingaround Tue 13-Nov-12 21:32:34

I'm similar size and shape you yourself, and I like this Cos dress 89. I'm buying it for exactly the same reasons as you.

Over your budget I know, and the picture is pants, but it is very nice irl, and more of a bluey-grey-silvery colour, and it's also perfect for pears. I think it would do plenty of occasions.

racingheart Tue 13-Nov-12 22:32:19

Thank you. Love the John Lewis but already have a dress almost identical to that, which I wear far too often and is now two years old and looking a bit faded.
The mango dress is the kind I can't wear - tight on the hips is lethal for pear shapes.
Those prettydressco ones are beautiful but too dressy for works drinks etc, I think.
Cos one is lovely but quite a lot over budget. Might try it on, and see if I could wear it loads. Are they just online?

Haven't tried Tesco. Will have a look, thanks.

I liked this but given how much S&B queens rant about the hideousness of M&S, I thought I'd better come on here for advice first. If it's hideous please explain.

Last time I followed advice on here I got more compliments in a week than I've had in five years. Think I've slipped back into mumsiness and need your advice again.

racingheart Tue 13-Nov-12 23:58:17

Looked on Tesco. Nothing there felt quite right.

MikeLitoris Wed 14-Nov-12 00:11:57

phase eight?

and again

They have loads of sale dresses atm.

racingheart Thu 15-Nov-12 19:10:06

Thank you for suggesting Phase Eight, MikeL.

I think I've found it. I think I'm in love.

What do S&B queens think of this? Honest answers please.

MikeLitoris Thu 15-Nov-12 20:21:47

Lovely.

HyvaPaiva Thu 15-Nov-12 20:26:16

Stunning!

izzysmydog Thu 15-Nov-12 20:57:33

Prefer the M&S dress to the red one, depends if red works for you

cathyandclaire Thu 15-Nov-12 21:44:45

That is stunning! I'm tempted to buy it too! smile

Maraki Thu 15-Nov-12 21:44:47

I love the red dress!! But I also like M&S one too. Why don't you try them both and see how you get on?

Rexy Thu 15-Nov-12 22:04:39

The M&S one did nothing for me , looks worse on than on the hanger and I have many Per Una dresses, so I'd say the red one .

Rexy Thu 15-Nov-12 22:11:25

Can't find the red one in HoF, Debenhams or PE websites, all sizes sold out , I'd love to have it !

racingheart Thu 15-Nov-12 23:09:23

The M&S dress is half the price, but I read a review that says it's shorter than the advertised length and I would never, ever show my knees to the world.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now