Am l mad to even consider getting highlights?

(31 Posts)
MikeLitoris Tue 13-Nov-12 20:42:47

I have long dark hair and am thinking of getting highlights.

Im so bored of how it is now and fancy a change but am scared of going light.

Is it worth having a few bits underneath (not right on the crown) or should i just go for it?

MikeLitoris Thu 15-Nov-12 22:50:57

caramel is exactly what i've asked for.

fingers crossed that is what I get.

WizardofOs Thu 15-Nov-12 19:45:23

I have dark brown hair with caramel highlights. I think it looks nice.

legoballoon Thu 15-Nov-12 19:44:12

Go for it mike, but when you are grey and wrinkly like me, you'll look back and kick yourself at not being happy with how gorgeous your young self is!!

MikeLitoris Wed 14-Nov-12 22:25:36

Stop making me doubt it lego!

Im going to just have a few underneath so hopefully will avoid the stripey look.

legoballoon Wed 14-Nov-12 21:59:29

Save your cash for when you start going grey. If I had long dark hair I'd be happy with it! Lots of highlights just look stripey and fake anyway!

MikeLitoris Wed 14-Nov-12 21:58:24

Or should I have that ombre/dip dye thing done instead?

MikeLitoris Wed 14-Nov-12 21:29:41

Appointment is booked.

<scared>

MikeLitoris Wed 14-Nov-12 20:39:16

Your my new best friend grin

I do worry this name may make me seem like a dodgy old bloke.

I think highlights would look good. But your cakes look amazing, and you are much younger and prettier than I imagined from your name!

MikeLitoris Wed 14-Nov-12 20:12:58

Im quite pale with brown eyes.

If u can just dye them out i dont have much to lose do I?

ENormaSnob Wed 14-Nov-12 20:07:50

The hairdresser dyed over them easily enough.

Looked at the pics and I am a lot darker than you, my hair is almost black. Plus I have cool colouring, green eyes and v dark brows and lashes.

MikeLitoris Wed 14-Nov-12 19:50:42

You have scared me now norm!

Was it easy to dye back over then?

MikeLitoris Wed 14-Nov-12 19:24:13

Ill put them back on now.

ENormaSnob Wed 14-Nov-12 19:06:11

Can't see your piccys mike.

I have v dark hair and hated the highlights I had put in a few months ago. I had them dyed over back to my natural after a month.

MikeLitoris Tue 13-Nov-12 22:47:15

you need to go to the desktop site and do it as you would from a pc/laptop (if the pic is on your phone)

TwllBach Tue 13-Nov-12 22:34:53

Oh I want to put a picture on now too but I don't know how to do it Ron my phone <sulks>

ladyinthelibrary Tue 13-Nov-12 22:30:50

That's lovely Fluffy - looks a really good cut too!

MikeLitoris Tue 13-Nov-12 22:26:16

I don't have any grey (yet) but just want a bit of a change.

I think I'll just go for it.

I think you would suit highlights for sure.

I don't have lots of greys, but kept finding stray bright white hairs which really stood out against my dark hair so my highlights have covered it nicely. I used to feel very self concious about them whereas now I don't. As I said my upkeep has been easy, once every five months.

I hope this works, this is a link to my hair just after it was done.
i49.tinypic.com/r2vjts.jpg

MikeLitoris Tue 13-Nov-12 22:11:18

I could only get two dodgy pics on. please don't judge the frizz in the more recent one. I had been caught out in the rain.

the one with my gramp is a better pic of my natural colour.

PrincessOfChina Tue 13-Nov-12 22:06:42

I have reddish brown hair and have some highlights. They're platinum blonde and in random places but mainly under the top layer of hair. Means it looks pretty 3D when it's down (just on shoulders) and even more interesting when up.

buttercrumble Tue 13-Nov-12 21:53:12

It great if you can afford the upkeep, my regrowth needed doing every 6/8 weeks at £40 a time. I ended up growing mine out which took forever.....

MikeLitoris Tue 13-Nov-12 21:52:33

Thats what i am after fluffy. Just a bit of warming up i think.

Cant get a pic on using this phone.

WillowB Tue 13-Nov-12 21:51:58

Don't want to hijack but how good are highlights at disguising greys? I have dark hair & am colouring every 5 weeks. Thought I might be able to go longer with highlights?

I have pretty dark brown hair, I had highlights put in this year and I really like them. I am very pale and didn't want reddy colours in my hair so my hairdresser has very finely put light brown/honey colours through. It looks pretty natural but has brightened up my hair nicely and covered the greys.

I was worried about upkeep and roots, but I managed to go five months in between dyeing and it looked fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now