Budding perfumistas walk this way- Part 2 of the Worst Perfumes ever

(989 Posts)
shoeprincess2 Tue 13-Nov-12 13:23:54

As the first thread is nearly full, I've set up Part 2

DonaAna Sun 30-Dec-12 15:07:59

Oh and No 5 would make a terrific masculine! grin

vacuuming Sun 30-Dec-12 20:12:06

Would anyone like to critique my first Surrender to Chance order? I am choosing 10 from the Now Smell This list. Normally I wear Chanel No 5 or Coco Mademoiselle.

A number of these I have selected just because they have been mentioned on this thread. I have tried to steer clear of those that I could walk into my local department store and sniff on any given day of the week. Shalimar is the exception - I want to be able to smell it on me over a given time period to decide how I feel about it.

I also selected a number of vetivers as I think I really like that note (will find out rather quickly I guess!).

Caron Tabac Blond
Diptyque Philosykos
Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire 
Patou Joy
Lanvin Arpege
Serge Lutens A La Nuit (1/2 ml)
Guerlain Vetiver
Hermes Vetiver Tonka 
Guerlain shalimar
Le Labo Rose 31

Am I missing out on anything major?

Haberdashery Sun 30-Dec-12 20:27:04

I don't know enough to advise, vac, but that sounds like a great selection. I think it's good to choose a bit widely with samples as sometimes you can really dislike what you thought you'd love. I smelt Guerlain Vetiver at the airport over Christmas and it was lovely!

And I have come here to report that my lovely husband bought me an actual full bottle of Lonestar Memories for Christmas. Am absolutely delighted.

DonaAna Sun 30-Dec-12 20:35:55

I like most of your choices and it's a good selection but I'll just echo back some reactions I've heard on these threads:

Tabac Blond, Shalimar - old woman musty fur coat
Vetiver Extraordinaire - too masculine / smells like cologne (go and try on instead).

Vetiver is a really great note, smoky, woody, but also something that is prominently featured in about 30-50% of masculine perfumes. Tom Ford Grey Vetiver and Lalique's Encre Noire are great starter vetivers. But if you want to learn about vetiver, go to the men's department in a department store and sniff a bit. If you like what you are smelling and would love to wear it, go ahead and order more vetiver samples! Vetiver Extraordinaire combines vetiver with an aqueous note (Calone - smell Eau de Issey or Davidoff's Cool Water and you'll know what I mean) - it's fresh, salty, watermelony - some people are really put off by it. I might order Chanel's Sycomore instead, as it's almost universally applauded. Guerlain's Vetiver is often perceived as difficult - it was too difficult for my DH, he dropped the vial on the bathroom floor and broke it wink

If you live near a big department store, you may also be able to try the Guerlain Vetiver, Joy, Arpege, and A la nuit there. For a Chanel 5 lover, I also always recommend Amouage Gold Woman and Chanel No. 22.

But great list, and I hope you will enjoy trying them. And some of the most rewarding perfumes I've ever worn are those that have been surprising, difficult, even repulsive. I guess some perfumistas are looking for "clothes", ie a signature scent or a perfume wardrobe. The rest of us are into this because of the thrill of new sensory experiences.

vacuuming Sun 30-Dec-12 20:58:44

Thanks a mil DonaAna!! Amourage Gold and Channel Sycamore is not on the list unfortunately, nor is Coromandel which I would have added as a definite. I'll take your point on the vetiver and swap them for something else - I have added Chanel no 22 instead of the Guerlain Vetiver. I want to try a Frederic Malle - 4 are listed, En Passant, Le Parfum de Therese, Une Rose and Vetiver Extraordinare - which would you recommend?

I tried Coco Chanel during the week. I loved it except for the final note the next morning which I thought was a bit 'churchy' maybe? But DH could just smell his mother from it which would be Opium.

Lonestar Memories sounds very different to what I'm used to. I must keep an eye out for that one - lucky you getting a big bottle Haberdashery

pocketandsweet Sun 30-Dec-12 21:01:41

Does anyone remember a fragrance from late 70s/ early 80s.... tuxedo by Ralph Lauren. Blah name but it was gorgeous. If anyone does remember any suggestions for a more modern alternative.

DonaAna Sun 30-Dec-12 21:21:57

You might want to wait with the Malles until you have a better idea what notes you really like. Their line has at least 18 perfumes and each one is unique - they really excel in stylish, translucent but substantial florals. But based on what you tell about your favorites so far, they lack a blockbuster oriental (cue: Opium, Coco) - this would be an obvious pick for you - they have Noir Epices but I don't really like it. They also don't have a classic aldehydic in the style of Chanel 5. (You have lots of good ones on your list already.) If Coco Mademoiselle is your thing, Portrait of a Lady is not similar but it has a rose-patchouli theme. (CM minus the bold citrus opening.)

Another worth considering is L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer. It's an oriental but has a woody unisex vibe and a good dose of vetiver too. Can be churchy though.

If you are interested in finding good perfumes, it's a great idea to smell a lot of different styles first just like you are doing. Then you will find one or more styles/notes you really like, and can start learning about them more in-depth.

Haberdashery well done! Another superb choice!

converseconvert Sun 30-Dec-12 23:27:51

Just read both threads and in awe of Dona's knowledge. Looking for advice on new fragrances to try out. For past few years I've been mainly using Boss Orange (the original, sunset and the limited editions) and thought I'd found my scent after years of changing every time needed new bottle. Now I've found I've went off it and want to experiment again but so much choice not got a clue where to start. In the past I've liked

Coco Mademoselle
YSL Cinema
Lancome Provocative Woman
Dior Addict 2
DKNY Be Delicious (original and red)
Nina (can't remember name but bottle shaped like an apple)
Avon Little Black Dress

Any suggestions would be great. Going to Boots tomorrow so will be having smell of some samples to see whats on market smile

CointreauVersial Sun 30-Dec-12 23:36:57

Haberdashery envy envy you lucky thing!

Where's the best place to buy the Tauers, by the way?

IsabelleRinging Mon 31-Dec-12 00:23:41

I am really missing the original D&G in red velvet box which is discontinued. Too worried about buying a dud to get one on ebay sad.

Does anyone like Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood, it's one of my all time faves? I find it smells like a bad girls bedroom and very sexy, which is appealing as I am a good girl.

Come to think of it, I do tend to lean towards heavier, sensual and 'big' perfumes, which is in contrast to my character really. Maybe I have a hidden diva in me?

DonaAna Mon 31-Dec-12 08:53:35

Converse, sweet light fruity floral scents and perhaps heliotrope /mimosa scents might work on you. Coco Mademoiselle is not easy to classify, you could say it's a fruitchouli, but it also has a very bold citrus note, and some say it's a modern chypre.

If you like Cinema, a good heliotrope / mimosa is easiest to find in niche perfumes - Farnesiana by Caron, Une Fleur de Cassie by Frederic Malle, L'Eau d'Hiver also by Malle. If you like it lighter and less opulent, the cute and pretty Mimosa pour moi by L'Artisan would work. All of these are not normal department store finds - you can sample them at Les Senteurs (or order samples from them). Cinema has a light amber vibe too so a mainstream perfume that does that well is L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermes.

But because you seem comfortable with mainstream perfumes, the best approach is just to go to the department store, spray a lot on strips and pick the one you like best for skin testing.

I sprayed some Mimosa pour moi on my wrists. Light, sweet, pale yellow, cute and fuzzy, with a slight green tinge and saltiness, just like mimosa flowers.

Cointreau I buy my Tauers either locally here in Italy or directly from the perfumer via mail order, but I think the best UK sources are Les Senteurs and Scent and Sensibility. Crystal Flacon has decants of some of his best-known perfumes.

DonaAna Mon 31-Dec-12 09:00:28

Oh, and I have a few perfumista friends who have hundreds of bottles. They have bought most of them online. Duds are possible but not as common as you'd think - mostly it's reputable sellers, small perfumeries, and private people getting rid of unwanted gifts/perfumes they no longer need.

I'm not a huge online customer as I live near some of the world's best profumerie, but every perfume I've ever bought from eBay has smelled authentic and been in good condition. Obviously if it looks too bargainous for no good reason, it can be a fake.

shoeprincess2 Mon 31-Dec-12 09:31:52

I have used both Les Senteurs and Scent & Sensibility for ordering Tauer perfumes. Both great service and lovely packaging. Isabelle- not a fan of Boudoir. I don't like cumin in fragrances. But yes, it does smell very dirty wink

pocketandsweet Mon 31-Dec-12 13:20:18

My L' Artisan discovery pack arrived! 5 adorable little black glass globes ( with the daftest bottle closing that has resulted in my current cocktail of all 5 mixed together). I will need to wait awhile and then perhaps smell one each day so I can get a better sense of what is what.... But the cocktail smells pretty good;)

harbingerofdoom Mon 31-Dec-12 15:35:47

Hi,Isabelle I'm a huge Lotila Lempicka fan.There were two perfumes in the little blue/turquoise bottle L de LL and Coral flower. Both of these are by Maurice Roucel and produced as 'sister' perfumes. The Coral LL may be a limited edition. Beware-the bottles are the same apart from the trinkets on the top.

YouOldTinsellySlag Mon 31-Dec-12 16:28:00

Isabelle, don't discount ebay. I've bought loads off there and it's usually a case of people having a clear out or selling unwanted gifts. If it's a dud you can leave neg feedback and get a refund but in all my ebay/perfume buying experience, I have always got the genuine article, so give it a try!

converseconvert Mon 31-Dec-12 16:47:30

I had a browse around Debenhams today as Boots was mobbed and quite liked Boss Nuit at first but as it developed went off it. Spayed Lovestruck a little too liberally and was overpowered by it at first but did settle nicely.

I will definitely be checking out Les Senteurs to order samples in a few days when post back to normal. Thanks for recommendation smile

DonaAna Mon 31-Dec-12 17:25:15

Happy new year all perfumistas! Here's to new discoveries for everyone!

Converse Les Senteurs is a perfume paradise. And Pocket's L'Artisan melange sounds fabulous. Use sellotape to reseal, it's tricky but the small round bottles are very cute (and so French - stylish but impossibly impractical).

I'm not sure what to wear yet (Mimosa has faded) but Loretta is pretty high on my list. <big blast of tuberose>

ThatsNice Mon 31-Dec-12 17:45:04

Happy new year to you all smile
I'm off to work the night shift but shall be wafting it in wearing Chanel coromandel grin

coffeeinbed Mon 31-Dec-12 17:47:13

Happy New Year!
I'm thinking Parfum des Merveilles tonight, seems fitting.

IsabelleRinging Tue 01-Jan-13 15:57:12

Has anyone ever bought from 'The London Perfume Company' online? They have some really good deals, but my browser keeps telling me the site is not trusted.

qwertina Tue 01-Jan-13 16:38:06

Happy New Year to you all!

I have been lurking around this thread for ages.

Well I have discovered my worst perfume ever - Penhaligon's Bluebell which I got for Christmas from well meaning MIL. I find it so horrible and sick inducing and I want it out of my house ASAP. Can't be bothered with Ebay so if anyone fancies a swap for their unwanted present let me know smile

DonaAna Tue 01-Jan-13 18:33:34

I've heard Bluebell was Mrs Thatcher's signature wink

qwertina Tue 01-Jan-13 18:58:57

I know though I didn't mention it as I am trying to get rid of it on here smile
Apparently Princess Diana used to use it too.
It is the only scent that actually makes me sick. I am so gonna have to sell it on ebay aren't I

pocketandsweet Tue 01-Jan-13 20:05:33

On the plus side I think you will get quite a bit for it on eBay. I have a bottle I have been meaning to sell- it seems to sell well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now