Budding perfumistas walk this way- Part 2 of the Worst Perfumes ever

(989 Posts)
shoeprincess2 Tue 13-Nov-12 13:23:54

As the first thread is nearly full, I've set up Part 2

After reading about oud on s&b, I asked dh to bring me some back from Dubai where he was for work. He picked through lots and lots of perfumes and found one that he liked that wasn't too overpowering and that was an average price (he said about £90). No idea what it's called as the writing is in Arabic but its from aoud gallery. Two friends asked me separately what perfume I was wearing today, both telling me that it was a really lovely smell! Really chuffed, my dh did well and thank you s&b grin

DonaAna Mon 03-Dec-12 13:38:53

Well done, lovely and unique - I'm envy actually!

DonaAna Mon 03-Dec-12 13:43:25

Shoe I love L'air!
Have just put on some Spanish Leather from a new decant.
I really like this too. (After days or weeks of feminines, I always have to pick a classic masculine. They revive my senses. Geranium pour Monsieur by Malle is great too.)

shoeprincess2 Mon 03-Dec-12 13:55:43

I have 3 more to test from my order- Lonestar Memories, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre and Tokamande. I also have some more Tauers winging their way to me, so looking forward to testing them. I'll almost have all of his collection. Spanish leather- gorgeous sounding. Yes, L'air is just fabulous. Really enjoyed wearing it- we had a family trip out into the city centre and it just suited the mood of the day (cold weather, seeing your breath in the air and having to wear hat, gloves and scarves!)

kiwigirl42 Mon 03-Dec-12 14:10:07

shoeprincess2 I found Violet Blonde a bit too cedar-y for me. I think cedar is the note in Acqua di Parma perfumes which makes them smell a bit like aftershave even if I love the rest. But I could be making that up <wink>
Let me know how the Tonkamande smells. I like Teint d'neige but have been putting a tiny dab of Lipstick Rose under it to increase the rose factor and it makes it even more gorgeous

Just been in a scrum in TKMaxx but no perfume. LOTS of soap though. They sell the most amazing heavy crackle glass round Xmas baubles (feel solid) with a little silver cap for £2.99. I get a couple every year. This years are about 6 inches across and silver. I love having proper solid old fashioned decorations (+ the Bob the Builder one DS chose when he was 3. I love going through the ones I've bought for him when I decorate the tree. He isn't interested in the least though. Typical male!)

Wearing Shalimar EDT on one wrist and EDP on the other. I prefer EDT - much more citrussy and lively. Lasts longer on me also but both have almost disappeared in 2 hrs. I prefer pure parfum Shalimar but am out of it (its wonderful to wear to bed!)

shoeprincess2 Mon 03-Dec-12 14:31:42

I shall try the lipstick rose/ teint de neige combo kiwi. Interesting about the cedar. Is that all the AdPs or just the Blu Mediterraneo range?

DonaAna Mon 03-Dec-12 15:13:41

Kiwi Habit Rouge is worth trying if you fancy a masculine (but not a really stereotypical masculine) take on Shalimar. The new Shalimar flanker intrigues me - I haven't seen it anywhere yet so haven't tried it.

I automatically associate Acqua di Parma EdC with well-dressed older Italian gentlemen - their female counterparts always seem to wear Teint de Neige. AdP colognes are unisex though, and their bottles are some of the most beautiful I know. I have some male friends who have worn TdN, but that's definitely a more daring move.

kiwigirl42 Mon 03-Dec-12 15:51:01

I love Mandorlo di Sicilia (fancy that?) but its ever so slightly too woody at drydown.

Which Shalimar flanker Dona? They come out thick and fast. I've put Shalimar Ode a la Vanille sur la route de Madagascar on my Pinterest Dream sheet (different from my Xmas list - I'm not expecting to get anything from my Dream sheet unless DH feels especially keen to impress!). It sounds lovely.

kiwigirl42 Mon 03-Dec-12 15:53:40

ps will try Habit Rouge. I thought I'd like L'heure Bleu (damm, forgot to give someone a sample I promised, just remembered!) as I thought it was like a less sweet Shalimar but I don't like it at all. I've only tried once though so must try again.

shoeprincess2 Mon 03-Dec-12 16:13:44

Habit Rouge is lovely. I tested it whilst skulking round the Guerlain counter. I do so like Guerlain's cosmetics as well.

coffeeinbed Mon 03-Dec-12 16:15:28

I love cedar.
Might try Violet Blonde.
Today - Feminité du Bois.
Whenever I wear this I wonder why I actually bother with anything else. It's this perfect.

DonaAna Mon 03-Dec-12 18:05:48

I'm after the Shalimar flanker with the longest imaginable name - the Ode yada yada Madagascar wink I've sampled the other recent ones but am intrigued by this one. Wouldn't mind having it a present (several not too expensive ones on ebay.de), but would not prefer to buy blind.

L'heure is a beautiful perfume but too mature still on me. (Mature as in graceful, confident, radiant, not old and bitter.) Anise in perfume is always divisive. Heliotrope is another love/hate ingredient, people perceive it as excessively powdery, play-doh, or marzipan. I simply love heliotrope - one of my favorite perfumes is Farnesiana by Caron. (It was launched in 1947, the year of Dior's New Look, which I love. Even the name is perfect - it reminds me of Rome, acacia trees and mimosa flowers and one of the most beautiful sights here - Villa Farnesina.)

FdB is lovely too. I stupidly lent my sample to someone, and never got it back. Should really get a new one.

coffeeinbed Mon 03-Dec-12 19:10:10

I'd love to try it as well.
On a tangent though, the Chanel ads with Brad Pitt have been driving bonkers.
What pretentious witless drivel.

CointreauVersial Mon 03-Dec-12 21:45:48

I tried a few of the Dueto samples at the weekend. I wore City Oud yesterday; it was okaaaay, a bit meh at first, but the woody notes got nicer and nicer as the day wore on.

This morning I had a squirt of City Love, but oh dear, it lasted about two minutes before I had to scrub it off. It had a really unpleasant violet/lilac-type note. I was heading straight out of the door to work, and I couldn't afford to wait to see if it got any better. I'll try it again when I have more time.

I ended up wearing Golden Boy, which was a bit like a "scratchy" version of Tom Ford Tuscan Leather; not as smooth and strong but still pretty good.

Tomorrow I shall be Lady Cool (really, who thought of those names?!)

kiwigirl42 Tue 04-Dec-12 00:22:43

dona think the new Shalimar has leather notes which is probably why you like it!

shoeprincess2 Wed 05-Dec-12 12:09:13

This thread has been bumping down the order, so I shall bump it back up again. I am sounding the swap klaxon- I have a bottle of Dior's Escale Aux Marquises. About 95% full- bought on a whim in the summer but sitting gathering dust. If anyone would like to swap for some decants/ unwanted perfume or anything else, PM me. Otherwise, mummy shoe will be getting another freebie!

I got my mitts on a sample of Tubereuse Criminalle (anniewoo are you reading?) I love it. Yes, it is petrolly to start with, but for someone who loves the smell of petrol/ rubber/ tarmac, it was fine. It settles to a lovely soft floral, so am so pleased to have finally tried it!

coffeeinbed Wed 05-Dec-12 12:27:58

I'll bump it up as well.
Really want to give Le Labo Iris another try.
Has anyone tried it and what do you think?
I generally love the papery feel of iris and this one is deeper and warmer than say, Hiris, which I love.

spaghettina Wed 05-Dec-12 14:35:22

just checking in... popped into a shop an hour ago and tried Coco Noir and Dolce & Gabbana pour femme - don't like either of them, D&G is cloyingly sweet while Coco Noir is not "Noir" at all and is getting up my nose and giving me a headache... was really looking for something for MIL's Xmas present, not for myself.
(But managed to get a gorgeous sniff of N° 5..must get some more of that soon!)

The new Kenzo (Madly?) smells nice on paper but perhaps a bit girly... she loves J'Adore by Dior, but I don't want to be boring and get something she's already had. Nor do I want to give her a perfume I might want to "adopt" myself wink

Any suggestions?? Am now thinking maybe 24 Faubourg or something like that..

CointreauVersial Wed 05-Dec-12 23:40:13

L'Air du Desert Marocain again today - oh my goodness, I love it even more than last time. It kept me warm on a chilly day.

DonaAna Thu 06-Dec-12 08:18:57

Cointreau DH wears Desert Marocain a lot (so I don't need to) - and he got complimented at work yesterday by an Italian lady. I really love it and it's one of my favorite perfumes ever.

I stopped by the Dior boutique yesterday and put on some Oud Ispahan. (Probably the 5th time I'm trying it.) It's a rose oud with a grand sillage. Can still feel it as a skin scent 18 hours later. This might be a Christmas present for me. I wish they did less gigantic bottles - 125ml ("small" wink) is a gargantuan size, I'd be happy with 10 or 15 ml... La Collection Privée is worth knowing, if you have access to Dior boutiques, try a few of them. Eau Noire is a licorice-immortelle, Leather Oud is a really butch leather, Grand Bal is a great jasmine, Mitzah and Ambre Nuit elegant light ambers, and Granville a refreshing piney scent. They are not well-known, you will come across very few people who wear them. (Hermes and Chanel exclusives are everywhere - I smelled Ambre Narguile on a Russian tourist yesterday when I walked through Villa Borghese.)

Spaghettina One of the perfume bloggers who is in the industry mentioned that lots of household cleaning products are being formulated to imitate J'Adore - so maybe a few years down the line we all will associate it with stove cleaner or other glamorous things. So maybe 24 Faubourg is a safer choice - it has remained a classy classic for a few decades already...

What are you wearing today? I'm still in the process of deciding. Need a perfume that fits a camel wool jersey, jeans and a pair of chestnut boots that I'm breaking in...

DonaAna Thu 06-Dec-12 09:04:41

I think I found the perfect jeans-and-boots perfume - Puredistance M. They say this is a tasteful take on James Bond wink

Normally eyewateringly expensive, but very reasonable if sourced from Crystal Flacon (I see no point in buying perfume from Next or Zara when for the same upfront investment I get to wear some of the most exquisite things ever made). Worth trying if you like spicy orientals. Unisex, actually quite soft and seductive on a man, and feels just right on me. Wearing time is 12+ hours as it's an extrait de parfum.

DolomitesDonkey Thu 06-Dec-12 09:23:02

DonaAna Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you have a blog? I've been really inspired by your posts and I'm ALL over the Piguets right now. I was given some samples and until your posts I'd assumed they were just "crap" as I was stuck in the mainstream - so thank you!

DonaAna Thu 06-Dec-12 10:27:41

No Donkey - I used to have one but it took too much of my writing time (I'm supposed to write for work wink - have sometimes thought about writing a book on perfume but work has gotten so busy recently that it doesn't look like the book will materialize any time soon. I do recommend Dariush Alavi's Le Snob - Perfume and Turin & Sanchez. The former is more manageable in size - about 100 really great perfumes to explore.)

Piguets are great. Many of their old great ones have been reconstructed with real care, and as a results some of them are very good. Fracas is a classic, and I've been smelling quite a few of other Piguets recently on strip but not on skin (no samples at hand and too lazy and busy to go to a perfumery to really try them on). I think I quite like Visa. I got a sample of Casbah with my latest purchase but have been too scared to try it - iirc from strip sampling it is a spicebomb. But may need to retry...

I'm so happy so many of you are being adventurous and wearing great perfumes! It always cheers me up when I smell something good on strangers. Even some of my perfume hater friends when they have smelled something great - a good perfume can also transparent and an understated skin scent.
A case in point: the new Hermes with a difficult-to-remember name (L'Ambre des merveilles): a perfume with sweetish amber and vanilla notes that is light, salty and transparent!

ThatsNice Thu 06-Dec-12 11:35:47

Is there a current discount code for surrender to chance? I thought there was one through December but I can't find the email in my inbox and want to place an another order wink

Uh oh, just been on luckyscent.com and bought a sample of l'air du desert marocain, plus a sampler of 4 decennial perfumes. Apart from ill advised bottles of angel and lolita lempicka in the early 90s, I never really knew what suited me and used to wear lots of light green florals but started wearing oud on Monday, since then 3 strangers (and a couple of friends) have asked me what perfume I was wearing (including a lady in a lift today, which was strange hmm). i have a new appreciation for perfumes and a horrible feeling that this could be an expensive interest. Can't stop sniffing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now