Budding perfumistas walk this way- Part 2 of the Worst Perfumes ever

(989 Posts)
shoeprincess2 Tue 13-Nov-12 13:23:54

As the first thread is nearly full, I've set up Part 2

Haberdashery Sat 24-Nov-12 21:45:49

I am continuing to adore Lonestar Memories. What an amazing perfume. When I first smelt it, I thought it would be the kind of thing I would wear once in a blue moon but there's something so comforting about it that I have had a tiny dab every night before I go to bed. I think this is going to be an actual whole bottle purchase.

DonaAna Sun 25-Nov-12 09:15:38

I'm wearing vintage extrait de parfum of Mitsouko. Holy cow, this is great! Subtle but yummy, not at all bitter stinky old lady (or worse yet, a mess of canned peach). Heavenly.

Haber this is what Tauers are to me, very intense and private, often worn to bed. Miriam I often wear to work - it's more brisk and businesslike but also has a mellow, sensual heart.

FuckingWonderwoman Sun 25-Nov-12 10:11:50

I am now the proud owner of a bottle of Coromandel. I love it. I also tried Sycomore, which I didn't like at first, but it settled down quite nicely. When you used to buy a bottle from Chanel Les Exclusifs, they used to chuck in some small sample bottles of the others for you to try - quite decent sized bottles - I think I got four with my last one. This time I got a teeny tiny phial of Chanel 22 (which I have already). I thought it was a bit tight of them.

I also went sniffin' in M & S as they have a huge perfume bit in the Marble Arch branch, where they stock Fragonard (I wear Grain de Soleil as well) and had lots of other stuff from small French and Italian perfumers, as well as the Lyn Harris stuff. Of the Lyn Harris perfumes, I liked the cologne, and some of the men's ones - Noir, I think was one of them. None of the small perfume houses did it for me.

shoeprincess2 Sun 25-Nov-12 10:20:54

Yesterday I spent wearing Incense Rose- very close to the skin indeed, but lasted the whole day and such a warm, beautiful smokey rose. Loved it. I have prepared another Les Scenteurs order:-
- Lonestar Memories (*Haberdashery*- your fault)
- Teint de Neige
- Tonkamande (*Kiwi*- I think you might like this one)
- Iris Poudre or Five o'Clock Gingembre

I also have enough Boots advantage points to purchase a bottle of perfume. Either Tom Ford Violet Blonde or Coco Chanel. I am taking votes...

Shoeprincess - do try the Five o'clock au Gingembre. I'm on my second bottle. It's a really lovely scent for this time of year.

scottishmummy Sun 25-Nov-12 12:06:53

penhaligons ESP ellenisia, peoneve
miller Harris coeur de fleur
molecule one

shoeprincess2 Sun 25-Nov-12 12:09:14

Thank you Wild Strawberry, I will do. In fact, I could just eat a gingerbread man.

You know, some years back, Miller Harris used to do a box of samples through their online shop and it was £6.95 for a sample of every one of her fragrances all in a gift box - happy days. Not any more though, they cottoned on pretty quickly.

Her Figue Amere is gorgeous - essence of dusty, salty figs growing by the sea.

scottishmummy Sun 25-Nov-12 12:14:27

like miller Harris and hope it doesnt get too known or too high st
after the rain Arran aromatics is also divine

Haberdashery Sun 25-Nov-12 12:14:30

Five O'Clock au Gingembre sounds lovely! I've added it to the list.

I'm feeling a bit responsible for the Lonestar sample purchase! Hope you like it. I can see it's not everyone's cup of tea...

scottishmummy Sun 25-Nov-12 12:15:41

dp bought me a session with penhaligons,made own perfume.fab

shoeprincess2 Sun 25-Nov-12 12:44:47

That sounds lovely scottishmummy- your own scent. What notes are in it? Don't worry haberdashery- I love perfume sampling. It sounds such a unique and fabulous scent. Anything that makes you constantly sniff yourself is worth a try!

DonaAna Sun 25-Nov-12 13:32:04

Vintage Mitsy is swoonworthy. Refined, restrained but full of nuances and close to skin.

Great purchases everyone; Chanel have indeed become stingy with freebies. The exception: Place Vendome Haute Parfumerie (they sent me samples of all Chanel exclusives with one bottle; samples of all Cartier exclusives with another, plus many Guerlains).

Scottishmummy - personal perfume sounds fab!

kiwigirl42 Sun 25-Nov-12 15:07:05

shoeprincess tonkamande is on my radar - I wonder how close to the skin it keeps though as it sounds gorgeous but without much sillage

I've been to big M&S in Bristol this morning (bought gorgeous build a bear bunny for MIL for Xmas) and tried lots of their niche perfumes. Lots of 'nice' but nothing really stood out.

I liked Les Senteurs Gourmandes perfumes, would be nice to wear in bed, sweet and vanilla - loaded. Vanilla Noir was nice.

I found the Lynn Harris ones very bitter including La Poudree.

I really liked one called Acorelle Absolu Tiare, it didn't smell of Tiare but was very lovely.

The Comptoir Sud Pacifique ones were all quite samey but one of them smelt really strongly of peanuts!

I wished I'd looked at the Fragonard ones better. I went to dept. store and looked at their niche stuff including Tom Ford but, you know, nothing really grabbed me. I think I'd worn out my nose. I managed to sell Louve and Mandorlo di Sicilia to a sales assistant who said she loves almonds and can never find anything!

So I've come home and scrubbed my arms bare and are wearing no perfume at all until later. Hope you all have a lovely Sunday

kiwigirl42 Sun 25-Nov-12 15:27:27

On further investigation, it appears you can buy Acorelle perfume samples here. It also looks like they do a Wheat Almond one (which of course M&S didn't have). Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Bet I would have loved it. Problem is, the sample set doesn't have the Tiare one in it. I'm going to see if I can get a sample of both to wear.

kiwigirl42 Sun 25-Nov-12 16:29:34

me again <<<echo>>>

I've just bought Acorelle Wheat Almond EDP as My Pure has it 20% off at present. I don't usually ever blind buy ...

CointreauVersial Sun 25-Nov-12 18:07:15

Today I'm trying L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea for Two - another gorgeous one! Seriously smoky at first, almost like a bonfire, but settled into a lovely warm milky spicy fragrance. DH liked it too. But it didn't seem to last that long.

coffeeinbed Sun 25-Nov-12 19:27:41

I had a bottle of Tea for two, it was a bit like apple pie type of thing.
Love the top, but then it got a bit too sweet for me.

kiwigirl42 Sun 25-Nov-12 19:35:35

Oh that sounds like something I'd like too. Adds to evergrowing list!

kiwigirl42 Mon 26-Nov-12 09:19:20

message I received from www.surrendertochance.com

Starting tonight Sunday, November 25th at midnight (EST) and going until midnight (EST) on Monday, November 26th, we will be offering free US shipping or $2.95 off International shipping. Use the code freeship to take advantage of this offer.

Cycling to school this morning, and as I turned the corner on to the main road, I was hit in the face by a wham of L'Air du Temps. 75 yards up the road was the culprit lady responsible, cycling ahead of me. 75 yards! More dash less splash, woman!

I used to love the old formula when I was younger and pinched it from my granny's dressing table, but it's very meh these days.

ooh thanks kiwi

DonaAna Mon 26-Nov-12 10:29:28

Old L'air du temps was great. Never really me - too suave and traditional somehow - but still admirable. (I admire Anais Anais in the same way.)

Wearing Lys Mediterranee from from the Malle collection. A well-made perfume, really captures both the heavy and narcotic lily and the green parts, very interesting, but also firmly off my comfort zone. It's like wearing orange lipstick or skyhigh stilettos - stylish and admirable, but not me. Anyhow definitely worth experimenting with, and who knows, maybe I will get hooked...

What are you ladies wearing today?

SorrelForbes Mon 26-Nov-12 10:32:24

Having spent the weekend in a cloud of Lonestar Menories and 1740 Marquis de Sade, I'm ringing the changes this morning with Molecule 01. It seems very delicate after my pungent weekend! I think it may be a bit 'light' for me.

Yesterday morning I also tried Penhaligon's Juniper Sling. Nice, but it lasted all of an hour.

Wearing a light misting of Jean-Marie Farina Extra Vieille. I'm tidying and writing this morning - I wanted no distractions smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now