Budding perfumistas walk this way- Part 2 of the Worst Perfumes ever

(989 Posts)
shoeprincess2 Tue 13-Nov-12 13:23:54

As the first thread is nearly full, I've set up Part 2

DonaAna Fri 23-Nov-12 14:18:34

Yep, Loretta is like crack cocaine <craving, hands shaking, where is my bottle> Others on the thread, do not try it, it can be addictive and cause withdrawal symptoms wink

I get a similar love/hate relationship with Une Rose Vermeille. It's really OTT, really teetering over the edge ( I have slight fruit/berry phobia), but sometimes I really love it - the jammy, luscious, dense, edible sweetness. I keep a sample in my travel makeup purse just in case (very few perfumes get to travel with me). Definitely not one for the baby group though...

If Lady Gaga knew anything about perfumes, she would have asked Andy Tauer to do her perfume - can you imagine anything more ballsy than Lonestar Memories? Une Rose Vermeille reminds me of her bacon dress - so crass it's actually quite good.

Ooh a terrible dilemma now - should I wear Une Rose Vermeille or Loretta?

DonaAna Fri 23-Nov-12 14:20:17

Shoe perfume goody bag sounds lovely. I've done some perfume evenings for some (uninitiated) friends - they have really seemed to enjoy them.

Can anyone help me in my search for a blackberry musk?

I smelled it in 1990 in France. It came from a perfumerie in St Germain En Laye (near Paris). I am sure it was called Mure Musc. It was a simple slighty cold mild musk that melded perfectly into the natural musk of ripe blackberries. Not overly fruity. This was the days before fruity perfumes. It smelled clean in the sillage, linen rather than fruits.

I have tried:

Mure et Musc and M et M extreme (Artisan) - not this, these are too sweet
Mure/Mure Musc/Musc et fruits by Molinard - these are too simple, they smell derivative and cheap
Mure Sauvage by Yves rocher - not enough musk
No 9 by Trish Mcevoy - too citrussy
Wild Blackberry musk by A Zaftig Woman - smelled like cheap home fragrance oil.

I am thinking it may have been L'Aromarine Mure Musc but I can't find a bottle of the spray anywhere.

Any suggestions gratefully received. It doesn't even have to be the same one, I just really want a blackberry musk in my repertoire.

CointreauVersial Fri 23-Nov-12 14:29:09

Thatsnice - Avon Little Black Dress is one of the samples I picked up. But today I'm in the Tauer club too - I am unintentionally sampling L'Air du Desert Marocain after opening the sample vial a little clumsily. (Is there a trick to opening those pesky things?)

Wow, how to describe? The top notes blasted out, almost menthol-like, with a very dry, stony, spicy note behind. It reminds me of something, but I don't know what. Very masculine at the moment. I only put it on a short while ago, so I shall leave to develop.

YouOldSlag Fri 23-Nov-12 14:30:34

Avon LBD is the best Avon perfume (or even the only good one) at the moment apart from the Christian Lacroix and Herve Leger ones they do.

DonaAna Fri 23-Nov-12 14:37:52

Wildstrawberry one more Mure Musc for you. Did you search eBay, also eBay.fr, perhaps setting up searches/notifications?

Decided to go for Une Rose Vermeille - haven't worn it in months (Loretta later). Yep, it is really jammy sponge - a great dessert grin.

Cointreau welcome to the club! L'air is unisex, both my DH and I use it. It's a huge perfume - a tiny droplet is enough. And it does evolve on skin.

kiwigirl42 Fri 23-Nov-12 15:40:42

I need to try Une Rose Vermeille pronto. I've escaped my leather coffin - don't think bondage is going to be my thing! Although a patient did tell me once I would make a good Dominatrix as I'm very tall with 36" inside legs!

I bought a perfume oil from the Perfume Parlor (mentioned upthread) that was a Shalimar- smell alike. Its actually rather good for £3. Its got the smell of dried down Shalimar pure parfum with none of the bergamoty top notes. Its good enough for me to keep sniffing my wrist and its lasted a good few hours so far. Very impressed. They have LOTS of different oils.

I placed a Surrender to Chance order for some Montales - Amande Orientale (of course, you know I should be called Mandorlo), Aoud Damascus, Deep Rose, Tiare Intense and Powder Flowers. I really wanted to try Attar too but they didn't have it.
I'm hoping they don't have the funny plasticky note of Sweet Oriental Dream but I think that may be a characteristic of some gourmands, perhaps the candyfloss note.

DonaAna Fri 23-Nov-12 16:04:08

Kiwi Montales are really strong stuff and many of them are extremely long-lasting. Aoud Lime is a perfume that actually hurts my nose - a great extreme experience wink
I have quite a few Montale samples, so let me know when you receive yours - we can smell some in tandem. My sample of Amandes Orientales is actually sticky on the outside...

For reasons I cannot quite fathom, I also have a 50ml bottle of Montale's Chocolate Greedy. It smells exactly of hazelnut chocolate and nutella, and is not exactly a sophisticated and adult fragrance. I do get to have some lapses of taste don't I

Smelling Une Rose Vermeille. I feel it has a bald spot in the middle. Jammy, luscious, uses lots of naturals, but there is definitely a strange furless spot there.

ThatsNice Fri 23-Nov-12 20:19:31

Shoeprincess my ex bought me little red dress as he knew I loved lbd so much (as did he). I hated it but didn't have the heart to tell him. I binned it when we split blush smelled of weird sherbet sweets on me!

My sample set came today from dueto. I sprayed them all on tissue paper to get a flavour. Golden boy...eurgh! Instant headache sad really, really reminds me of a popular mainstream aftershave that used to make me feel very nauseous but I'm
Buggered I can recall what it was. I like the city oud tho and have just sprayed on one arm and trying lady cool on the other but lady cool is potent . Is it like Paris it's reminding of...no something else???God I'm useless pinpointing fragrances, lol!
Uselss identifying

ThompsonTwins Fri 23-Nov-12 20:21:22

Rive Gauche by Yves St Laurent. Revolting.

ThatsNice Fri 23-Nov-12 20:35:39

Agreed TT!

Haberdashery Fri 23-Nov-12 21:02:52

Just goes to show how different everyone is! I love Rive Gauche.

Haberdashery Fri 23-Nov-12 21:04:39

Oh, and today's sample was Black March. Goodness. I think this might be everything I love in a perfume - the leaves, the coolness, the lightness. But it lasts about ten minutes tops. It's lovely, but I'm not buying a proper bottle.

ThatsNice Fri 23-Nov-12 21:33:01

Gonna have to scrub lady cool off. i am finding it really unpleasant. Wish i could identify what it is in it i don't like confused Still liking city oud though smile

HyvaPaiva Fri 23-Nov-12 22:54:58

I haven't caught up with the latest of these wonderful threads, just jumping to the end to tell you of the wonderful Fracas bargain at Harvey Nichols. 100ml EDP costs £110. The current holiday coffret is the 100ml EDP plus 200ml body lotion plus 15% off and costs £93.50. Great for tuberose fans (I learned here that it's the reference tuberose and it fits me like a glove). Perfect Christmas gift ...to self grin

DonaAna Sat 24-Nov-12 07:19:54

I've never smelled Lady Cool but here is a description on Basenotes.
Orange Blossom is a divisive ingredient - think perfumey, Middle Eastern and orange blossom water. Tonka and vanilla make a perfume sweet, sometimes cloying. Pear gives a perfume a synthetic bubble bath vibe, and sandalwood has a thick creaminess that reminds me a bit of newborn poo.

Haber I like Black March too. To me, it's more about an in-the-moment experience than something to wear all day. Many if the quirkier perfumes would become really tedious if they lingered all day long. Spray on hair or your clothes (check first that it doesn't stain though) if you want to experience it for a longer time.

Great Fracas treat HyvaPaiva!

kiwigirl42 Sat 24-Nov-12 11:18:27

thatsnice I received my samples too and tried Golden Boy this morning on both my husband and I - we didn't like it either.

I've currently got Aqua di Parma Iris Nobile on one wrist (really potent, smells like gardenia and orange blossoms on me, minimal iris, well made smooth, makes me feel well dressed and older)

on the other wrist, as reference for the iris, I have Prada Infusion d'Iris (really close to my skin, there is something my nose can't smell - does that make sense. I sniff, smell it then smell nothing then smell it again. Its weird. I like it though - not as dramatic as Iris Silver Mist Serge Lutens - that is a rollercoaster ride of Iris from tip to root via the earthy field!)

Oh My God.

I just got my samples of Coromandel.

I had to run to scrub it off. A case of money doesn't talk it swears. Whoa there.

kiwigirl42 Sat 24-Nov-12 11:28:27

LoL wildstrawberryplace less is more sometimes. Isn't it funny how different our noses are and our perception of odours/ accords.

I've been looking at the Perfumer's Apprentice site where you can actually buy the individual chemicals and bases to make perfume. Really interesting site.

CointreauVersial Sat 24-Nov-12 12:21:27

wildstrawberry - Coromandel takes a little while to settle down - it smells quite medicinal at first on me. But gorgeous thereafter.

Well, I wouldn't say I love the L'Air du Desert Marocain, but it did get nicer as the afternoon wore on. I kept getting flashbacks to the 1970s, for some reason, must be some childhood smell from my subconscious. Funnily enough, it smelled gorgeous on yesterday's jumper when I put it away.

Today, Ninfeo Mio - lovely, lovely! Very easy to wear, warm and figgy. It's the first one for a while that DH has liked; he's a bit hmm about my sudden departure from the safe greens and fruity florals he's used to smelling on me.

LtheWife Sat 24-Nov-12 16:47:33

Well ladies, you've inspired me to dig out an old bottle of perfume that DH bought home from work a few years ago and had been all but forgotten, Hardy Amies. I think I wore it once or twice but found it a bit too full on at the time as I hadn't ventured beyond the perfume counter in boots back then. I've not been able to find it in any of the fragrance databases but did manage to find an old press release from when it was launched.

'I wanted to make a perfume that's very sophisticated, very, very tailored and soigné — a scent that reveals itself as something rude, said perfumer Roja Dove, adding he was inspired by the fact that women wearing couture are told not to wear underwear, since the outfit's perfect fit makes it unnecessary. To reflect that rudeness — or sexiness — Dove added jasmine notes to the formula.

The chypre juice also includes notes of petitgrain, clary sage, ylang extrait from Comeres, patchouli, lemon oil, chamomile, bergamot and myrrh, as well as absolutes of foin, tabac and rose.'

Well Roja Dove got it spot on, it's certainly rude! It's still a bit OTT but I can definitely appreciate it more now. One for special evenings out though, especially since I've found out how much it cost and that there were only ever 500 bottles produced.

DonaAna Sat 24-Nov-12 17:39:32

L that sounds really exquisite! Many intriguing notes - I love petitgrain, clary sage and and have a weakness for ylang-ylang. Myrrh in big amounts is scary (Myrrhe et Delires for example) but I usually like it if it's well blended. And I love the hint of carnal in perfumes.

Strawberry Coromandel is not for everyone. You have to like orientals, gourmands and patchouli to like it - not everyone does. Patchouli in particular is a love/hate note.

I quite like 1970s men's classic fougeres, such as Azzaro and Paco Rabanne. Have been thinking about getting vintage minis for myself. Tauer's style is the total opposite of modern mainstream - he has a large fan base because everything he does is really unique. But, like I said, no perfume pleases everyone.

Kiwi in Italy, Acqua di Parma perfumes are often worn by older people - they have been around for a while.

I quite like Rive Gauche. To me it's like a cubist painting, stimulating but not a comfort scent.

I've worn Seville a l'aube in the morning (it is an intriguing and unique fragrance) and am now indulging in Loretta. Finally.

LillianGish Sat 24-Nov-12 17:56:22

I used to hate Angel - 15 years ago when I was travelling to Paris see my now dh on the Eurostar every weekend everyone seemed to be wearing it, v overpowering, not my sort of thing at all. The funny thing is now, whenever I get a whiff of it, it reminds me of that time and consequently I love it (though wouldn't wear it!). In fact taking the Eurostar to Paris with dh and the dcs a couple of weeks ago I was actually dying to smell it and actually went into a perfumerie to squirt a sample to use as a bookmark!

Dona I do love all those things, particularly patchouli, so I was very disappointed sad I think I don't get on with Chanel though, I have never loved a Chanel. To me this smells like something a rich middle aged woman would wear - and not in a good way.

CointreauVersial Sat 24-Nov-12 21:01:36

wildstrawberry, strangely, I dislike patchouli (the dusty old hippy smell, anyway), but I love Coromandel!

I'm 45, so certainly middle-aged, but not as rich as I'd like with all these flipping perfumes I'm now buying. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now