Gel nail disaster, help please.

(16 Posts)
homeaway Wed 14-Nov-12 17:42:02

Poor you, how awful !!!! Have you got any neutrogena hand cream that might help your sore nail beds ? Vitamin bs will help the nails strengthen again.

ElectricSoftParade Wed 14-Nov-12 16:16:06

Once again, thanks for the replies. She is qualified and I have seen her work on a friend's nails but the ones she did for me were a complete mess.

I had them filed off on Friday but am still shuddering from it. I was supposed to get my hair cut that afternoon but had to cancel because I couldn't bear anyone else to touch me after all that filing. <bit precious but shuddery>.

Like I said above I am using a hardener but wonder if an oil might be more gentle <clutching at straws but not with my sore fingers sad>.

JustAnotherLlama Wed 14-Nov-12 14:23:08

Damn, didn't realise it was an old post sad should remember to look at post dates

JustAnotherLlama Wed 14-Nov-12 14:21:03

Gel nails don't need to be filed, that's the attraction of them in the first place. As someone's said - take a photo before you do anything to remove them, it would be better for her to see them herself so she can remove then refund you.

To remove them she should do an acetone soak off with nail wraps, do NOT let her file them off or soak your nails in a bowl of acetone.

Hopefully you'll have a better experience next time, just make sure you find someone new.

EuroShagmore Wed 14-Nov-12 14:19:20

Bloody hell! She sounds like a complete cowboy (cowgirl?)

Pseudonymity Wed 14-Nov-12 14:14:36

This is what puts me off gel nails. I've heard they sometimes remove them by filing so it damages the nail underneath. Sorry about your experience OP. Hope someone will be along soon to advise you.

Teeb Wed 14-Nov-12 13:49:33

Aw, she sounds awful to be honest with you. Where did you find her? Do you know what qualifications she has?

ElectricSoftParade Wed 14-Nov-12 12:35:36

Many thanks for your replies. I had the nails taken off by filing (scuse language but that was fucking awful) and now my nails are just wrecked.

I am using a Sally Hansen hardener but wondered if anything else would help. My nails are very thin, weak and bendy . She also managed to "burn" two nail beds with the filing, so they are a bit sore. sad

Once my nails have recovered, I will NEVER fiddle about with them again. EVER!

CaroleService Fri 09-Nov-12 13:41:09

Don'r do anything until she's seen them, or she won't refund! Can you take a picture on your camera phone and text it to her?

ElectricSoftParade Thu 08-Nov-12 22:31:46

Thanks for your replies. I am waiting for her to text back but at least I know what to do if she doesn't.

PAH! First night out in ages tomorrow night and thought I would give myself a treat. Bloody hell, I'm getting my hair cut tomorrow - eeek!

Tamdin Thu 08-Nov-12 22:24:32

It sounds like the top layer didn't bond under the UV light. They should def last 2-3 weeks without any peeling. The nail technician should see you tomorrow and buff off the top layer and repaint. Free of charge!

Maraki Thu 08-Nov-12 22:23:46

Or you can buy pure acetone from any high street chemist for a pound. Make sure you file the surface first to 'break the seal' and enable the acetone to penetrate. Keep the acetone on for at least 15mins. If the gel doesnt come off easily repeat the soak otherwise you will ruin your natural nails.
Oh and ask for your money back!

mirpuppet Thu 08-Nov-12 22:21:24

Yes -- you need acetone and you take a cotton ball for each finger -- soak in acetone place on the finger and wrap in aluminum foil.

It is a faff -- you should let the women take it off and refund your money.

OohMrDarcy Thu 08-Nov-12 22:20:56

What Beau said

God knows what the nail woman did though - my gels lasted 2/3 weeks before I had any peeling at the edges

BeauNeidel Thu 08-Nov-12 22:20:06

If you have any pure acetone that'll do it. You can get it from Sainsbury's. Wrap in acetone soaked cotton wool, then put a wrap of foil round each nail. Helps it come off.

ElectricSoftParade Thu 08-Nov-12 22:14:37

I had gel nails done today and they looked ok. Just been in the shower and 2 nails have sort of peeled away and the others look all wrinkly. Just texted the nail woman who did them to see if she can fit me in tomorrow to take the rotten stuff off but, if she can't, is there a way to do it myself.

They look rotten. sad Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now