Okay, so I know other people have raved about getting their colours done before, but it is AMAZING!

(43 Posts)
ColdWinterMorning Wed 07-Nov-12 15:53:21

I've namechanged so as not to out myself in rl since I've been telling lots of people about this (but have been on mn since 2007, mostly lurking), but I got my colours done recently and it was amazing. Until I started reading the s&b boards earlier this year, I hadn't even heard of it (actually, thinking about it, I seem to be trying to live my life according to s&b, including using the oil cleansing method, coconut oil on my hair, and the wearing of scarves!). I've tended to stick to safe black in the past, but wanted to be bolder, but wasn't really sure what would suit me (and with two dc, time to wander round the shops isn't exactly in great supply).

I saw a House of Colour rep, who went through it all in a lot of detail. The best bit was sitting swathed in the scarves, and seeing the differences that a small change in shading can make to my complexion. Other posters had said that you can really see a difference, but until you see it yourself, you don't realise quite what it's like.

We started with the darker end of the spectrum, Autumn and Winter, as I have dark hair and dark eyes. The scarves were layered up in a mix of the seasons, e.g. a green from Autumn, and a green from Winter, a blue from Autumn, a blue from Winter, etc. As they were removed one at a time (not in a dance of the seven veils type way wink), you could really tell which scarves were from the correct season as they really lit up my face. It was kind of like 'okay, okay, wow!, okay, great, okay, wow!' as they were removed and a new one could be seen.

Of the thirty-odd colours in the season, there were about three which didn't look right on me, lots that looked good (including black, thankfully!), and about half-a-dozen which looked amazing (mostly bold, jewel-like colours, although also dark charcoal grey. I am a sultry winter; that may be the only aspect of my life that can be called sultry, but I like it!). It's given me a lot to think about, and I've done a quick bit of window shopping since. I found myself glancing round a shop quickly, and focusing in on areas with 'my' colours in, and ignoring the rest of the shop.

If it's something you're vaguely thinking about, I highly recommend it, and thank you mn, for telling me about it in the first place!

PigeonPie Thu 08-Nov-12 09:23:55

Morris - having seen how my colours worked, DH decided to do the 'men's session' and tbh it's fantastic. I now have his swatch and can go out and buy stuff when I see it and he will accept what I have bought because it's going to be in the right colours and style. Whereas before, he'd reject half the things I'd bought and not be happy with the others!

It's mainly shirts I buy for him as I live near Bicester Village and can run into Charles Tyrwhitt and get him offers which he wouldn't have time to get himself.

It definitely makes life much easier!

I'm a deep Autumn by the way!

Hopefully Thu 08-Nov-12 10:03:55

My DH loves knowing his colours (pastel summer) because he loathes shopping, and it enables him to place two big online orders a year, keep 2/3 of it, and not think about it again grin

mad what was it you found unclear? Maybe we can help. And remember that you're not limited to just 36 colours, but <recites> 1/4 of the colours in the entire world

HazleNutt Thu 08-Nov-12 10:23:19

Oh yes, it works on DHs too - mine is a summer and used to look washed out and green in his black and khaki sweaters. Looks so much better in light blue now.

madmomma Thu 08-Nov-12 14:11:05

Hopefullyyou're so kind to care thanks<was it my passive agressive moan?>
She (the consultant) said I look shit in greens, and I love green!
Am not supposed to wear black, but half my wardrobe is black!
All the colours I like wear me IYSWIM

PerryCombover Thu 08-Nov-12 14:17:09

To be honest I thought it was a dire ad too.
Soz

anniewoo Thu 08-Nov-12 16:11:50

I am a warm spring with CMB- what would that be with House of Colour does anybody know please.

ColdWinterMorning Thu 08-Nov-12 16:29:10

Annie, I don't know how to compare them, but on the Kettlewell webpage, there's a section called tonal directions here
www.kettlewellcolours.co.uk/colour-club-127/the-seasons-as-tonal-directions

& the "warm dominants" (?) are either spring or autumn. Maybe that means you would still be a spring in HoC?

MaureenLove Thu 08-Nov-12 20:10:44

My h is a winter. And knows it.

anniewoo Sun 11-Nov-12 16:04:19

Perry what do you mean?

fridgepants Sun 11-Nov-12 17:11:20

Why would they cover your hair if it's dyed? My natural colour is a very pale grey-brown. I've been dying it red since I was 16, meaning pinks, oranges and most purples clash horribly with my chosen hair colour despite probably toning with my natural one.

I get confused looking at it, because I have a strong idea of what colours really suit me, and I see my favourite colours to wear in all palettes, not just one.

MrsjREwing Sun 11-Nov-12 17:25:46

Poor op just excited about her experience coming across as stealth advertising.

fridge If dyed hair is left uncovered, it's more likely that it will be difficult to get a clear reading from the drapes, because it's tempting as a consultant to match to what looks good with the hair, rather than just what looks good with the skintone. It doesn't mean that once you have your colours done you need to stop dying your hair, in fact it will mean you can choose a hair colour which really looks great.

Same rule above applies to fake tan / earrings / coloured glasses frames.

madmomma Just because pastel colours are the best on you, doesn't mean you can't wear the other Summer colours - there are a couple of soft greens in there. There are variations of all the colours in all the seasons, though they are very different (e.g. lavender vs royal purple vs violet).

annie I'm confused - all Springs are warm!

Itsafineline Sun 11-Nov-12 23:04:43

Travel - I think that Kettlewell table is referring to the most important thing - or dominant trait in your palette. Springs are warm clear and light, but not all springs have these features equally. For example, some springs can take much brighter colours than others and sit close to winter's palette. In their case, clear is more important than warm, although they are still warm.

Different system to House of Colour then, in which all Springs can wear all Spring colours, though some will be extra good!

Hopefully Mon 12-Nov-12 08:48:34

Mad I agree with Travel - there are three good sea-green colours in Summer. In fact the deep summer green is one of my most favourite colours from a season that isn't mine, iykwim. Even if they aren't the best up by your face, you can always break up the colour with jewellery etc.

fridge although your colours might tone in with your natural hair, they will also tone in with tons of hair dye colours - some people just choose, eg a more burgundy red than auburn, or vice versa, depending on season. There is no rule that says you have to stick with your natural colour thereafter.

madmomma Wed 14-Nov-12 16:09:42

thanks guys. I guess I just need to get my head around some new greens.

Dru77 Wed 14-Nov-12 18:25:43

Totally persuaded. Have an appt with HoC on 24th!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now