M N Vogue vol 3

(1000 Posts)
shopafrolic Thu 18-Oct-12 22:09:57

A continuation of style chat for anyone wanting to talk fashion, new purchases etc.....

Hope you find your way back to us Dona!

I'm game for knitting - I want to do a really chunky rib neon scarf.

DonaAna Sat 26-Jan-13 17:09:50

Ooh Liberty and Amber great. What is maddening with knit patterns is that often you have a specific yarn (right color, right material) but then trying to find the right pattern for it is very difficult. (Ok maybe not for a scarf wink). Might need to double check Vogue/Ravelry etc.

I have a friend who is one of the most stylish people I've ever met. She does 'conceptual' handknit clothes for herself - think Comme des Garcons and edgy people from Antwerp. She wears a lot of layered things, which I cannot do (I look like a beggar shopping at Goodwill if I do). I need something quite fitted and streamlined, too slouchy won't do.

MarshaBrady Sat 26-Jan-13 20:21:54

Love the knit talk. I have knitted a scarf. It's so long. I was trying to do a Stella M before I could actually buy it. Took ages!

Also have a traditional jumper I do for each child. That takes ages too, have put a pic on the profile.

libertychick Sat 26-Jan-13 20:52:48

Your baby knit is gorgeous Marsha as are your DS's!

Scarves do take a surprisingly long time to knit - crochet is great for a scarf - I did a lovely one a couple of years ago in triple crochet with this yarn and it is lovely but the colour just doesn't suit me so I never wear it. Giving it to friend soon. It took only a couple of evenings and it was my first ever attempt at crochet.

In addition to the MJ knit I also like this Acne one (though the pink is not quite what I want). Like Dona, I need some structure rather than slouchy. But half the fun is finding the right pattern and yarn.

What shade of neon are you going for Amber?

Now I am NOT buying it but would like opinions on whether this would work on someone who doesn't suit either orange or yellow but does suit black and most 'jewel' colours. I have decided that I have a gap in my wardrobe which needs filling with a bright multicoloured dress and I am testing out options.

Wouldn't work on me liberty too many citrusy tones. I shouldn't really wear neons at all but I will probably go for pink.

libertychick Sat 26-Jan-13 21:29:12

Yep I suspect the same applies to me Amber - I should just get my colours done - I would be shocked if I'm not a winter (dark brown hair, brown eyes, v pale skin) but it would be useful to have the palette.

Does anyone actually suit neon - I always think of it as something to wear as a statement? My impression of you, is that you could easily carry it off!

MarshaBrady Sat 26-Jan-13 22:02:54

Thanks! I can't do long multi layers at all. I need things to fit me.

Not sure on what exact colours people can wear but if you do jewels Liberty then the print might be too clashy.

Love acne knits.

MarshaBrady Sat 26-Jan-13 22:05:17

I do like a bit of neon however, have an ultra bright Kors belt. Oh and a rather bright acne angora scarf.

DonaAna Sun 27-Jan-13 06:14:50

Liberty those to me are typical fall colors. I tend to recognize Fall because they are the worst ones me.

libertychick Sun 27-Jan-13 08:00:36

Thanks for the feedback on the colours - I have started putting a couple of pininterest boards together and apart from some blue, my board of what I have bought recently is very monochrome so I really do want to get a bit brighter. I like the idea of wearing some high contrast bright colours - doing the HoC thing would probably help for ideas.

blondassassin Sun 27-Jan-13 08:19:57

Liberty I am a HoC Deep Autumn and don't suit black. My best colours are olive & forest green, teal, brick red (orange rather than blue toned) and chocolate brown (which I don't like so don't really wear).

If you definitely suit black and jewel colours then you are probably some kind of Winter, but no way to know for sure without seeing a consultant. Hopefully is the one to ask about the colours thing.

libertychick Sun 27-Jan-13 08:29:46

Thanks Blonde. The colours you describe for autumn definitely don't work for me. I haven't noticed Hopefully on S&B much lately which is a shame as her posts are great. There is a HoC person quite close to me. She looks a bit 'nicely dressed older lady' in her photo though which puts me off slightly - totally ridiculous as I'm not exactly a style leader myself and tend to be very conservative but I want that challenged. But then the colours will be the same regardless of personal style.

liberty my consultant was a nicely dressed older lady but she was great. The draping is such a good way to see the difference the colours make on you. The one that really stood out for me was when she draped white round my neck and navy over my shoulder (to kind of imitate a shirt and jacket). She then did the same with cream and brown. Jesus, if I ever want to get sent straight home I'll know what to wear!

DonaAna Sun 27-Jan-13 09:28:13

At the airport. Nearly everyone is wearing a chunky hand-knit scarf. Rustic stripes.

Liberty I forgot to say I really like Erdem and have been looking for a long time for something by him in my colors. So far, have found just two pieces, neither of which I bought. One was too expensive and N/A in my size; was outbid on another.

libertychick Sun 27-Jan-13 14:15:23

Have a good trip Dona. Erdem is very nice stuff. BTW - don't you dare vanish - saw your comment on THAT other thread - ignore - I really try to but sometimes it gets to me as well.

Thanks Amber - I will book the HoC session, probably for early March.

MarshaBrady Sun 27-Jan-13 14:54:03

Erdem is lovely, I appreciate the design.

Dona yes to sticking around smile, have a good trip.

pickledsiblings Sun 27-Jan-13 16:36:51

Dona, I love those mohair jumpers of yours. I too am bad about duplicating items, so far this season I have 3 sets x2. In my defence I find it difficult to find stuff that fits as I'm such a shorty (and not a petite one) so when I do find something I like/that fits/is the right colour it makes sense to get a few.

Marsha, your cuffed pants made me smile. Jody (age 5) has 2 great pairs of cuffed trews that I really love on him. Those ones you linked to would work with great heels for a night out with a bright silk tee and costume jewellery or some such...maybe...

Have started watching Madmen (on series 1 ep4) - love it!

DonaAna Sun 27-Jan-13 22:17:07

Thanks everyone for all the good times we have had here.
I have started having an uncomfortable feeling of being under constant attack on S&B. I came here for companionship, inspiration and mutual support. Currently, negativity, snide remarks and hostility are taking their toll.
I understand my interests are frivolous, my language is trite, my lifestyle is objectinable. I wanted to believe in an open thread, but it is leaving me very vulnerable. I have started and maintained many forums,

DonaAna Sun 27-Jan-13 22:26:35

and think it's time now to start something new, somewhere different. I believe we all need a friendly safe zone. This used to be that for me - but it's time to move on. Thanks to you all - you all here are very inspiring ladies, I've learned so much from you!

Dona as you know we took A&W off here for that among many other reasons. I won't try and persuade you otherwise as it would be selfish to ask you to stay somewhere you feel uncomfortable, but I know I speak for a lot of us when I say you'll be missed.

Emo76 Mon 28-Jan-13 08:46:16

oh Dona what a shame - you are not frivilous or objectionable in the least. It is really sad that it has come to this.

I notice the breton thread seems to have disappeared... some of the comments were like reading a bunch of horrible, snide teenagers at work - ironically coinciding with a MN thread on online abuse of women! If you look in to the twitter accounts of the main offenders which are dead easy to track down you can see that they take great pleasure in hurting others - maybe they lack attention/true friendship in their real lives, who knows. Actually the more I think about it the more I wonder if I want to be part of anything on MN too - though I find this thread really pleasant on the whole and have had some wonderful ideas.

FWIW Jcrew Origami dress today and black pied a terre bargain heels from sale. navy glitter anya hindmarch ebury on arm.

MarshaBrady Mon 28-Jan-13 09:11:43

Dona your lifestyle is lovely not frivolous. It is ultra stylish and enjoyable.

I would love you to stay, ignore the irritating posts, because it is nice to have you on s&b.

You too Emo and everyone.

MarshaBrady Mon 28-Jan-13 09:13:43

Love the sound of your new purchases Emo. I'm waiting for the Skaist mohair, I fear it is a dead duck before it has arrived!

Eloquently said emo. I'm annoyed with myself for even engaging with that ridiculous thread, but I do feel that bullies need to be challenged.

pickledsiblings Mon 28-Jan-13 10:20:32

lol at Marsha's dead duck of a sweater

Dona, stay and chat on this thread only if you like. I don't think anyone would mind if we broadened the topic out from time to time. I loved reading your perfume stuff even though I'm not interested in purchasing any. If your identity is protected then you are not vulnerable in any real sense so just be careful not to out yourself.

JCrew Origami dress sounds intriguing Emo smile.

This thread is not accepting new messages.