M N Vogue vol 3

(1000 Posts)
shopafrolic Thu 18-Oct-12 22:09:57

A continuation of style chat for anyone wanting to talk fashion, new purchases etc.....

Hope you find your way back to us Dona!

MarshaBrady Wed 12-Dec-12 19:44:19

Our Christmas has been the same for years now, since childhood. Same food -

champagne, oysters.
crayfish, home made mayonnaise,
rare beef, beans and garlic carrots
homemade chocolate eclairs.

worth the journey. And we have always dressed up. Two sisters and my mother. It's obligatory to go 'ooooh, you look good/nice' as the person walks out from the bedroom. grin

Have had a few parties this year and the vibe can be so different. Especially between given which sector most are in; the conversation, the look, the whole thing. Had two parties in the same venue and they were so different. Although was pleased that it was dh's work one that I preferred. Just the right amount of frisson, energy, happiness and chat as you say Dona.

Mignonette I walked up my street a few months up with feet in tights, was very grateful to find that the pavements were very smooth and easy to walk on!

Hi Pop thought of you the other day as Stella M on the outnet for 80% off.

shopafrolic Fri 14-Dec-12 22:06:05

Dona I wanted to thank you for that styling website recommendation. I forwarded it to my SIL in the Netherlands who promptly evaluated her body shape, colours and purchased lots of new clothes in colours and shapes she would never have thought of! She is thrilled!
Nothing remotely stylish happening here, too cold and wet. I cancelled a night out tonight with the girls as I'm too tired and full of cold.
My snowboots arrive from the Netherlands next week. I may live in them until April at this rate.

MarshaBrady Tue 18-Dec-12 10:09:49

Hello! am jetlagged and sunned and slightly buzzing on some wine (evening).

Anyone been sales shopping?

Bonsoir Tue 18-Dec-12 15:01:02

envy

DonaAna Tue 18-Dec-12 15:41:02

Marsha are you in Australia? If yes, envy indeed grinGreat

Shop, I found that site unusually good. Hope you are feeling better!

The house if full of ill people. Even Nanny (who is never ill) had high fever for some days. What is confusing, upon recovering from one thing they promptly come down with something else - so I really don't know where we stand.

I have two things in my Matches basket but have been debating austerity/fiscal responsibility etc and have not ordered anything yet (and have been too busy to check my bank statement). I thought about getting a new dress for Christmas but decided against it. I feel that might try to have a frugal end of the year. After all, I gave myself two pairs of nice boots and a very nice bag already. I'm handing out so many stuffed envelopes right now, feeling really cash-poor...

Has anyone else found anything in the sales?

Bonsoir Tue 18-Dec-12 16:30:00

Illness in our household - DD has laryngitis and is feeling very sorry for herself. DSS1 is doing his mock bac finals this week, so in a state of stress and needs lots of TLC, and DP is travelling left right and centre (but home every night) so needs lots of support. And I am not nearly ready for Christmas! Thank goodness no-one is coming to stay this year - though we have quite a lot of people in for meals and I need to food shop and buy presents still.

Lucky, lucky Marsha!

MarshaBrady Tue 18-Dec-12 19:22:51

Yes in Australia! Just woke at 6am and feel so relieved that I slept so long. I'm terrible with jet lag.

Sorry to hear about all the illness. Hope everyone is better soon.

I'm in a very small country town now (in Melbourne before). And I can say there is zero shopping, well except one big supermarket. One main street and that's it. Although the sandy beach is usually empty which I find quite something. Will take some shots.

Fashion in Melbourne is fun to see. Lots of different 'looks'. Ironic grunge still features. Or lots of simple black and flat shoes rather than heels. Maybe a bit like a sunny Berlin.

I'll probably look at the sales when I get back for big discounts. Although the Aus dollar is so strong now. Not like ten years ago when we holidayed with abandon.

DonaAna Wed 19-Dec-12 08:59:50

Ooh lovely Marsha! Enjoy the sunshine and the ironic grunge!

I love bright colors (greens, reds, watermelon) in the summer, but they can look too bright during the darkest time of the year. I've realized this winter that my version of black and white is charcoal/oatmeal or charcoal/pale rose beige or navy/rose beige. I've never been able to wear black and white successfully - the sharp contrast totally washes me out - but I get the same effect in a more muted form. It looks grown-up and good - great neutral look, and not remotely waitressy...

Bonsoir Wed 19-Dec-12 12:58:08

Sandy beach envy.

Have fun, Marsha!

DonaAna Wed 19-Dec-12 20:10:38

In love with this Celine bag (worn with a minimalistic O-line coat).

MarshaBrady Wed 19-Dec-12 20:57:21

I love that Dona!

I love the envelope clutch version too, very much. (pang-worthy)

I felt too bright and non ironic in my bright ts and floral skinnies! I am now in a place too remote for fashion (hah) but the family dresses up for Christmas and a big birthday party dinner, lots of people. Enough to wear the Lanvin in the sun. Will be quite incongruous but could work.

Have you all decided on Christmas day outfits?

MarshaBrady Wed 19-Dec-12 21:15:27

That's for the birthday party (mother's big one, we're not to mention age). People flying from everywhere so feels ok.

Christmas day might be Yeojin Bae print silk dress and mustard skinny Bruno belt.

DonaAna Thu 20-Dec-12 08:55:13

I've been debating getting a new long-sleeved DvF dress for Christmas. I'd like to have something fluid and comfortable (=knit or jersey) because I will be at home and would feel strange cooking and playing with children in something very formal. What I would really love to have is this red Carven dress but it's sold out everywhere in my size.

Have in fact somehow accumulated 4 items in my Matches basket blush - should I or shouldn't I? (Nothing super exciting - just useful daily items - gray MiH jeans, a Freda tuxedo / bib front shirt, a Goat cardigan plus possibly the dress.)

But might equally well wear a red Escada dress from a few seasons back, or a black knit dress with an oatmeal cardi.

Marsha, you Christmas sounds fab. We spent three very enjoyable Christmases on the pool side in Brazil. To me, palm trees and long sunny days are as Christmassy as semi-darkness and snow.

Maybe I really should treat myself to the DvF. Wonder whether it would reach me on Monday if I ordered it now...

DonaAna Thu 20-Dec-12 09:00:44

Oh and the bright red Celine envelope clutch is one of the most appealing bags I've seen in a long time! Sadly I'm not a clutch person - I really need a strap.

MarshaBrady Fri 21-Dec-12 21:00:56

I have patchy wifi atm but love the DvF Dona. (couldn't see the rest will look later). Did you go for it?

DonaAna Fri 21-Dec-12 21:15:12

Yes I did Marsha - and the box has left Heathrow already so there is a good chance that I will get it on Monday.

(Bank balance good - have been working a lot and spending very little. End of year bonus and tax returns in too. I've been good - I do deserve the marbled boxes at least twice a year wink)

Loving the idea of a silk print dress for Christmas.
But Italy isn't very balmy right now, so wool it is.

DonaAna Thu 27-Dec-12 10:21:45

This thread is officially pronounced dead, RIP! grin
Matches order finally reached me, 100% success, loving and keeping everything. Got a much-needed addition to my dull winter wardrobe. The DvF merino wrap dress is great quality, definitely worth buying. And finally found a perfect new tuxedo shirt.

I browsed the NAP sale but really nothing there for me this time.

Emo76 Thu 27-Dec-12 13:43:59

hello

one of the old W&A crew hopping on - please don't let this thread die too!

I ordered gucci flats and jcrew origami dress from NAP sale, a few bits from Me&Em and an Anya dark blue glitter bag. Enjoying the sales! Feels like it is easy to pick up classics this year.

For anyone who remembers, am wearing navy phase 8 Janice today which has shrunk to almost indecently short. But still love it. Reissue please!

Marsha hope you're having a lovely lovely hol
Dona it's great your sale bits were so succesful, I love Matches for the boxes alone

Happy Christmas all!

Emo76 Thu 27-Dec-12 13:45:23
libertychick Thu 27-Dec-12 14:27:45

Not dead Dona - it's just Christmas and there's nothing new and exciting to link and everyone's watching prices afraid to link what they love before they have nabbed it! S&B has been a bit quiet generally I think. All of the MN fashion pack will get busy again posting once the new Spring/Summer stuff starts hitting the shops after the January sales. At least I hope they will - the only way I have half a clue about what's in or not is from these threads!

libertychick Thu 27-Dec-12 14:28:46

That DVF is lovely Emo - fingers crossed the price comes down for you.

DonaAna Thu 27-Dec-12 15:27:44

Ooh lovely to see that this thread is not dead yet...
Yep that is so true Liberty!
Waves to Emo, loving your purchases.

I paid a lot of attention to SS2013 collections this year and hence winter wear has felt very dull for a long time now - in Italy the season for winter clothes is quite short too, perhaps until the end of March only.

Am wearing my new Goat cardigan. Dressy like a jacket but soft like a cardigan - a good balance for a person like me who hates too casual (but craves comfort).

I have a couple of items I'm still hoping to bag (and not linking to) - but nothing major.

I'll barge in to brag about my Rocco on here too. Have been wanting one for years and yesterday the dream became a reality!

Other recent acquisitions include:

This Sandro sweater

And

This skirt which my DH got me for Xmas

DonaAna Thu 27-Dec-12 18:49:49

Ooh both the skirt and shirt are exquisite Amber.
Enjoy the Rocco!

I've started my summer board already. I don't need anything but summer has always been my season and just looking at those juicy colors makes me feel better
<bored with taupes, grays>

Decameron Thu 27-Dec-12 21:43:01

Just wanted to say merry Christmas! I have that same dress, DonaAna, wore it on Christmas day with a DvF coat in the same raspberry colour. Really like the Goat cardigan. I have ordered the dress in the blue too but think I should probably return it and get something different ( also have ordered a few things from Me and Em and an Anya Hindmarch bag, amongst other things, so feel I should rein myself in.

Great bag, Amber! Also like the dress, Emo.

This thread is not accepting new messages.