what will you NEVER wear because it will "make you your mum"

(304 Posts)
MaureenCognito Sun 14-Oct-12 16:24:52

Always remember laughing at noddyholders posts about her mum and her penchant for silver chunky jewellery and flicky hair.

what item epitomises your mum?

ilovetermtime Wed 17-Oct-12 15:59:09

I think my mum dresses well for her age... BUT I do wish that she wouldn't tuck her t-shirts into her jeans/trousers! It's not very flattering to her tummy.

I would never wear 3/4 length trousers though, I've seen how short they make her look!

JennaLemon Wed 17-Oct-12 12:22:54

Yeah Jaegar and Acquascutum remind me of Margaret thatcher.

JennaLemon Wed 17-Oct-12 12:22:06

ecco website has a nice pair of boots !! mmmmm I like them. Ecco Shmecco.

higgle Wed 17-Oct-12 11:15:23

"Ecco or Padder shoes
elastic waist jeans or cords
Fleeces when not going up a mountain
Things from Dash
little jumpers in shades of lilac, aqua and blue"

My mum too! And I'm not sure being 86 is a good enough excuse. I find I'm put off certain shops by association with her - Edinburgh Woollen Mill for one
and Jaeger -no matter how hard they try to convince me they have fashion I think of my mothers neat merino knitwear with a blouse collar poking out at the neck and feel deterred from entering.

fossil97 Tue 16-Oct-12 23:31:30

You have some trendy mums!

Ecco or Padder shoes
elastic waist jeans or cords
Fleeces when not going up a mountain
Things from Dash
little jumpers in shades of lilac, aqua and blue

The trouble is my wardrobe is inexorably morphing the same way "I just want some comfortable shoes" and before I know it I'm browsing the Cotton Traders range at the garden centre. [terror]

No bath sharing here either, but we only have one loo and that's in the bathroom and the DCs do wander in to use it while I'm showering so it is all out for inspection. They get most indignant when we have guests and I lock the door making them wait. I'm sure it won't be long till they are grossed out by the idea though.

mathanxiety Tue 16-Oct-12 22:43:06

dementedma -- no you are not. The DCs know they enter at their peril. If there is an absolute emergency they can knock and come in but the shower curtain is not to be interfered with.

dementedma DD would LOVE to share a bath, but she's 8 and takes up too much damn space. However due to the layout of the house she is in and out of the bathroom while I shower, if I locked the door we'd never leave the house. DH likewise, which at least means that, unlike one friend, her first remembered sighting of a nude man will not be Graham Chapman in The Life of Brian. confused

How do feet get 'drawn'? This is a mystery to me! Should it remain so?

dementedma Tue 16-Oct-12 21:23:15

De-railing slightly but am I the only one whose dds don't inspect the parental fanjo by sharing baths and showers?
My bath, my shower, my privacy

doinmummy Tue 16-Oct-12 19:54:25

I trim my lady garden but its still hairy so my DD doesn't think that women are bald down below. My mum has never trimmed and has a truly massive, magnificent thicket.

mum47 Tue 16-Oct-12 19:42:40

Tights under tapered (not in a trendy way) ever so slightly too short trouserss with a sensible walking shoe.

SilverCharm Tue 16-Oct-12 19:40:04

MY fanjo is massively hairy and unkempt. I inherited that from my Mother and am so glad I don't feel the need to bald myself down there. Now my DD's are seeing a natural fanjo when they pop in on me in the shower....and wont think "Ah...Mum shaves her fanny...so that's normal."

Because it's not!

doinmummy Tue 16-Oct-12 19:26:04

gringringrin at the see through nighties. I'll never forget the look on DD face aged about 6 when Nanny came downstairs one morning in her nightie. DD later asked" what was that big dark thing behind nannies nightie?" I think she meant my mums massive unkempt fanjo.

bonzo77 Tue 16-Oct-12 19:07:47

Pearls. Twin sets. Tapered trousers. Jumpers that are short and wide iykwim with 3/4 length sleeves. Loafers with leather soles because "synthetic draws my feet". Horrible hats to stop her hair frizzing if there is any damp in the air. If she sees this I'm totally outed!

MaureenCognito Tue 16-Oct-12 18:32:20

Twee. Plus women who wear all their rings all the time. Match to outfits guys

Bunbaker Tue 16-Oct-12 18:13:29

So why are matching earring and necklace sets a crime against fashion?

My mother wears blabk trousers and a variety of coloured tshirts. She is very grimly hanging onto her sixties bouff hair, although she always sees older women with lovely soft short hair and loves it. However, she's 75, and looks pretty much exactly as she looked at 50, so I'd take that. Amazing skin.

coorong Tue 16-Oct-12 17:10:02

i remember my mum used to have a rabbit fur coat - she stopped wearing it because everywhere we went a dogs would follow her around ......

MrsBucketxx Tue 16-Oct-12 16:55:34

hotter shoes uuuggghh, she wasvreally excited when they opened a shop near me.

do you think grans net has the same thread in reverse.

MrsBucketxx Tue 16-Oct-12 16:34:47

embelished t shirts she buys from marisota hmm

headfairy Tue 16-Oct-12 16:34:41

Overly low cut and inappropriate clothes. Not every day but at formal occasions. She looks amazing but she always shows acres of ample cleavage and wears too much "real" jewellery. She used to have some very high net worth clients who showered her with really blingy jewellery. Not the sort of thing you can get away with at suburban dinner parties!

MrsFruitcake Tue 16-Oct-12 16:34:32

My Mum bought a hideous pair of shoes at the weekend. Black and grey flats with extra room. But she does have bunions and she used to wear heels all the time when I was a child.

Apart from the shoes, she's very stylish. She has short white (not grey!) cropped hair very similar to Judy Dench and she quite often gets stopped and asked for her autograph!

MaureenCognito Tue 16-Oct-12 16:31:13

GAH AT SNEER

we can snigger at our mums.. really

PostBellumBugsy Tue 16-Oct-12 16:29:33

There's remarkably little sneer IMO. A bit of gentle teasing, some wry observations, some really heartfelt posts from those whose Mum's have died, a few laughs & an observation from a couple of us, that we'll be at the receiving end of this in a couple of years time ourselves.

Agree with Dementedma - this thread is leaving a very nasty taste in my mouth. It's coming across as really sneery. Our mothers dress differently from us and have different tastes in clothes!shock.

Who mentioned Gudrun Sjoden? If my mum went all Gudrun, I'd be really happy for her. and would nick all of it for my own older years

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now