what will you NEVER wear because it will "make you your mum"

(304 Posts)
MaureenCognito Sun 14-Oct-12 16:24:52

Always remember laughing at noddyholders posts about her mum and her penchant for silver chunky jewellery and flicky hair.

what item epitomises your mum?

Asmywhimsytakesme Sun 14-Oct-12 16:56:16

I would honestly be proud to look like my mum (maybe this is where I'm going wrong fashion-wise though!) and when I pulled on a comfy fleece today to go for a walk I thought - definitely channelling my dm! smile

BoringSchoolChoiceNickname Sun 14-Oct-12 16:56:24

Elasticated waists.
Anything from Cotton Traders (especially shoes)

BoerWarKids Sun 14-Oct-12 17:00:12

Next 'office' wear.
'Smart' black polyester trousers and those white short-sleeved blouse and black tank top all-in-one combos.

Sequinned t-shirts from TU and Primark.

Knee-high boots that aren't leather, again, from Primark.

I love my mum dearly but I despair of her dress sense!

Ephiny Sun 14-Oct-12 17:05:53

High-waisted/tapered trousers. Mid-calf length skirts. Brooches and strings of beads.

AgathaFusty Sun 14-Oct-12 17:14:05

Beige. Head to fucking toe beige.

AgathaFusty Sun 14-Oct-12 17:14:51

She doesn't like colours - apparently they're "common" confused

curlyLJ Sun 14-Oct-12 17:17:18

PrincessPumpkinshoutsBOO my mother dresses exactly as you describe - track suit bottoms and jumpers confused She used to dress quite well, but since she retired she now opts for 'comfort clothing' over style 95% of the time and it drives me crazy! Bon Marche is one of her fave shops...

She also wears a scarf that she knitted herself in bright red (with whatever else she is wearing whether it clashes or not) which is vile...

SaraBellumHertz Sun 14-Oct-12 17:19:14

Anything 2 sizes too small.

This would be less off if she wasn't a total yoyo dieter who must have a range of at least 8 sizes in her wardrobe confused

BigWitchLegsInWailyTights Sun 14-Oct-12 17:19:23

A nice shirt under a nice jumper. My Mum dresses well but I won't do a shirt and jumper...or a navy anorak "for walking". grin

Or, in fact...a long camel coat or small pearl earrings. THey're hers.

simplesusan Sun 14-Oct-12 17:20:53

Fleeces with everything.
Black ankle boots that fasten with a zip.
An oversized coat even in the height of summer.

EndoplasmicReticulum Sun 14-Oct-12 17:21:11

Everything my mum owns is brown. Lots of different shades of brown. She has always worn brown. I never do. I like her jewellery though as it's all antique, and won't mind inheriting it.

CailinDana Sun 14-Oct-12 17:21:55

My mother's style is actually quite close to mine blush Not sure if that's a good thing, but I do think she looks well. It did take us years and years to persuade her to wear jeans though, up till that it was always smart trousers. I, on the other hand, am never out of jeans.

Although now I think of it, she has horrendous taste in coats - always goes for anorak type things in boring black or dull brown, with a million toggles hanging off. I would love to get her into a nice fitted winter coat, it would look lovely on her, but she's as stubborn as I am when it comes to things like this.

Siriusstar Sun 14-Oct-12 17:22:39

Gold, silver or bronze shoes or sandals.
Cerise pink lipstick.

EndoplasmicReticulum Sun 14-Oct-12 17:25:14

I am also never going to have a "sensible short haircut, now you are getting too old for that long hair".

Never.

BrittaPerry Sun 14-Oct-12 17:25:56

Leather trousers when not riding a motorbike.

A mullet.

Big clunky pendants (ceramic or silver celtic looking) on long chains or leather strips that hang down almost to the waist over polo neck jumpers with green or brown mid calf skirts and Hotters shoes.

Rosebud05 Sun 14-Oct-12 17:28:24

Anything that could be called "a pair of slacks".

Pastels.

Pop socks.

TantrumsandBananas Sun 14-Oct-12 17:28:47

"Peasant" Skirt but not fashionably long IYKWIM? Mid-calf type length.

Those PAINFUL scholl wooden shoe things, that also double as a lethal weapon.

Round neck t-shirts, and a cardi.

God help me, I walked past the scholl shop and ran when I started looking interested....

NettoSpookerstar Sun 14-Oct-12 17:29:58

Purple boot cut cut jeans, with matching polka dot blouse from Marks.
A cauliflower perm.

TantrumsandBananas Sun 14-Oct-12 17:31:04

"cauliflower perm" grin

NettoSpookerstar Sun 14-Oct-12 17:31:26

Also Ecco shoes and fleeces, and cross body, 'sensible' bags incase she gets mugged.
She's been dead 11 years and her style still haunts me.

Vagaceratops Sun 14-Oct-12 17:32:47

Waterfall cardigans
Meatloaf sleeves
Scholl clogs

IslaValargeone Sun 14-Oct-12 17:33:53

Furry coats, furry gilets, furry bloody everything.
She looks like a bloody yeti.

crackcrackcrak Sun 14-Oct-12 17:36:31

Ecco shoes. Cords with tapered legs. Neckerchiefs. Pink flying suits.

I adore my mum but the way she dresses is the way she dresses wink never embarrassed me at a formal event though to be fair grin

TantrumsandBananas Sun 14-Oct-12 17:37:24

You've really got me thinking now!

the peasants skirts were all homemade, and the cardi's handknitted - how could I forget!!!

Oh the horrors of homemade clothes, I remember a bolt of red canvas she acquired. I had red dungerees from the age of 2 til I was 13 and rebelled.

Thanks another subject, you really got me thinking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now