These are the perfumes I have, recommend a winter one for me....pretty please...

(21 Posts)
yellowbottle Tue 09-Oct-12 21:07:27

I have decided that my perfumes, while all lovely, are decidedly summery. I want to get a perfume that evokes log fires and snow and woolly scarfs and mittens for the winter months but I'm really not sure what that might be.

Here is what I have:

Ralph Lauren Romance
Clinque Happy
Kenzo Flowers (beginning to dislike this a little)
Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue
Clarins Eau Tranquility

All of the above I would use as day to day perfumes

I have Chanel No.5 and Coco Mademoiselle which I would use for evenings/nights if I had a social life and ever left the house post DD

These I like.

I also have
Jo Malone Lime Basil and Mandarin and have had Chanel Chance in the past both of which smelled like aftershave on me.
I have Lancome Hypnose which I always think I like but get sick of very quickly and bought Guerlain's My Insolence on a whim going through a dutyfree which is absolutely VILE.
Also, I can't abide Angel, Opium or Obsession.

I know some of you lovely ladies are incredibly well versed about perfumes and things like top notes and stuff like that which I know nothing about. I also feel that my perfume collection is something like a beginner wine drinker waxing lyrically about Blossom Hill Zinfandel smile so all advice much appeciated!!

What should my idea winter perfume be?

shoeprincess2 Wed 10-Oct-12 09:43:53

yellowbottle- if you have the time, I recommend that you have a read through the ongoing thread entitled "The Worst Perfume ever!". it has morphed into a really informative thread about some of the best perfumes (yes, the title is a misnoma). There are some perfumistas on there who will certainly make some fantastic recommendations for you. It has certainly opened my eyes to what is out there. There are also sample sites, so you can try all sorts of perfumes before you commit! Enjoy x

yellowbottle Wed 10-Oct-12 23:26:07

Wow! Just read all 22 pages and feel my purse may be in trouble! I'm still no-one the wiser though as my now recognised as mostly nasty collection seems to fall into many categories!
Thanks for responding and recommending that thread as I wouldn't have read it based on the title :-)

shoeprincess2 Thu 11-Oct-12 09:14:15

My pleasure. You are very much like me at the moment- lusting after a new winter perfume, but not knowing what to go for. I have placed a sample order from surrendertochance.com, so am going to try 5 different perfumes. I am looking for a perfume that is unique, glamorous and perfect for Christmas meals out and Christmas Day round a log fire. I would certainly recommend you post on the worst perfume thread- someone will help you out!

MsArseBiscuit Thu 11-Oct-12 15:04:16

Yellow, DonaAna's posted this link www.fragrance-editions.com/fatest/index2.asp?id=6140&type=F - it might give you some suggestions of things to try

DonaAna Thu 11-Oct-12 17:45:56

I have a hard time recommending anything.

People tend to pick warm, spicy, woody or ambery fragrances for winter.
Would recommend some, but have a hard time identifying anything that isn't spicy, gourmand or woody (=aftershavey).

Approach your local SA for recommendations?

ENormaSnob Thu 11-Oct-12 18:04:52

I like similar perfumes to you, also dislike the same perfumes as you.

In winter I wear alien, euphoria, allure and jpg the original one.

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 11-Oct-12 18:23:42

Try Serge Lutens "L'Eau Froide." I think it is wintery, but not spicy, and might fit in with your tastes!

YouOldSlag Thu 11-Oct-12 18:27:38

Find The Worst perfume Ever thread. It is without doubt the most informative perfume thread I have ever read and has wandered away from Worst perfumes to best perfumes, perfume memories, website recommendations, sample sites, discussions and expert advice.

No other thread will compare so get over there now and visit the experts!

emsibub Thu 11-Oct-12 23:33:43

Have you smelt alien? It's my new winter fragrance grin

Jaeme Fri 12-Oct-12 07:54:39

I have a lot of the same ones as you and I wear Mont Blanc Presence d'une Femme as my winter perfume, not sure if it's log cabin enough got you :-p

Jaeme Fri 12-Oct-12 08:41:23

Oops that should say for, silly iPhone

Beaverfeaver Fri 12-Oct-12 08:46:09

Alien is my new winter fragrance too!

People always comment on it (positively) and
It lasts well throughout the day

YouOldSlag Sat 13-Oct-12 11:51:04

OP- it's safe to back on The Worst perfume ever thread now as the discussion has gone a bit less pricey again. I got scared at one point!

ScooseIsLooseInTheHauntedHoose Sat 13-Oct-12 12:16:47

Dolce and gabanna (red box)
Chanel allure

fedupofnamechanging Sat 13-Oct-12 18:23:24

Another vote for Alien. I really like it.

BikeRunSki Sat 13-Oct-12 18:42:55

You like and dislike the same as me OP. I'd recommend Origins' Ginger as your winter scent.

Fozzleyplum Sun 14-Oct-12 00:43:48

Estee Lauder Cinnabar or YSL Opium (they are similar),or Clinique Aromatics Elixir. All of these are spicy and woody.

Fozzleyplum Sun 14-Oct-12 00:45:47

Oops - just noticed you hate opium (so prob not the Cinnabar either).

UltraBOF Sun 14-Oct-12 00:51:35

What I love about the Worst Perfume thread is that it's turned me on to the idea of sampling, which isn't scarily expensive. There are some incense-type scents recommended on there which might tick the cosy winter box for you.

YouOldSlag Sun 14-Oct-12 10:24:58

Yes indeed, the Worst perfume thread has something for every taste and every budget!

You can send off for samples or do as I do and buy part used bottle on ebay to see if a scent suits you before spending full price on a bottle. If you don't like it, sell it back on ebay again.

It is possible to smell expensive without busting the food budget.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now