What is your clothes budget?

(136 Posts)
crosstraineraddict Tue 09-Oct-12 12:57:26

Mine isn't very big; I'd say maybe £50 per month, most of which is spent in Primark, or very occasionally TopShop.

So many people seem to have such big clothing budgets and it makes me wonder how they can afford it. I follow several style and clothing blogs each week and all the writers seem to have vast amounts of money to spend on clothes.

How much do you spend per month?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 09-Oct-12 17:50:01

Roughly £250 a month, with some extra in September/October to cover winter boots and/or coat depending on what needs replacing.

MaBaya Tue 09-Oct-12 17:53:40

I tend to spend a fair bit on a splurge at this time of year. I just spent about a grand (eek) on a lovely Ted Baker coat, a fake fur from Topshop, two pairs of decent boots, four good quality winter work dresses, some jeans, 3 tops, leggings and tights and a cashmere cardi.

I spent NOTHING on summer clothes, though. Just recycled old stuff from last year, mostly cheap tat from H&M and Primani. I hate summer clothes and find it a waste of money in this climate. I probably average £1500 a year on clothes which I can bareky afford, but I do need to look presentable for work, so sod it.

MsOnatopp Tue 09-Oct-12 18:07:59

£50? I wish sad

Though I have worked out a new budget for next year which should give me 250 twice a year so works out at £41.66 a month but I will save for half the year then do a big (in my mind) shop for winters and again for summer in another half a year.

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 09-Oct-12 18:10:08

It varies - have bought a couple of coats in the last month but have ebayed an awful lot of stuff.

And have ordered quite a bit but returned it all which is dull and tedious.

I need some new jumpers but can't find any I like.

lupo Tue 09-Oct-12 18:54:03

I have about £100 disposible income a month for going out and clothes. Love fashion and have built up a nice wardrobe already so just adding to it. Am trying to save two months money and buy some nice winter boots. I used to spend loads (pre bloody school fees) but now have to buy carefully. I do regular clear outs to charity and am getting to the stage where I only keep and buy things I truely love.

Yes like Hopefully I spend more on less IYKWIM, so that £300 may only buy me 1-2 items. It's not like I'm spending £300 in Primark every month and taking half the shop home. Obviously it's fluid too, i wont spend for the sake of spending, but that is roughly the amount I earmark for clothes. I do eBay stuff when I'm bored of it too, which brings in a bit of a return.

MarshaBrady Tue 09-Oct-12 19:09:45

Yes I spend more on each thing too. I usually think about the best version (to me) of the thing I like and try to go for that.

Then love the odd outnet bargain.

Haven't ebayed anything, I should really.

KOTK Tue 09-Oct-12 19:22:11

Wow, I'm absolutely amazed. In the last 3 years I've spent less than £200 on clothes - and I got married in the last 3 yrs so that includes my wedding outfit!, so I guess I'm averaging about £5.55 per month. I'm poor. blush

Viviennemary Tue 09-Oct-12 19:27:39

Not much. I tend to get a few new things in winter and summer and that's about it. I always think I must get some new clothes and then usually can't find anything I like or else buy something I don't wear.

Woozley Tue 09-Oct-12 19:29:34

I'm amazed too at people saying they spend hundreds a month. I have never spent anything like that even when I was earning £65,000 a year. I probably spent £500 a year on clothes and shoes then. I probably spend that now on me and the DDs.

Curtsey Tue 09-Oct-12 19:42:59

Probably average about 120 euro a month, despite best efforts to refrain. Always spend quite a lot in August/September/October getting set up for cold weather. Never buy summer clothes anymore- the bits I have serve me well year after year because they never get used!

Definitely don't have a budget and always feel guilty spending on clothes. I suspect I'd spend less if I did set a small monthly budget.

Milliways Tue 09-Oct-12 19:45:45

I too go months without buying anything, and replace work clothes / essential Jeans etc as and when needed. If I spend over £30 on any item I feel naughty.

However........

I am saving up and planning on a HUGE splurge as I am to be Mother-of-the Bride very soon smile

Pascha Tue 09-Oct-12 19:51:50

Maybe £100 twice a year? So that's about £16-£17 a month I suppose.

JollyJack Tue 09-Oct-12 19:54:36

I spend about £100 before my summer holiday. And about £150 through the rest of the year. So £250 a year.

LittlePandaBear Tue 09-Oct-12 19:55:20

I spend around £100 a month, but that's meant to be for beauty items as well. I used to spend much more but I work part time since having DD and really don't have the spare cash to buy more these days - there are too many other things to spend my money on!

I was meant to be buying some new boots this month but I managed to spend £75 in Boots on posh make up, so either I stick them on the credit card or wait or avoid the shops/internet for the next month, argh!

There are just too many things that I want to buy and I increasingly hate everything in my wardrobe.

S&B just makes me want to buy more! grin

GuernseyFamily Tue 09-Oct-12 19:58:12

I haven't bought any of us (inc DS, DD & DH) any clothing in over a year. I put requests for secondhand clothing on a local ecycle page on fb which works quite well as I give away DS & DD clothes when they're too small.

DH is a SE Tradesman, his good clothes are later used for work. I wear a uniform at my office job. We ask for vouchers at Xmas / birthdays.

IF we do buy clothing, we buy the DC's a size bigger so it lasts longer, lol. We currently have debts to pay etc so have minimized our spending on everything!! :-(

I probably spend about £300 PCM but I know that I should cut down. It's a pointless use of money as I wear the same few outfits anyway.

azazello Tue 09-Oct-12 20:03:03

I spend about £250 per month but including make-up, moisturisers etc. I spend more now than I did when I earned £££. Then I would go to Jigsaw once per year and next for black trousers.

After DS was born, I lost a lot of weight and so needed to replace my boring frumpy wardrobe with things which fitted me and I started being much more interested in fashion generally. I'd like to get some more dresses but am otherwise not far off having enough.

noviceoftheday Tue 09-Oct-12 20:17:17

I don't have a budget but buy a lot at certain times of the year so eg spent nothing in July and August but prob spent about £800 last month on autumn things. Shoes and bags are my current thing though grin. This year I am averaging £600 per month on those.

Frawli Tue 09-Oct-12 20:22:21

About £50 a month, and that is the whole family, i.e. two adults, two children. This doesn't include school uniform as I budget separately for that.

Any extra clothes purchases have to come out of overtime or birthday money. I am drooling looking at some of these clothes budgets, my wardrobe would certainly benefit from a cash injection like that! I need to increase the amount as basically I didn't buy very many clothes for myself for about two years and now I've started to buy a bit more normally the budget isn't enough, but I can't spend a lot more as I don't have it.

MaryZed Tue 09-Oct-12 20:23:58

As little as possible.

I have three teenagers, which has completely screwed up my clothes and food budget.

I suspect I buy two pairs of jeans, one item of footwear, a couple of tops and a pack of pants a year. That's about it. Possibly one "outfit" for somewhere nice.

It's just as well I am a frump don't like clothes much grin.

NettoSpookerstar Tue 09-Oct-12 20:28:04

I don't have one.
I buy things when I see them if I have the money at the time.

I can't imagine spending £00 a month, not that I think it's wrong, I don't but where do you put the stuff, and how long do you wear it for, and how often do you clear out?

teacherwith2kids Tue 09-Oct-12 20:28:31

Probably about £100 - £150 per year.

Some years I spend nothing (except for the traditional 5 new pairs of socks and 5 new pairs of pants in Christmas stocking).

Some years - like when I first got into teaching and needed the right clothes - I spend a little more.

Tends to be 1 or 2 new things (from decent shops, to last) + few T-shirts each year.

NewNames Tue 09-Oct-12 20:29:01

Crikey. I have a really good wage and no kids and would never spend hundreds a month (although I might if I could afford it).

Seems super frivolous to spend money on clothes to me at the moment. I'm envy

NettoSpookerstar Tue 09-Oct-12 20:31:09

For those of you who spend a lot, upwards of £100 a month, do you buy one or two expensive things?
I could easily spend that if I had it. wishes she had itgrin

I'm not judging, honest, I'm just nosey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now