What is your clothes budget?

(136 Posts)
crosstraineraddict Tue 09-Oct-12 12:57:26

Mine isn't very big; I'd say maybe £50 per month, most of which is spent in Primark, or very occasionally TopShop.

So many people seem to have such big clothing budgets and it makes me wonder how they can afford it. I follow several style and clothing blogs each week and all the writers seem to have vast amounts of money to spend on clothes.

How much do you spend per month?

c. £300 pm. Bigger splurge at sales times

TheBirdsTheBirds Tue 09-Oct-12 13:06:31

No idea...more than it should be...too scared to add it up grin

TheBirdsTheBirds Tue 09-Oct-12 13:08:09

By 'more than it should be' I mean I spend more than I should, not that I have a huge clothes budget (I wish). I prob spend around £100 a month, sometimes more, sometimes less.

MarshaBrady Tue 09-Oct-12 13:08:20

Goes up and down depending on freelance etc income.

Usually buy more expensive stuff then have a break.

MorrisZapp Tue 09-Oct-12 13:10:17

I guess anywhere between 200 to 400 a month.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Tue 09-Oct-12 13:10:22

Since dd - me almost 0. DD about 200 a month and she is 8 months. Have lost my mind!

DuttonsForButtons Tue 09-Oct-12 13:13:52

I don't have a monthly budget at all, I only buy as and when I need and how much I spend is determined by how much I can afford.

Annianni Tue 09-Oct-12 13:22:17

I've spent approx £600 over the last month, but it was partly birthday presents and includes 2 coats and winter boots.
And I needed a/w clothes due to losing the last of my baby weight.

But i'll probably not spend anything this month.

And I didn't spend much over the summer, due to the lousy weather.

issimma Tue 09-Oct-12 13:23:49

I don't have a budget and I also don't have many clothes! Plan to work on this when out of maternity gear, and I imagine it'll be 50-100 a month. I'd rather buy one quality item than loads of cheap ones.

sooperdooper Tue 09-Oct-12 13:35:05

I don't have a set budget, I buy as and when I fancy some new clothes and when I can afford them - for those who buy a lot every month, do you have regular big clear outs too? I wouldn't have space for that many new clothes every month! smile

Itsgottabebags Tue 09-Oct-12 17:00:01

I don't have a budget really as I buy when I need to in the budget I can at the time.

I tend to buy accessories fairly regularly though

CremeEggThief Tue 09-Oct-12 17:11:53

I spend anywhere between £200-£400 two or three times a year, but from now on, I'm going to be sensible and budget £35-40 per month.

Hopefully Tue 09-Oct-12 17:16:55

Depends on freelancing, but I am a big believer in spending more (if necessary) and shopping less often. It probably averages out at a couple of hundred a month, maybe a bit more (£250?) if you average out big spends across the year. I am hoping that will drop when I finally have all the essentials I need for a couple of years (pencil skirts for work, winter coat, work shoes etc) - I have lost a load if weight this year and also gone back to work after 4 years off, so my spend is disproportionately high.

Incidentally, I reckon lots of people who don't think they spend a lot, actually do.

nomazeena Tue 09-Oct-12 17:19:55

HA! I was about to smugly say I didnt spend anything last month then I remembered I spent rather alot (£130) on a new north face parka off ebay thats coming from America and hasnt arrived yet.

New clothes to me are like treats and I spend according to how flush I'm feeling.

Like creme egg- it tends to be a splurge about 3 times a year - about £250?
I always seem to have something I'm researching and about to buy- keeps me quiet of an evening..

Hopefully Tue 09-Oct-12 17:20:10

Sooper I don't buy a lot, but would rather spend £100+ on a work skirt and not think about replacing it for a few years. One of those sorts of purchases a month and the cost of nice shoes/coat etc averaged out over the year and I'm at £200-ish. As I said, though, I wouldn't want to be spending that amount indefinitely, I am currently building up a work wardrobe.

nomazeena Tue 09-Oct-12 17:21:09

I actually cross posted that with hopefully- she must be a mind reader!

MummifiedBonkeyMollocks Tue 09-Oct-12 17:22:03

People have budgets? confused

I buy as and when.

Probably less than £20 a month evened out!

GockandJuice Tue 09-Oct-12 17:27:04

A budget?! Some months its none other months its 100, other months its 300. Depends on whether I've had vouchers/gifts/money from events and just depends if I feel like treating myself. Most of the time clothes are always bought for my son, I'm more a sucker for H&M boys than anything!

BreakingGlass Tue 09-Oct-12 17:34:00

Too much. About £80?

mummysmellsofsick Tue 09-Oct-12 17:36:07

Wow. I spent £22 this month in primark. Before that not a sausage since this time last year when I bought about £200 worth of bf friendly tops for my newly expanded boobs grin

chickydoo Tue 09-Oct-12 17:38:36

I always keep a note of things I buy in the clothes/ accessories dpt.
Sad I know, but i keep the lists on my phone, I can see at a glance when I got something, how much it cost....then I feel guilty if I have gone off it or have hardly worn it.
2010 I averaged at £200 a month
2011 was about £150 a month.
This year so far it's about £100 a month.
The way the economy is going I will be down to £50 next year. sad

CaroleService Tue 09-Oct-12 17:42:24

FAR
TOO MUCH.

I'm going to copy Chicky and write down every purchase. It will be a shock.

TheBirdsTheBirds Tue 09-Oct-12 17:42:54

Sooper I have regular clearouts. If I haven't worn something for a year or so and it's not a classic that I think I might want again someday, I sell it on eBay or take it to charity shops. Only have 1 wardrobe and one chest of drawers so need the space!

Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Tue 09-Oct-12 17:46:02

I average about 50 quid a month but I inherited a £1000 earlier this year and spent most of it on nice treats for me as I went abroad for a family wedding. So used that for a few better quality things than I could usually afford, including a rather glam wedding outfit and post-party outfit.
I feel rather bad about it now, although I have had loads of use from the things I bought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now