Can dry shampoo cause hair loss/thinning?

(48 Posts)
coffeecake Mon 08-Oct-12 13:26:30

Hi I have posted about thinning hair recently and I have done a lot of reading on the subject.
By chance I came across a thread on mumsnet about greasy hair where someone mentioned dry shampoo as a possible solution, and then another mumsnetter said "Beware of dry shampoo, it thinned my hair a lot".

That sentence stuck to my mind, because I have been using the dry shampoo Baptiste (probably in excess) for the past few years.
When I say in excess, I mean every single day (expect on the day of washing my hair and the day after), but then I would only wash my hair once a week or less blush thinking that it would be much better for the health of my hair.
I heard so many times that washing your hair often was bad for it, but now I'm wondering if a dry shampoo could have done some harm instead.
My hair has less volume than it used to have, but is definately showing signs of thinning more on the areas where I used to spray the dry shampoo. sad

I read somewhere on the internet that dry shampoo soaks up the grease and gathers it to your scalp and it then clogs the pores which makes regrowth difficult.
I was wondering if anyone had experienced a thinning of the hair after using dry shampoo excessively?
P.S: I did do all the blood tests and they came back normal.

kholood Sun 15-Jun-14 14:26:23

I think it is dry shampoo... I have been using it all of 2013 and noticed in December my hair is thinning in the areas I sprayed on... then I dismissed it and continued to use it (it was too tempting). I wish I never did .... now its so bad even my son asks me what's happened to my hair. Take my advice throw it in the bin! Dont even be tempted to use it for a one off. I even warn others every time I see them pick Papstine in the drugstore.

Fugacity Wed 23-Oct-13 19:36:56

Dry shampoo works by electrostatics. It can't make your hair fall out.

mkmummy1 Wed 23-Oct-13 19:30:36

Coffee cake - were you convinced it was dry shampoo in the end? Cos I'm thinking I might have the same issue.

mkmummy1 Wed 23-Oct-13 19:29:47

Coffeecake - were you convinced that it was related to dry shampoo? Cos I'm thinking I have the same problem.

maxcarig Wed 30-Jan-13 12:34:06

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

coffeecake Thu 11-Oct-12 13:11:55

No you didn't sound bossy at all you're right. I will get in touch with them.
Thanks for the advice x

My last post sounded a bit bossy, sorry! I just think that, while yes, in all likelihood they will find that their formulation is not at fault, it could just be that there are other people out there wondering the same thing, maybe reading this thread, if that is the case it ought to be investigated and the more people that provide formal feedback the better. It is a good sign that they have found this thread and posted a response.

coffeecake Thu 11-Oct-12 10:56:55

Maybe I will then, never know.

You should reply to the company. I have googled the parent company and from my own knowledge of this type of business it is almost certain that their quality management team will have to record and investigate any possible adverse affects reported to them. One complaint probably won't make a difference, but it is all useful for them to have on record as they continually monitor and review their products.

coffeecake Wed 10-Oct-12 20:27:31

I feel like replying to Batiste but what's the point? They are probably going to say that I have been misusing it and that there is no proof that it caused my hair loss, which there isn't.
So I don't see the point.

coffeecake Wed 10-Oct-12 20:23:42

Thanks deux, my hair loss if it isn't due to Baptiste definitely feels hormonal.
I haven't stopped the pill (well not recently) or anything but at a time when I noticed some changes in me (boobs facing downwards, fat concentrating in areas like the stomach, facial skin a bit saggier, fewer body hairs not growing as fast (a part from on the chin wink), mood swings, stronger PMS etc... I also noticed that my hair was a lot thinner than it used to be.
That's why at first I assumed I was going through an early menopause or something (I'm only 36) and did all the test.
But they came back normal so I'm none the wiser. sad

chipstick10 Wed 10-Oct-12 19:50:12

My hair is looking and feeling good today. I have good days and bad and today is fab.

ThePetiteMummy Wed 10-Oct-12 17:08:12

That's a reasonable question Coffeecake, but topical treatments certainly do work, along with relevant supplements where necessary. The drops you mention are prescribed for a specific type of hair loss, and work by penetrating the hair follicle. They block the action of male hormones on the hair follicle, which can be responsible for some types of hair thinning.

Deux Wed 10-Oct-12 16:13:51

Have you stopped any kind of hormonal treatment eg come off the pill?

I read somewhere recently that this can cause the hair to thin and that it can take up to a year for it to recover.

Medal Wed 10-Oct-12 16:02:42

That's funny, Batiste have replied here!

Yes I think Style and Beauty will be busier than General Health smile

coffeecake Wed 10-Oct-12 14:48:27

Or how about "Keeping our hair on (hair loss support thread)"?

coffeecake Wed 10-Oct-12 14:46:16

Medal that's fantastic! Shall I do it in style and beauty?

Batistehair Wed 10-Oct-12 14:22:41

Official response from batiste Dry Shampoo.

If you have used Batiste dry shampoo and have had encountered any problems, please can I urge you to contact our consumer care line directly at consumer.relationsuk@churchdwight.com or tel: 01303 858821. As with all complaints, we will conduct a full investigation since we want all of our consumers to be happy with their purchase. Please be assured that ingredients in Batiste are widely used in hair care products and that this product has a long history of safe use by consumers. However, we do take all consumer complaints seriously and will conduct a thorough assessment to find out the cause of this problem.

Medal Wed 10-Oct-12 14:17:31

How about Keeping our hair on (hair support thread) or is that just daft?

coffeecake Wed 10-Oct-12 11:50:12

Oh yes thanks whoknows, I remember now. Yes that's a different matter isn't it?
I will start a support thread but I still can't decide of a name for it.

"Thepetitemummy* I hope you don't mind me asking, but you say that " Hair loss, of any type, happens due to internal factors. " so surely, anything used externally wouldn't stop the hairloss, you would need something internal to treat hairloss, like supplements etc...
A MN told me that at your clinic, they prescribed her some drops that you apply to the scalp to minimise hair loss. How can that work then?

I've posted in the past about having steroids from the dermatologist, but that was for alopecia, ie distinct bare patches as opposed to general thinning.

I have a small piece of advice: if you are using any sort of spray on your hair, be sure to hold the actuator/nozzle at a good distance from your scalp. If you spray too close then you will cause damage to your skin (it's the same with deodorant and I used to work in that industry)

Kalypso Wed 10-Oct-12 08:42:14

I would like to join a support thread please! I'm nearly thirty but have had noticeable female pattern hairloss since the age of 20. My experience is in line with the above poster's opinion (i.e. that it's an internal thing). I had a major depression at 20 and suffered hairloss along my parting as a result. I always had very fine hair to begin so the loss was more noticeable. Interested to read about the folic acid though, I might give that a try!

I've been using dry shampoo for a couple of years - I don't think it has made the loss worse.

For me, using sprinkle on fake hair (yes,really!!) has given me a big confidence boost. It hides the areas where my scalp is showing through,and nobody has ever noticed it. It's a bit like putting concealer on a spot. Obviously I'd prefer to reverse the thinning, but knowing it's not so obvious has really helped me stop worrying so much.

ThePetiteMummy Tue 09-Oct-12 21:48:32

As a trichologist, I can tell you there is no way dry shampoo could cause hair loss. Hair loss, of any type, happens due to internal factors. Anything put on externally can obviously damage the condition of the hair, but cannot cause it to fall out. With regard to the op shampooing less often, bear in mind that most dead hair is dislodged by the act of shampooing, so the longer you leave between washes, the more hair you can expect to see in the plug hole. Losing 80-100 strands per day is normal! The significant thing would be a change in your normal amount of loss.

coffeecake Tue 09-Oct-12 21:28:48

Sorry P.S: What shall I call the new support thread?
I thought of "Support thread for hairloss in women"
or "Support thread for ladies with hairloss"
Let me know if you think of anything better

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now