Help, my face is collapsing...!

(35 Posts)
EllieorOllie Sat 06-Oct-12 13:49:59

In the last 6 months I've really noticed the ageing process kicking in. It's like I hit 31 and my face just gave up trying to fight gravity.

I have wrinkles under the outer edges of my eyes, deep forehead lines, crepey eyelids and I'm starting to get wrinkles around my mouth. It's horrendous. I can kind of cover it all with make up except the forehead lines but I'd like to try to do something a bit more proactive about it.

My skin is dry and sensitive so I guess I need a moisturiser that's going to suit my skin and help my craters a little. I don't think the dryness particularly helps the appearance of the wrinkles. All recommendations gratefully received, upper budget of about 20 quid for a moisturiser.

Any other suggestions for wonder products also welcome.

Lastly I could do with a non-shimmery taupe powder eyeshadow, under a tenner. Pretty please!

coffeeinbed Sun 07-Oct-12 20:25:40

Rosehip oil is good for this.
Now, if you wanted to combine Salma's routine with some rose oil serum you could get the Boots Una Brennan Rose oil. it's around 15 quid. They recommend using it as in the Oil Cleaning Method.
Leave some residue and don't wash the next morning.

Lovewearingjeans Sun 07-Oct-12 20:18:06

Bizarrely I use it to fill in my eyebrows.

myroomisatip Sun 07-Oct-12 16:31:32

I think a lot of it is genes and I am so lucky to be very well advanced in age and have barely a wrinkle smile

I use Boots Protect and Perfect and also do a facial massage at least every other day, www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g7KTDg6LNw&feature=related or have a look and see if there is another massage that you prefer. I use bio-oil for the massage.

EllieorOllie Sun 07-Oct-12 14:13:31

The BD eyeshadow I mean...

EllieorOllie Sun 07-Oct-12 14:12:36

Thanks lwj, was passing Tesco earlier so went in and got some, it's exactly what I wanted.

camper commiserations! I like origins stuff so I shall bear that one in mind too, thanks.

Lovewearingjeans Sun 07-Oct-12 08:41:35

Facial massage is also good, makes my skin, and the muscles under feel great. Tescos Barbara Daly range used to do a matt taupe shade. Neutrogenia do a great 25spf daily moisturiser.

CamperFan Sun 07-Oct-12 08:24:38

I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but I have just started using Origins Night A Mins, which was around £22 I think, more than I usually spend, but I really felt like I needed something. I have skin that is both oily and acne prone AND aging, dry patches etc - what a lovely combination! When I ws putting on foundation it kept flaking all over my cheeks. Since using the Night A Mins, it is much better, and I feel like my skin looks a bit fresher. I've only been using it a week. It goes on quite thick, but absorbs within about 5 mins, leaving skin soft and non greasy.

At 37 I am feeling like an old hag so I know how you feel OP!

ppeatfruit Sun 07-Oct-12 07:53:57

Silk pillow cases are lovely for smoothing yr hair I haven't noticed the effect on my skin though. Another thing I've recently started doing is Acupressure which is brilliant for firming up yr body (I've just lost nearly 3 stone and still got my firm boobs,bum and chin and less wrinkles) All down to the acupressure it's not expensive 'cos you DIY!!!

cerealqueen Sat 06-Oct-12 23:22:25

Another one for Rosehip oil, a couple of drops added to your moisturiser. I've been using it for a few weeks now (recommendation here of course!) and everybody tels me how well I look. My skin has that lovely dewy texture and feels more supple.

People have also sworn by silk pillowcases on her but I haven't tried one yet.

EllieorOllie Sat 06-Oct-12 23:10:05

Right, off to bed having had a big dinner, snacked on almonds, drunk water but no alcohol, slathered on moisturiser and massaged bio oil into my forehead wrinkles. Hoping to wake up looking a decade younger wink

Mrs CB you might be right about the botox. Years of squinting due to short sightedness has led to forehead lines that cannot possibly erased without surgery sadly. Use a balm cleanser anyway at night, so that bit's sorted.

Oh and squoosh I'll definitely try mua, my local superdrug doesn't have the full range but I've heard great things about it.

Thanks for all the suggestions s&b ladies.

squoosh Sat 06-Oct-12 20:35:43

For good pigmenty eyeshadows at a really good price (£3 for a palette of 12!!) try the MUA range at Superdrug. Much better than the price would suggest. This Undressed palette is vvvv similar to Urban Decay's Naked palette which is £36.

www.muastore.co.uk/index.php/12-shade-undressed-palette

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 06-Oct-12 20:30:48

Save up for botox for forehead lines and then spend less on any old moisturiser with a decent spf.

I like a balm cleanser as have dry skin - Eve Lom or Vaishaly.

And m&s autograph do good non-shimmery eye shadows.

lurkingaround Sat 06-Oct-12 20:28:36

Yes, don't be too thin, there comes a time when a woman has to choose between her face and her bum. Unfortunately.

squoosh Sat 06-Oct-12 18:51:42

If you're too thin then putting on a few pounds will make the world of difference. Deflated balloons are wrinklier etc. Include lots of good fats in your diet, don't wash your face in the morning (I'm with Salma on this one), lots of sleep, don't rub at your face and all will be well. And buy a rosehip oil, they last for aaages.

Disclaimer: Not comparing you to a balloon!

CuriousMama Sat 06-Oct-12 18:31:23

Nope it starts from inside I'm afraid. The Mediterranean diet is good. And stop being too thin!! wink

Try a breathing technique perhaps? I've suffered from panic attacks and am off meds now. I try to do a technique I read about where you breath with your mouth in a round O shape and sort of breath out as if trying to steam up a window iykwim? I can't find it on google think it was in Prima? Anyway it may help your stress and also get more oxygen to your blood, which is good for you. Do you exercise? That's good for your skin too. Yoga? I may have already said this as I tend to repeat myself?

EllieorOllie Sat 06-Oct-12 18:06:44

*stress head

EllieorOllie Sat 06-Oct-12 18:06:02

lurking I know what you mean, but I think curiousmama might have a point about it being to do with my skin type rather than simply ageing, so presumably doing less face washing with soapy products will stop my face from drying out as much.

I don't smoke but I'm too thin, I'm a stress had and I probably drink a bit too much too regularly, so plenty to work on there!! Changes to diet sound interesting ed well.

Am already a Liz Earle customer so hopefully they will oblige with samples.

Damn, and there was I thinking I'd go and buy some magic serum and that would be that!

futterbingers Sat 06-Oct-12 17:10:47

I've started using Aldi anti ageing hyaluronic acid gel and hyaluronic acid moisturiser with factor 15 spf. They were both about 8e each, which is probably about £6 each. I've had a couple of people comment on how well my skin is looking, glowing even! The only eye cream I can tolerate is an Avon one, its part of the Anew range and I think I got it on special offer.
Some general advice would be, always use an spf, take as good care of your neck and chest as your face (I didn't, now my neck makes a liar of my face!). Keep hydrated, don't smoke, and don't frown.
As for the eyeshadow, try Inglot, they have a great range of colours.

alemci Sat 06-Oct-12 17:10:09

the olay stuff isn't bad. i use the firming lotion.

I found some rose oil in tK max. not the one on here. haven't used it yet.

must admit i woke up today and felt my skin was a bit saggy around my jaw. i am 45.

just be careful in the sun in the future and watch the diet. what about Avon cremes. they are reasonably priced

lurkingaround Sat 06-Oct-12 17:08:53

Ah, the bullshit all makes sense now Curious grin

ppeatfruit Sat 06-Oct-12 17:07:32

My DD is 31 she says as soon as she stops going out with mates on alcoholic binges her skin looks 10 yrs younger after 4 days shock She doesn't smoke and eats very healthily drinks a lot of filtered water but it's the lack of the booze that makes a huge difference.

I recommend the above and colloidal silver moisturiser from the H.F. shop about £15. I eat for my blood type and look a hell of a lot younger than a lot of my friends who are younger than me oh and a good night's sleep too!! smile

CuriousMama Sat 06-Oct-12 16:57:42

lurking she uses her own range of cosmetics too so could be that? grin

It's genes with me, must be because I smoked and drank from a young age 10 although gave up smoking unless drunk and don't drink regularly now. I think being too thin can make you look older as you age tbh. Eating a good balanced diet is key. And it helps if you can keep stress levels down but that's easier said than done.

lurkingaround Sat 06-Oct-12 16:47:27

Sorry but Salma Hayek is talking shite.

Something as simple as not washing your face in the morning keeps you young? What a load. Would that it were so easy and cheap. More like laser, Botox, fillers, and you name it I'll have it.

Don't smoke, daily sunscreen, eat well, maybe Retin-A, be careful when picking your parents.
After that it's Botox and the like.
Sorry but that's it.

HalfSpamHalfBrisket Sat 06-Oct-12 16:19:46

Just checking - you don't smoke do you? If you do, stop now as this can have a huge effect on your skin.

CuriousMama Sat 06-Oct-12 16:17:19

Can I just ask, what's your diet like? Are you getting plenty of oils in nuts, advocado etc... or taking essential oils? Using olive oil?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now