Rant. Hair. frizzy. why don't hairdressers listen

(125 Posts)
kelpeed Sat 06-Oct-12 04:49:15

My hair was cut yesterday. It is thick and wavy and turns to frizz when short.

I provided a photo showing a cut like Jo Grant's in Dr Who (Jon Pertwee). a bit layered, medium longish, and with each of the layers curling with their own length.

I asked that NO thinning scissors or razors be used, just the scissors. I also said I'm not going to be a slave to a hairdryer, so please cut the hair so it will be low maintainence. But did they listen?

I came out looking like Jennifer Anniston. AGAIN. With wispy ends and edges and hair all blow-dried straight.

Once it is washed I will look like a witch, with lots of ends flying in all directions. I will then wear it up in a bun for work, or a ponytail, so it looks relatively neater, and then it will be at least another year before I brave going into another hairdresser.

I hate this. It happens most of the time.

Hairdressers always bloody whip out the thinning scissors, and trim the edges around my face and at the ends so it looks and feels like I have feathers. They say the thinning scissors are important to make sure the ends arent noticed, and I get made to feel like I'm some sort of lower life form if I don't agree. I have never been to the same hairdresser twice in the last 10 years because I end up with this awful Jennifer cut.

I always end up asking myself these questions afterwards.

Why do hairdressers use the thinning scissors on curly/wavy/frizz-prone hair?

Why don't hairdressers bloody listen ? Or- what should i be doing differently besides relying on photoes which they seem to ignore ? Are there any special terms that I need to use to get them to listen apart from NOT the Jennifer A. look? I repeat-Showing a photo does NOT work.

What it is with the feathery jagged edge ends? I dont like it (on me).

Why do they expect me to blow dry my hair to make it flat when I have clearly wavy/curly hair?

When are teach hairdressers going to learn new haircuts, besides the Jennifer?

If any MNetters have answers to these please share - but not if it involves using a blowdryer or spending money on antifrizz/keratin stuff for my hair.

MoomieAndFreddie Sat 06-Oct-12 10:01:22

Oh I thought I was the only one!!

I too have curly hair that I used to straighten the life out of or tie back when wet to "hide" the curl....but then I thought, you know what, curly hair is ME and I am not going to try and change it anymore!

So in the last few months I have been wearing it curly, but have found that hairdressers are CLUELESS with curly hair, they just blindly assume EVERYONE wants poker straight hair sad

So what I do now is go in wearing it curly and firmly explain THIS is how I wear it, and I want them to cut it so it looks good down and curly. You do have to be firm with them though as most of them just can't believe anyone would VOLUNTARILY have curly hair hmm

kelpeed Sat 06-Oct-12 11:32:27

hey -lots of responses! Sorry for my delayed followup but I've just returned from a long walk to see i'm not alone! big thanks to everyone for their views.

I agree the price of the haircut has nothing to do with quality - my fave cuts have been with my local (but now sadly departed) cutters.

Also agree that many hairdressers have an attitude, and I also assume they know more about hair than I do (which isnt very hard) so I always let them talk me into a style which makes me look like a fright ten minutes after I walk out of their door. When they give me a cut which needs styling , why don't they go with something that is curly, not flat.

Next time i have a haircut (next year probally) i will first reread this thread, strap on some, and say firmly no thinning scissors thank you.and hold the line if need.

(side thought - I wonder if the sellers of thinning scissors have a lot to answer for. another even sillier side thought -does JA get any royalities when people get her haircut.)

For those that were heading off to headdressers (Rollercola) I'd love to hear how it went and whether you tried to ask that the cutter not use thinning scissors.

coocoocawhooOOOOO Sat 06-Oct-12 11:45:28

Ooh, I feel your pain. I have now become a dab hand at a big roller brush and a hair dryer to get something akin to one of the examples above. Without this though, I woould need straighteners as all the fly away end bits suddenly go all afro if left un-heattreated damnit!

I have a friend who just washes her hair and leaves it to dry with no products and it goes all softly wavy and angelic - love her but can't help thinking what a cow bag!!!

I always come home from the hairdressers looking like The Stig with a crash helmet for a head, it is so bouffant.

I go straight home and jump in the shower.

MoomieAndFreddie Sat 06-Oct-12 11:58:43

What actually ARE thinning scissors? And what are they supposed to DO? they sound like instruments of torture confused

RollerCola Sat 06-Oct-12 12:01:26

I've just come back. It went very badly sad I can't even speak just yet so will have some lunch & then tell you when I've calmed down.

brighthair Sat 06-Oct-12 12:21:16

sad
I found a hairdresser and asked who was good with curly hair, my stylist has curly hair and she is amazing with it. Doesn't moan when I leave with wet hair - I hate it when they dry it, I end up with huge huge hair which I don't want. F I fancy a change she will straighten it (no easy task) at no extra charge

Meglet Sat 06-Oct-12 12:27:45

There was a funny thread on here quite a while ago about hairdressers being crap with curly hair. I think photos of Whitesnake and Bon Jovi were linked to.

I look like Slash if someone goes at my hair with a hairdryer hmm.

RollerCola Sat 06-Oct-12 12:39:57

The guy I booked the appt with (never been before myself, only take ds there now & again to the barbers) assured me that he was experienced with curly hair. He is the salon owner & in his 60s so I decided that he knew what he was doing.

He took a look at it first and decided that as it wasn't that curly that he'd wash it first rather than cutting it dry. Fair enough, it's not mega curly but at worst its very wavy and with some encouragement it's fairly curly.

He washed it and discussed layers - agreed that he'd put some long layers in to encourage the lower curls. So far so good. He then diffused it to 'see how curly it actually was' He dried each section by fluffing it up in the diffuser confused until I looked like some kind of demented poodle hmm. He then poofed it about and I could tell he was starting to panic.

He then started umming and aaahing about it really not being that curly (it is, but by now it wasn't) and that it was terribly dry. He asked me if I used straighteners - I started to say that I used to straighten it ever day until about a year ago but he interrupted and said 'ah well if you straighten it every day that'll be why it's so dry'. I explained that I actually haven't used straighteners for over a year now & he backtracked & said it must be all the bleach. I said I only get it coloured once every 3 mths or so. He then said I mustn't be conditioning it enough etc etc etc (I do, all the things he said I should do)

He then decided that he needed to blow dry it as it looked so shit as it was very frizzy so he blowed it with a big brush and attempted to create waves.

I've come out looking, as you, like Jennifer Anniston but which he said looked lovely and very 'beach-tousled' and 'glamourous'. It feels like straw which it really didn't when I went in.

I'm desperately hoping that once I've washed it again the layers at least will be what I was hoping for. Sorry this really isn't the story you were hoping for, but just another shit curly hairdo to add to the hoards of others angry

If anyone can recommend a good hairdresser in the NW please let me know as I'm now close to having it all cut off and going back to the ghds.

kelpeed Sat 06-Oct-12 12:50:50

RollerC - sorry to hear it didnt go well. what happened ?<nosy>

I'd love to go in with photos of Bon Jovi, Jennifer A and/or Whitesnake just to see what I would come out with.

M&F - thinning scissors are scissors with one of the blades being in the shape of a comb so different lengths of hair are cut each time the blades go together.

SuperB0F Sat 06-Oct-12 12:54:26

Whereabouts in the NW? I believe Faye Lawless in Crosby (North Liverpool) is excellent- I got that recommendation on the Curly Girl website forums, I think. I've yet to bite the bullet though, as I love my cheap mobile hairdresser.

Kelpeed, I know you said not to recommend kerastase etc, but being the maverick that I am, I am going to insist you check out this very reasonably-priced treatment on Amazon. I get it before my hairdresser comes so she can put it in for me, as I can't face the laborious task myself: it's much easier if somebody else does it. You do need to put up with straightened hair for a couple of washes, but in my experience the curl returns quite quickly, and is about a million times smoother and easier to manage.

brighthair Sat 06-Oct-12 13:01:42

RollerC - I can recommend one in Preston and one in Bolton if either of those are any use?
Wash it and see, I hate mine when it's styled by someone else

pantaloons Sat 06-Oct-12 13:08:13

My hair is madly curly and I actually like it a lot now. It's got huge amounts of volume and I keep it just above shoulder level. Personally I like that it's a bit different and love that I can just wash it, bang some cream on and forget about it.

On the hairdresser/thinning scissors front the worst experience I've had is at a local salon. She basically got the thinning scissors against my scalp and hacked away. When I came out and ran my hands through my hair there were areas of stubble all over my scalp! Talk about a nightmare. I now never let any thinning scissors or razors near my hair and have found that for my hair the best bet is to not feather the front at all and have lots of mid length layers through the rest and not wear it any longer than me shoulders.

I do feel your pain op, I live in the NW and go to a local salon now. If you are anywhere near the staffs/cheshire border I would recommend him.

fuckadoodlepoopoo Sat 06-Oct-12 13:12:08

I have this problem.

I think curly hair has been so unfashionable for such a long time (like i give a shit! Individuality rules!) that a lot of people think curly hair is a fate worse then death!

I recently popped into my two local hair dressers to ask about mine being styled. I only ever get the bottoms trimmed (my dh does it!) and its pretty curly. Its random though so if i go to a wedding it might look nice, it might not. So I've been trying to find somewhere where i can get it done nice perhaps with a different sized curl.

The first one i went into looked really unsure and ummed and ahhed. The next one the woman on the desk was confident and sensible about what could be achieved. She also said that she styles another woman with hair just like mine every week.

Next time i have somewhere nice to go Im going to try her!

MarzipanAnimal Sat 06-Oct-12 13:54:55

I've had a similar problem and have started doing the MN haircut. It's made my hair curl much better (was just wavy/scruffy before), lots of people have asked what I've done to it. It's still a bit frizzy and doesn't look great after being slept on but I use Moroccan oil which helps a bit

kelpeed Sat 06-Oct-12 13:59:30

oops delayed x post.

RCola - sorry again!! - he said he was familiar with curly hair yes? it seems like he spent more time doing the blow drying than the actual cutting.

I will need to add this to my list of things to worry about before I head out for a haircut : how many return curly headed customers do you get?
At least poodles get to wear their curls, and with pride. <thinks about going to a dog hairdresser that does poodle cuts>

SBoF -thanks link. mavericks rule. I had a brazilian keratin treatment last year at a big expensive salon. it cost me lotsnlots. plus more lots. actually, more than twenty times that kit on amazon. spent six hours in chair being blow dried and ironed, and the smell! i nearly died. it lasted about six months, and apart from the monster price and that i lost 6 hours that I will never see again, i was mostly happy with it once the waves started to return ( about a month after th treatment) but my hair started to snap off in the middle where my ponytail elastic sat. I'd have tried this stuff if I hadnt had the salon treatment already, but now I am sure i don't want a repeat experience.

plus are curls not worthy of keeping? I am also a leetle reluctant to throw $$ at stuff.

pantalon stubble!! <faints> . i've done "zig zag" haircuts on my kids (only cos they move their heads to try to see how I am doing) but i've not done stubble.yet.

gladyoucame Sat 06-Oct-12 14:24:58

Brighthair could you let me know which hairdressers you recommend for curly hair in Bolton and Preston. Wearing it straight at the moment but would love a decent cut so I can wear it curly again.

brighthair Sat 06-Oct-12 16:08:22

Of course
Janet at Cutting It which is on Halliwell Road in Bolton (the smithills end of it)
And I can never remember the spelling so I will go with how she pronounces it! Michaela at Dotty Lines, Blackpool Road, Preston - although I've had other people there and not had a bad cut
I will say I don't like how any hairdresser dries my hair so I just have it cut. But it gets layered nicely, and sits well straight or curly, and I have proper "orphan Annie" ringlets

BikeRunSki Sat 06-Oct-12 20:20:47

The best haircuts I have ever had were £6 (cheap even in late 1990s) from a local salon in Sheffield, by a hairdresser with curly hair.

My worst was with Toni and Guy. Ni scissors were ever actually involved, but three branches (Newcastle, Leeds, Epsom) have all told me that they don't do curly hair.

fuckadoodlepoopoo Sat 06-Oct-12 21:20:21

Don't do curly hair?! That's outrageous! I wonder what percentage of people have curly hair!

DameSaggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 06-Oct-12 21:24:18

I've stuck with my hairdresser of 30 odd years for precisely this reason. She's the only who ever listened when I said it shrinks by half when it's dry and didn't send me out looking like a 70s popstar.

HumphreyCobbler Sat 06-Oct-12 21:29:04
Besom Sat 06-Oct-12 21:29:18

The only two hairdressers who have every cut my hair propertly have similar hair themselves.

sausagesandwich34 Sat 06-Oct-12 21:37:04

I don't have a problem with thining scissors but razors!

I've never had it razored before but went to a new salon, asked who was good with curly hair, was told one of the stylists had hair like mine so they would book me in with her

that was 2 years ago and I haven't worn it down since

I complained and have been having free cuts with the owner since and will do untill all the razoring has been cut out -he admitted that she shouldn't of gone near hair with my texture with a razor

it's like wire wool, curls up on itself -nightmare!

fuckadoodlepoopoo Sat 06-Oct-12 21:50:55

2 years!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now