Really really comfy boots for winter?

(79 Posts)
minipie Fri 05-Oct-12 12:34:52

Hi all! Hoping to pick the collective MN brain once again.

I'm due to have DC1 in early December and am anticipating lots of long wintertime walks with pram.

I need some really comfortable boots to wear, mainly with skirts and black opaque tights.

My wishlist:
- Won't leak in the rain
- Leather or suede (prefer suede, but only if it stands up to the weather)
- Probably black to blend with tights, but will consider dark browns if lovely
- Knee length or ankle length best as I have quite short and chunky calves and would prefer to avoid being cut off mid calf
- Maybe a tiny heel for a bit of a height boost, but comfort is more important
- Warm - maybe sheepskin lined?

But the main thing is they need to be super comfortable.

I quite like the look of these Broome III by Ugg but don't know if they would be comfy, and they are vair vair expensive. And do they just look like wellies?

Any suggestions very welcome!

minipie Fri 05-Oct-12 14:40:55

Thanks, had a look at the Sorel website, think they are a bit technical looking for me iykwim. Ideally I don't want lots of laces or hikery bits.

Toying with the idea of two pairs - something like the Clarks nettle leaf ones for really cold/snow days and v casual (also for wearing with trousers) and maybe the Merrell Captiva for slightly warmer/smarter occasions?

Any views on the Ugg ones?

Jaeme Fri 05-Oct-12 14:47:29

Might be a wee bit too low but I have these in chocolate and love them they have full sheepskin lining so they're super warm

http://www.kurtgeiger.com/women/kensington.html

minipie Fri 05-Oct-12 14:47:40

Humph. The Merrell Encore Flurry boot (top left here would be ideal but I can't find it anywhere.

minipie Fri 05-Oct-12 14:49:12

Ooh, hadn't thought of Kurt Geiger. Will have a look, thanks

monkeysbignuts Fri 05-Oct-12 14:50:40

I have these in black www.urbanlegendz.co.uk/product/741/41/dr_martens_ladies_new_authentic_wedge_zip_calf_boot_bark

they are by far the comfiest boots I own, very hard wearing and look gorgeous on too smile

suburban Fri 05-Oct-12 15:01:08

Hi Millie.
I bought the ugg Broome II last year. Almost identical to the ones you linked but with a chunkier heel.

I love them, got them reduced on amazon to £150 well worth the investment. I have the chocolate, they have a more suede like appearance in real life and def don't look like Wellies. They are completely water tight and just so comfortable. I walk everywhere (don't drive) and the treads have hard,y worn down since last year.

My favourite thing is that they don't look like walking boots/snow boots. I happily wear them with skinny jeans and dresses. They have had lots of compliements.

Timberland also do lots of practical but don't look it boots. I like these

I have these on my Amazon wishlist. As they lace up, you shouldn't have any problems with chunky calves, and they come in black and dark brown as well as chestnut.

minipie Fri 05-Oct-12 15:16:46

thanks all!

suburban you may just have sold me on the Ugg Broomes, though wish I could find them cheaper! i can only find them in brown at reduced price in my size and I think I want black.

Will have a look at timberlands too - your link goes to an asos parka though?

monkey I like the DMs but think they will be mid calf on me, fire I prefer not lace up in theory, though that may change if I find I can't wedge my calves into the other styles...

suburban Fri 05-Oct-12 15:22:03

Oops! Was meant to go here

suburban Fri 05-Oct-12 15:23:27

Also I am large of calf too and had to wedge mine in the first couple of wears but they do give.

pinksummer Fri 05-Oct-12 15:27:28

They do the Clarks Norley in a long version too - and lined so really cosy.

www.clarks.co.uk/p/20352538

Stevie77 Fri 05-Oct-12 15:29:17

I have these, bought last winter for walking outside when wet & snowy. They do the job.

minipie Fri 05-Oct-12 15:31:01

Sorry one more question suburban on the Broomes - how slim are they on the calf? My calves are not monstrous but reasonably chunky (eg hunter wellies are a pretty snug fit)... wondering if I will be able to get them done up...

minipie Fri 05-Oct-12 15:35:11

cross posted on the calf question, thank you you read my mind grin

I am so slow! will look at everyone's links, thank you

suburban Fri 05-Oct-12 15:38:20

Have just measured mine, luckily for you Dd happened to be playing with a measuring tape and I am wearing the boots. They are 40cm around the top.

I also struggle with hunters and am fine, but have a friend who is a size 8 with freakishly big calves too and she couldn't get the Broomes done up.

You might as well give them a go, just make sure you have a good returns policy in case.

minipie Fri 05-Oct-12 15:42:05

Hadn't spotted those other Clarks ones, they look good subject to working out where they cut on my calf!

Seems like a visit to Ugg and to Clarks is in order. Merrell website does free returns so I might order the two contenders from there too.

Timberland boots look good but don't come in black...

Thank you all!

I bought some of these a few winters ago and I love them. They are the comfiest boots I own and are still going strong after lots of wear.

bigpants103 Fri 05-Oct-12 19:38:02

I bought some of the Clarks Norley Cedar boots last week and LOVE them. Nice with tights and skirts as well as leggings and skinny jeans. £89.00 in shop but £71 online with the code BOOST. I've walked miles in mine today and they were so comfy!!

minipie Fri 05-Oct-12 22:08:58

Back from a trip to Ugg and Clarks. Well, embarrassingly I couldn't get any of the knee high uggs done up over my calves blush. (I would like to blame being 7 months pregnant but I suspect I might have had the same issue pre pregnancy).

In Clarks I liked the two Norley options and the Nettle (soo comfy) but DH vetoed the Nettle which I might ignore

I have also ordered these by Rocket Dog and I'm considering ordering quite a few from Merrell.

Thanks all!

mrsconfuseddotcom Fri 05-Oct-12 22:18:45

I have [http://www.shoon.com/just-arrived/department-womens-shoes/boots-casual-boots/navigate-204533-brown.htm these] in black and brown.

They are rather wonderful. Goretex so warm if it's cold and cool if it's warm. Very very comfortable. I could walk miles in them.

mrsconfuseddotcom Fri 05-Oct-12 22:19:19
minipie Fri 05-Oct-12 22:21:43

Ooh, they look really good mrs! Do they have a zip on the inside, and will they fit my big calves?

BensonBunny Sat 06-Oct-12 00:01:32

Can I just ask what Merrell sizing is like? I love the Captiva boots linked to up thread but feel very anxious about ordering without trying them on.
Thanks

Peeenut Sat 06-Oct-12 01:07:23

Someone linked to the CAT caribou (sp?) I got some a couple of years ago, they're lovely and warm. I've worn them in fresh snow or for many a cold winter day, they did last a 3 hour walk in deep snow before they got wet, it was wet snow! It I wouldn't say they are waterproof but good boots.

SilverSixpence Sat 06-Oct-12 07:38:07

Merrell wilderness remix look lovely - leather with removable liner and waterproof

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now