Really really comfy boots for winter?

(79 Posts)
minipie Fri 05-Oct-12 12:34:52

Hi all! Hoping to pick the collective MN brain once again.

I'm due to have DC1 in early December and am anticipating lots of long wintertime walks with pram.

I need some really comfortable boots to wear, mainly with skirts and black opaque tights.

My wishlist:
- Won't leak in the rain
- Leather or suede (prefer suede, but only if it stands up to the weather)
- Probably black to blend with tights, but will consider dark browns if lovely
- Knee length or ankle length best as I have quite short and chunky calves and would prefer to avoid being cut off mid calf
- Maybe a tiny heel for a bit of a height boost, but comfort is more important
- Warm - maybe sheepskin lined?

But the main thing is they need to be super comfortable.

I quite like the look of these Broome III by Ugg but don't know if they would be comfy, and they are vair vair expensive. And do they just look like wellies?

Any suggestions very welcome!

Hopefully Fri 05-Oct-12 12:39:47

I tend to buy a pair of Clarks slouchy boots every couple of years, usually in grey or brown suede. They seem to last really well and survive the hours of walking I do with the DCs every day. I have the Majorca Villa ones this year (classy name too...)

janek Fri 05-Oct-12 12:51:31

Merrell 'lifestyle' boots. Warm, waterproof, stylish, comfy, good.

minipie Fri 05-Oct-12 12:55:37

thanks! Will have a look at both.

grin at Merrell, I have my eye on a Wakefield coat so could end up pretty much sponsored by Merrell at this rate

janek Fri 05-Oct-12 12:58:48

The same thing happened to me two winters ago - i now have a merrell haven and some merrell boots, the name currently escapes me. I've never been so warm! Even dp noticed i was much more willing to go to the off licence than i've ever been before. School run in the rain? No problem for me!

In summary, mumsnet made me do it.

dexter73 Fri 05-Oct-12 13:03:46

I have just ordered these in brown for £45. They are always being recommended on here so I thought I would be foolish not to buy them!

minipie Fri 05-Oct-12 13:03:56

Oh warmth, warmth. I am always slightly too cold, sounds like Merrell may be my lifesaver.

I can't find any called "lifestyle" but there are these called Chardonel and these called Captiva

what do we think? I like the fittedness of the Captiva (more flattering on my short and slightly chunky legs) but I like the suede and warm lining of the Chardonel...

Will all Merrell boots definitely be comfy, as I won't be able to try them on before ordering?

off to look at Clarks...

Lottapianos Fri 05-Oct-12 13:07:35

Clarks are dead comfy OP. I bought a pair of their 'Unstructured' boots three years ago and have worn them practically every day for 7 months of the year. They are light but sturdy, so comfy and still going strong after all that wear.

janek Fri 05-Oct-12 13:07:46

I don't think you'll regret your decision dexter.

Mine are tempest high, they are brilliant.

I just looked at the merrell website and they don't seem to do anywhere near as many as they used to. Perhaps it's not quite the tine of year yet.

But if you look up yarra, oslo, puffin (ie specific product names) on amazon and e-bay there is plently available.

janek Fri 05-Oct-12 13:17:48

Yes, you're right op, they used to be called lifestyle boots and now they're not!

The ones you've chosen don't seem to be waterproof, and you need them to list 'optiwarm' or 'polartec' (i think...) to be amazing and warm.

Look up some of the ones i've named upthread and look at their blurb. Although i will admit that i ignored the fact that you said knee-length, these are all mid-calf. Although mine come in a low version too (tempest).

minipie Fri 05-Oct-12 13:20:54

I like the style of the Merrell Yarra but they are mid calfish (or will be on me), so would prefer something shorter or a lot longer ideally.

From Clarks, I quite like these Norley Wood but they are ankle so not so warm as knee

these (nettle leaf) are cute but are they really just too much like slippers?

Lottapianos Fri 05-Oct-12 13:23:20

I like the nettle leaf ones, they look warm and comfy smile

minipie Fri 05-Oct-12 13:23:48

cross posted janek, ah ok, I will have a look at the tech spec, thanks.

I don't need them to be fully waterproof like wellies iyswim, I just need them to stand up to being caught in the rain... unlike my current thin leather soled boots (smart but totally pointless in the wet). So anything with a rubbery sole would prob work.

bunjies Fri 05-Oct-12 13:24:10

Yep, second Merrell Oslo too grin. They are the comfiest, warmest boots I've ever had. They don't have much of a heel though and they do stop just below calf on me (I do have short legs as well) so this may put you off.

I do like the Prevoz too

kiwidreamer Fri 05-Oct-12 13:39:17

I've just tried to order the Oslo boots but when I add to my basket it shows as £90 not £45 bahhhhhhhhhhh wonder if they are out of stock now, have emailed their CS for help

notjustamummythankyou Fri 05-Oct-12 13:40:55

I third Merrell Oslo! Have already got some miles out of them with all that rain recently. Love 'em.

Field and Trek have got limited sizes for £45. I got mine for £115 this time last year.

I reckon a lot of the shops are clearing last year's stock to make way for new winter stock - good time to grab a bargain!

kiwidreamer Fri 05-Oct-12 13:41:57

ahhhhh the size 8's are £45, nothing changes on the product page but the amount in the basket changes by size - that was confusing!

forevergreek Fri 05-Oct-12 13:46:08

Try sorrel also. Tad expensive but warm and waterproof

notjustamummythankyou Fri 05-Oct-12 13:46:32

Hmm just worked for me kiwi (although not buying, just checking!). The size 8s went into the basket no problem, and I could get as far as checkout.

Perhaps clear your cookies and try again??

kiwidreamer Fri 05-Oct-12 13:54:07

If you add a pair of size 6.5 to your basket what price is it when you go to the checkout??

notjustamummythankyou Fri 05-Oct-12 14:11:33

£90 - it looks like only the size 8s are £45.

notjustamummythankyou Fri 05-Oct-12 14:13:43

.... and by randomly adding more and more pairs of size 8s to my basket, I think they have 9 pairs of size 8s left - probably why they're only £45!

ATourchOfInsanity Fri 05-Oct-12 14:20:16

I just got these in black and now (typically) awaiting the downpours we had last week to try them out...
www.amazon.co.uk/Cat-Footwear-Caribou-Trimmed-P304674/dp/B003EYVR6K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349443124&sr=8-1

HullaBalloo Fri 05-Oct-12 14:25:14

What is the sizing like on the Merrill Oslos, especially round the calf ? Can you turn them down and make them shorter if you are athletically challenged in the calf area ?

notjustamummythankyou Fri 05-Oct-12 14:26:18

Ooh I like those, insanity. A friend of mine has something similar, and they look great.

I NEED more boots

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now