Is anyone doing capes this year?

(42 Posts)
Inneedofbrandy Thu 04-Oct-12 22:32:11

I think I want one, don't know if there to "princessy eww"....

MrsSnow Fri 05-Oct-12 15:43:15

I have a camel chunky wool cape from Phase Eight bought in the January sales and have to say I love it. I was even wearing it earlier.

Bag wise I find an over the body bag is easier to handle. I also make sure to wear long sleeves tops on underneath.

Legs wise, I either wear skinnies and boots or straight legged. Any thing wider than straight legged makes me look too wide with the cape.

minipie Fri 05-Oct-12 16:33:22

Dotty P has some cheap ones, I like the belted style as you can choose whether to havea fitted look or not.

Pinot Fri 05-Oct-12 17:25:19
minipie Fri 05-Oct-12 17:26:37

grin Pinot

ElsieMc Fri 05-Oct-12 18:09:45

I had a cape/poncho type thing last year. I loved it and t was much admired on the school run. It was from River Island.

Then I wore it to visit my mum in her nursing home on the dementia unit. Despite having no memory of anything said five minutes ago, my mum and assorted residents managed to mercilessly mock me for dressing like Clint Eastwood in an old western whilst asking what I was doing with "that fat man" (DH). A true leveller.

lurkingaround Fri 05-Oct-12 18:21:29

grin Elsie!!
I always think they look glamourous. But the what bag issue coupled with the feeling ridiculous in them, and now the fat cowgirl look.
That's a 'no' then!!grin

DontmindifIdo Fri 05-Oct-12 18:21:46

I quite like this one and it's in the sale, but I'm very short and I think it's too long to look good on me.

steben Fri 05-Oct-12 19:06:09

I love them but can buxom (ahem slightly porky) ladies wear them???

lurkingaround Fri 05-Oct-12 20:08:10

There can be a bit of a "District Nurse" look to them. Didn't the district nurse in Open All Hours (Ronnie Barker, David Jason, Lynda Baron) wear one?

Actually, I have my old nursing one in the loft if anyone wants it. Tis fetching .

TooMuchRain Fri 05-Oct-12 20:26:03

I quite like the casual DP ones, bit tempted...

lurkingaround Fri 05-Oct-12 20:29:37

We're they an official part of the uniform Toughas? They look a bit impractical, all the fabric flapping about.

lurkingaround Fri 05-Oct-12 20:30:26

Were not we're. Stupid autocorrect. Leave me alone will you.

For night duty, bless Guys hospital, still giving out capes in 1992.

lurkingaround Fri 05-Oct-12 20:52:18

Did you ever wear it?
1992!!! Who would have thunk in 1992, nurses wore capes. That was yesterday! (for some of us ahem mature-ish folk)

I wore it once when I was a very serious student nurse, then we used them for random table cloths or draught excluders. I feel a bit disrespectful now, it had the proper red crossover bands at the front and everything.
It was to keep us warm in the tunnels underneath guys at night when we were walking between wards.

babybarrister Fri 05-Oct-12 21:29:05

www.sesena.com/en/ Madrid cape shopsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now