When you and your 4 year-old don't agree

(85 Posts)
LaTrucha Thu 04-Oct-12 21:47:49

DD has just started school and wants to make sure she doesn't look 'babylish' (really, she's obiously picked it up and misheard it) and now we can't agree on anything clotheswise.

Things she has aske d me for lately are This little number

This

and leopard print

I want to sob. I know she feels anxious about the whole thing and I want to get something she likes but I can't resign myself to these (maybe the leopard?)or find anything we might agree on.

Any ideas what I could get her?

Growlithe Mon 08-Oct-12 16:56:49

Show her a picture of Bet Lynch - that'll learn her grin

LaTrucha Mon 08-Oct-12 13:08:13

She is really quite set on leopard print! I'm hoping to find something like a denim dress with a leopard trim on ebay to satisfy her. (there is one in Next but it's a very odd shape) Lord knows where that one came from.

charlottehere Mon 08-Oct-12 12:41:30

Like the first two, love the third. My DD3 age 3 has that but with long sleeves. Personally I would let her chooses from the clothes you buy/recive from presents etc and not start the whole shopping thing. My nearly 11 year old is anightmare, save yourself the hassle now.

I have noticed that I dress my dd (6) like a very large toddler. She is oblivious (doesn't care about looking babylish grin) she only wants comfy clothes and isn't willing to wear anything too structured so she ends up in knitted dresses/tights and tops/leggings.

I just cant bring myself to buy her black (it wouldn't suit her) and know why you are objecting to your dd's choices, but the head to toe bright colours are starting to make my dd look babylish (love that word!) now she's changed shape into a propper child (no toddler chubbyness) I'm struggling to find clothes which are colourful but with enough attitude for a 6yo.

but given the choice she would only wear pyjamas...... Sometimes as a parent you have to step in!

p.s. No to leopard print. just No.

GloriaTechnicolour Mon 08-Oct-12 10:32:07

Lovely, LaTrucha, good choice!

RobinSparkles Mon 08-Oct-12 07:31:53

Rusty, yep, she's still gorgeous envy. She's stunning!

LaTrucha the dress she picked is lovely! I'm glad you ended up with something that you both liked smile.

My DD looks fine in black but I tend to steer away from it because I don't. It makes me look washed out so I think I do it automatically. She's a completely different colouring to me so she looks great!

LaTrucha Sun 07-Oct-12 19:55:47

She is still beautiful! And she looks great in black.

Black just doesn't suit my daughter. I wasn't being prescriptive about children earing black.

She chose this in the end. Thought you might like to see. smile

RustyBear Sun 07-Oct-12 15:41:12

Yes, that's my DD - she's 22 now, and still beautiful (well, I think so, anyway!) - see my profile

RobinSparkles Sun 07-Oct-12 14:20:09

RustyBear, is that your DD? That little girl is beautiful.

needanswers Sat 06-Oct-12 08:48:06

Mind you I literally dragged my 2 year old out of TK MAxx the other day when we were trying to chose a coat, because she wanted a hideous pink shiney barbie coloured coat (it was the pink she doesnt know Barbie) and there is no way I was buying it!!!!!!

We still have no coat.

needanswers Sat 06-Oct-12 08:45:56

There is nothing wrong with them, and given she is asking for a party dress, and you are linking to woolly jumpers, I can see why you disagree.

RustyBear Sat 06-Oct-12 08:41:56

That link didn't work the way I thought it would!

Other images are here here and here

Preview this time!

RustyBear Sat 06-Oct-12 08:37:11

I always liked DD in black, even when she was quite small, though she usually wore it with another colour - but I don't think this, or any of the next three pictures here look dreary at all.

I think I was quite lucky with DD's clothes when she was little, because I got lots of them from nearly new sales at school and I regularly got stuff there which had previously been worn by an older girl that DD knew and adored, so if Natasha had worn it, even though it was two years ago, it was fine by her!

She had lots of phases - loved pink, hated pink, loved dresses, hated dresses etc and there were a few clashes as she grew up, but generally I let her have a fairly major say in what she wore, and she has turned into someone with a very definite sense of style - these days she tends to give me style advice, not the other way round!

GloriaTechnicolour Sat 06-Oct-12 08:13:07

Agree op, those dresses are hideous.

Zara1984 Sat 06-Oct-12 08:09:23

Sorry - have just seen you found a solution. Hurrah! smile

Zara1984 Sat 06-Oct-12 08:07:14

The first two dresses are cute! FGS I thought you were going to link to a tshirt with a pedo-encouraging slogan.

Pick your battles.... save you energy until she is 14 and wants to wear no coat and a lurid green skirt up to her crotch and glittery lipgloss!

I do not understand what is wrong with black on children. If they want to wear it, go for it. Your kids are not your cute little dollies to dress up hmm Maybe I'm just saying this as a NZer - lots of kids wear black back home! grin

OwedToAutumn Sat 06-Oct-12 07:54:59

babies

OwedToAutumn Sat 06-Oct-12 07:53:23

It does make me chuckle, that when our DC are baies, we are so proud of their tiny steps towards independence - holding a toy, using a spoon, crawling, walking.

But by about 4, we have gradually become horrified that this is a person separate to our selves, and we begrudge every attempt by them to show their own personality, or to otherwise be independent.

fedupofnamechanging Sat 06-Oct-12 07:39:30

My dd has a black and pink dress, similar to the first two links and she looks beautiful in it. I don't really see the problem with children wearing black - it's just another colour, after all.

The leopard print monstrosity, should be outlawed!

Funny how Next can make that hideous dress, but also make those lovely jumper dresses with the bows (in grey and pale pink, linked to up thread). No consistency.

Glad you found something you like, OP.

LaTrucha Sat 06-Oct-12 07:29:05

You could be right about the shape. I'll bear it in mind. I think I'm just flummoxed because I have been to buy with exactly what she likes in mind, not my taste, but I haven't got it yet. Then, like yesterday, we both simultaneusly go, 'Oh. That's nice' and there we are. The first thing she asked for this morning was her new top and leggings. At 6am. A success of sorts.

ElectricMonk Fri 05-Oct-12 23:32:48

(Oops, just realised that I still automatically add 2 years when choosing clothes because all of the children in my family have been unusually big for their ages... Sorry about that - it gives a vague idea anyway!)

ElectricMonk Fri 05-Oct-12 23:27:30

I'm sorry LaTrucha, I should have made it clear that my comment about attitudes wasn't aimed at you - more at a couple of posts in this thread and things I've heard more generally, suggesting that this shouldn't be an issue because the parents' preferences are the primary consideration. I completely agree with you BTW smile.

If she loves HK (and the tutu dresses) but not the tunic and leggings combo, I'm guessing that what she wants is more "grown up" but girly silhouettes to her clothes. Maybe something like one of the dresses below would be a good middle ground?

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_225020700505_-1?breadcrumb=Home~Kids~Girls+dresses

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Cotton-Navajo-Print-Leggings-Outfit/dp/B002ZZGYOY?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_16&nodeId=56937031&sr=1-16&qid=1349475674

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Autograph-Cotton-Frill-Ra-Ra-Dress/dp/B003FYOIBU?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_24&nodeId=56937031&sr=1-24&qid=1349475762

LaTrucha Fri 05-Oct-12 22:13:32

Obviously it also doesn't mean she gets everything she chooses but what she does get she has chosen.

LaTrucha Fri 05-Oct-12 22:12:33

Electic Monk - That is exactly where I come from too. I don't think anything I 've said suggests otherwise. She chooses everything she wears and I think thats the way it should be. Just hate those dresses.

And she bloody LOVES Hello Kitty, I tell you.

RillaBlythe Fri 05-Oct-12 21:44:37

My 4 yo DD has this thing about dresses that reach the floor, so insists on wearing a lurid floral print with padded shoulders that my MIL had for my SIL in the 80s & passed on to her - it's for a 12 year old or something & she looks RIDICULOUS but considers it her party dress.

As a general rule though, she does choose her clothes. I do a bit of editing, & I make unilateral decisions about some things, but I want clothes to be something we share as a mother-daughter thing...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now