When you and your 4 year-old don't agree

(85 Posts)
LaTrucha Thu 04-Oct-12 21:47:49

DD has just started school and wants to make sure she doesn't look 'babylish' (really, she's obiously picked it up and misheard it) and now we can't agree on anything clotheswise.

Things she has aske d me for lately are This little number

This

and leopard print

I want to sob. I know she feels anxious about the whole thing and I want to get something she likes but I can't resign myself to these (maybe the leopard?)or find anything we might agree on.

Any ideas what I could get her?

needanswers Sat 06-Oct-12 08:48:06

Mind you I literally dragged my 2 year old out of TK MAxx the other day when we were trying to chose a coat, because she wanted a hideous pink shiney barbie coloured coat (it was the pink she doesnt know Barbie) and there is no way I was buying it!!!!!!

We still have no coat.

RobinSparkles Sun 07-Oct-12 14:20:09

RustyBear, is that your DD? That little girl is beautiful.

RustyBear Sun 07-Oct-12 15:41:12

Yes, that's my DD - she's 22 now, and still beautiful (well, I think so, anyway!) - see my profile

LaTrucha Sun 07-Oct-12 19:55:47

She is still beautiful! And she looks great in black.

Black just doesn't suit my daughter. I wasn't being prescriptive about children earing black.

She chose this in the end. Thought you might like to see. smile

RobinSparkles Mon 08-Oct-12 07:31:53

Rusty, yep, she's still gorgeous envy. She's stunning!

LaTrucha the dress she picked is lovely! I'm glad you ended up with something that you both liked smile.

My DD looks fine in black but I tend to steer away from it because I don't. It makes me look washed out so I think I do it automatically. She's a completely different colouring to me so she looks great!

GloriaTechnicolour Mon 08-Oct-12 10:32:07

Lovely, LaTrucha, good choice!

I have noticed that I dress my dd (6) like a very large toddler. She is oblivious (doesn't care about looking babylish grin) she only wants comfy clothes and isn't willing to wear anything too structured so she ends up in knitted dresses/tights and tops/leggings.

I just cant bring myself to buy her black (it wouldn't suit her) and know why you are objecting to your dd's choices, but the head to toe bright colours are starting to make my dd look babylish (love that word!) now she's changed shape into a propper child (no toddler chubbyness) I'm struggling to find clothes which are colourful but with enough attitude for a 6yo.

but given the choice she would only wear pyjamas...... Sometimes as a parent you have to step in!

p.s. No to leopard print. just No.

charlottehere Mon 08-Oct-12 12:41:30

Like the first two, love the third. My DD3 age 3 has that but with long sleeves. Personally I would let her chooses from the clothes you buy/recive from presents etc and not start the whole shopping thing. My nearly 11 year old is anightmare, save yourself the hassle now.

LaTrucha Mon 08-Oct-12 13:08:13

She is really quite set on leopard print! I'm hoping to find something like a denim dress with a leopard trim on ebay to satisfy her. (there is one in Next but it's a very odd shape) Lord knows where that one came from.

Growlithe Mon 08-Oct-12 16:56:49

Show her a picture of Bet Lynch - that'll learn her grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now