When you and your 4 year-old don't agree

(85 Posts)
LaTrucha Thu 04-Oct-12 21:47:49

DD has just started school and wants to make sure she doesn't look 'babylish' (really, she's obiously picked it up and misheard it) and now we can't agree on anything clotheswise.

Things she has aske d me for lately are This little number

This

and leopard print

I want to sob. I know she feels anxious about the whole thing and I want to get something she likes but I can't resign myself to these (maybe the leopard?)or find anything we might agree on.

Any ideas what I could get her?

RobinSparkles United States Thu 04-Oct-12 21:55:39

I don't mind the first two

The third link just takes me to the home page

I feel your frustration though. I have a 5 year old who now has her own opinion of what she likes.

It s. s I my g easier to d see s s my tod. Doer D Dd2. Be aus e s he d. Leant. Are smile

RobinSparkles United States Thu 04-Oct-12 21:57:27

Aargh! My iPhone keyboard went crazy! That is supposed to say:

It's so much easier to dress my toddler DD2 because she doesn't care!

Stupid phone hmm

LaTrucha Thu 04-Oct-12 21:58:38

she needs a new special outfit and I really want her to be happy. i bought her this whole Hello Kitty outfit I thought she was going to adore and she just looked horrified.

Dont really see the problem with the first two??

I dont like the leopard. But I dont like any animal print at all so maybe thats just my taste.

LaTrucha Thu 04-Oct-12 22:00:14
OohMrDarcy Thu 04-Oct-12 22:01:54

The first two are nice, with thickish tights

third I don't like personally

It does get tricky though, DD is 5 (yr1) and is getting very picky about what she likes and doesn't like!

DefiniteMaybe Thu 04-Oct-12 22:02:15

The first two are nice, the third is horrendous. Surely with tights they'd be fine. Can't see a problem. It could be worse my ds has decided that when not in school uniform he wants to year pajamas and dressing gown.

LaTrucha Thu 04-Oct-12 22:03:01

Really? Don't mind them... Hmm . Maybe I disagree with everyone then. Which doesn't make the problem any easier for me.

Maybe I don't like them because they're black.

PinkChampagneandStrawberries Thu 04-Oct-12 22:03:21

I can only get the first two links to work but honestly I think they are fine.

LaTrucha Thu 04-Oct-12 22:05:22

It is just me them. I do think they're horrid though.

Nagoo Thu 04-Oct-12 22:05:52

Link to what you want her to wear? TBH a Hello Kitty outfit does sound fairly horrendous.

I am slightly concerned, as the work PC has declared your links to be unsavoury grin so i shall give your DD the benefit of the doubt.

pookamoo Thu 04-Oct-12 22:06:30

What would you prefer her to wear?

(I agree with you, btw, but DD1 has been making wardrobe decisions since she was about 15 months old so... only from the things I buy for her, though!)

LaTrucha Thu 04-Oct-12 22:07:52

It's not on the website. It was leggings and a tunic with Hello kitty with a sequin bow. You know the sort of thing. T'was nice.

I think the things I would think she looked adorable in would be definitely babylish.

LaTrucha Thu 04-Oct-12 22:10:19

I can't really find anything I like TBH.

I thought this might be a good compromise.

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Thu 04-Oct-12 22:10:31

Are you for real? hmm those dresses are fine with leggings. Bit tacky sure...but she's 4. They like tat. Just find her some nice things with ruffles....then she'll be happy.

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Thu 04-Oct-12 22:11:36

What's "baby-lish"? Do you mean Babyish?

And as far as I am concerned, a 4 year old should wear what it is comfy in. end of.

LaTrucha Thu 04-Oct-12 22:12:32

It's her mishearing of babyish.

Yes. I really don't like those dresses.

first two are sweet, really dislike the third tbh.
Ds started reception this year too and I was warned he would change and not like his pre school favourites. He is getting more into George Pig every day grin

PatriciaHolm Thu 04-Oct-12 22:13:41

I thought you were going to link to something with a teenage slogan or a bikini with g-string!!

I can't see the issue with the top 2. The leopard is ick though.

I think 4 is probably the start of them noticing clothes because they are at school and going on play dates etc.

Maybe time to accept that shes grown out of hello kitty and the like. But try to find a happy medium between your taste and hers. That will be hard.

My DD turns 4 in Feb. <sobs>

Fairylea Thu 04-Oct-12 22:17:06

I expected to see a puffball fairy dress with wings and Wellington boots. (I kid you not this was what dd now aged 9 wanted to wear when she was 4 so I just let her go with it).

Honestly those dresses are fine smile

It all starts here. Before you know it she'll be 9 and refusing to be seen dead in a school coat from next because it's black and black is soooooo boring. And old apparently.

LaTrucha Thu 04-Oct-12 22:17:29

She bloody loves hello kitty! That's what I can't understand about that outfit. I just took it back though.

Asmywhimsytakesme Thu 04-Oct-12 22:19:59

I feel your pain op. would hate my dd to wear those.

LaTrucha Thu 04-Oct-12 22:20:11

I tell you, the kid can't carry off black. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now