Can anyone help find a dress for a black tie dinner.

(11 Posts)

I need a dress for a black tie dinner in November.

But I don't do dresses/shoes/bags.

I'm 5ft 1 size 16. Olive skinned and reddy/brown hair. I definately can't wear greens/orange tones, they make me look ill.

TIA.

Oh I don't wear high heals either.

Lovewearingjeans Fri 05-Oct-12 08:41:12

Could you be cheeky and do a fab trouser suit, as seen in all the magazines, you could wear with brogues maybe. Or get a simple wrap or mock wrap dress and wear with knee length flat boots, a clutch and a fab necklace?

SewCrafty Fri 05-Oct-12 09:24:51

What shapes suit you, what bits do you want to show off and hide? What colours do suit you? Budget? House of Fraser have lots of evening dresses, I bought my fav from there in a sale a while ago. Or Monsoon? Phase Eight. You just need to go and try I'm afraid. Sorry probably not what you wanted to hear.

Numberlock Fri 05-Oct-12 09:28:09

How about a session with a style consultant at John Lewis? It's free of charge, no pressure to buy and she will help you find something for this specific event that you like. John Lewis has lots of different labels so you can try all sorts of things.

I thoroughly recommend this service.

I love the idea of a trouser suit too and I love my brogues (from Clarks).

Thanks

I would be happy/comfy in this top and trousers.

Brandnewbrighttomorrow Fri 05-Oct-12 12:31:22

What's your body shape and budget? What style clothes do you usually wear?

Numberlock Fri 05-Oct-12 12:36:42

I like that top and trousers. What about the black velvet jacket to go with it?

Curtsey Fri 05-Oct-12 12:40:07

Not sure about that top for black tie. I think a trouser suit could look lovely, but it might be hard to pull off in this context.

I wonder could you go for something like this? Only size 14 left in the black (I don't like the red, personally) but depending on the sizing it could fit, or they could order the 16 in for you. It looks like it would be easy to wear?

Budget not really an issue. Only as in I don't want to spend £££'s as I probably won't wear again, and am also on a diet (have lost 22lb's) but have a way to go. Am now 16/18 but would like to be 10/12.

As for body shape I am an 'apple' with short legs.

I normally wear Jeans/t shirts or leggins and tunic's with ballerina shoes/trainers.

Murraylover Fri 05-Oct-12 22:38:24

Monsoons Hero dress is v.black tie event. And they have a black lace layer dress with short lacy sleeves. Hero is a-line, lace/mix dress v.flattering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now