Please give me the confidence to either start wearing or get rid of these boots!

(42 Posts)

A few years ago (in the late 90s) when I was an impoverished student I fell in love with these boots (uploaded to my profile). I couldn't afford them, but the lovely shoe shop owner let me pay in installments. But once I had them, I didn't really know what to wear them with other than boot cut jeans, which kind of defeated the object of them being calf-length boots.

Now, I've carted them from house-to-house and have never been able to part with them even though I've not worn them in years. I'm having another clear out now. Please can you either:

a) Tell me they are hideous, I shouldn't be so sentimental and I should take them to the nearest charity shop asap.

b) Give me some pointers as to what I can wear them with to bring them up-to-date. (Jeans, even skinny jeans, won't tuck into the boot as they are rather close-fitting - tights/leggings would probably be OK.

Thank you!

SpicyPear Tue 02-Oct-12 18:57:50

Okay, I'm going to disagree with other posters and be a bit harsh about it. Sorry.

Get rid. They are dated, but more than that, if you haven't ever worn them regularly you are never going to feel comfortable in them. It's absolute madness to construct a new outfit around a dubious 15 year old pair of baby blue boots.

If you want to look at all up-to-date, do not under any circumstances pair them with a denim mini! Just... no.

Dollydowser Tue 02-Oct-12 19:15:50

I like them. Definitely don't dye them black, the colour is nice as it is, and dyed suede goes hard, not nice.

Dolallytats Tue 02-Oct-12 19:21:26

Don't dye them, they're lovely!! Wear them with thick black tights and a skirt or dress.

I loooove them. What size are they? You can send them here if you're over them. I'd go with black tights or skinny jeans and any top really. If they don't fit into skinnies try ankle length jeans or these trousers.

Sorry, that link was meant to go to the gray & blue check trousers, not the green ones.

PeggyGuggenheim Tue 02-Oct-12 20:43:36

I once had a similar dilemma with a pair of boots, they were brown and I dyed them black to make them more "wearable" and the dye made the boots smell LIKE CATS WEE. Forever. I still kept them for a few years and even sometimes wore them because I just loved them so much, but they made my eyes water. Please don't dye.

GreenEyesAndHam Tue 02-Oct-12 20:52:41

I like them, and I had a pair very like them though in a camel colour. But no two ways about it, they are dated.

So I'm going to say, unless you're happy to keep them just to look at and get all nostalgic every now and then, you should lose them.

Even if you do pull an outfit together to wear them with, if you don't feel 90% confident in them, you won't get you're money's worth out of them, so sell them on and get a little something back for them.

GreenEyesAndHam Tue 02-Oct-12 20:53:28

Too many thems. Bah

i wouldn't dye them, i like the colour. they look like they make a statement, whereas in brown or black they'd just look boring and a bit dated.

if they are comfy good quality boots then at worst you can just wear them under trousers

cerealqueen Tue 02-Oct-12 23:22:35

Like them, chunky knit, short denim skirt, cable knit tights, sorted.

Don't dye them, the colour makes them.

I like them. I'd wear with thick tights, possibly cable-knitty ones, and a mini or shortish dress. Keep everything dark/muted and they'll look good.

The high street is packed full of 90's stuff at the minute, so you'll be very on trend.

DolomitesDonkey Wed 03-Oct-12 07:52:02

I like them, I'd wear them with jeans or a denim mini.

I hate black shoes, they're for "mumsy" types and funerals.

Dollydowser Wed 03-Oct-12 11:17:47

I agree DolomitesDonkey, black shoes are like black trousers, supposedly go with anything yet go with nothing.

comeonpilgrim Wed 03-Oct-12 15:59:56

I'd keep them that colour and go for a loose-ish sweater dress in grey or navy. Tights or leggings in similar shades (think i'd avoid black, but it might be OK) and you're good to go.
mango
topshop

cocolepew Wed 03-Oct-12 16:09:10

I like them.

ThatBintAgain Wed 03-Oct-12 16:15:22

Don't dye 'em. Maybe keep them in the loft for 90's revival parties? (I wish someone I knew would have one of these!)

I think they are great. I don't get how they are difficult to wear thogh. Wear them with jeans, or skirts, dresses whatever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now