Please help me choose between 2 down filled coats!

(80 Posts)

Ok, I have to have one of these, but there's a fairly steep price gap between the two, so it's pulling my head apart.

Here is the first, the expensive one:

www.zalando.co.uk/tommy-hilfiger-greenwich-down-coat-blue-to121h00a-503.html

Can also see it modeled at the Hilfiger site in a diff colour here:

uk.tommy.com/Maine/1M87616096,en_GB,pd.html&cgid=101000#!color%3D939_CHOCOLATE_TORTE%26i%3D2

I Love the length (perfect for me) and the style, looks so warm and durable.

And here is the less expensive one, a tad but shorter (or is the model just super tall??) and not as 'shaped' as the first coat...but lovely hood and looks fairly durable:

www.asos.com/Wrangler/Wrangler-Padded-Parka-With-Faux-Fur-Trimmed-Hood/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2444674&cid=2623&Rf900=1459,3717&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Navy

It's killing me, what would you do?
I would intend this to last a long time, so a bit of an investment.

I'm glad the fit is good, and also to hear that it is warm! I hadn't actually thought about water resistance...showerproof will probably do for me, I think. I am most concerned with the hood 'staying up' in a gale force deluge, keeping my hair dry, really. My ears ache so much even in cold winds.

Am currently considering the Boden Stockholm (love the toggles at the hood, vital details!) or the Hilfiger. Stuck now between the two!

flowery Sat 29-Sep-12 14:07:42

Ok my Boden one has arrived this morning and I'm disappointed. It's not nearly as thick as I expected, feels barely padded at all.

Is the Aigle one nice and thick? Not sure whether my expectations are too high..

cornzy Sat 29-Sep-12 14:13:59

that aigle one is gorgeous but just a tad too expensive
I'm getting this which is lovely and warm but has no hood. Used a 25% code to get it from whistles.
Now wishing I had the aigle one though....

orangina Sat 29-Sep-12 14:30:29

I have something loveoy from North Face which I bought a few years ago and have been wearing solidly ever since. No hood though.

LOVE the AIgle one though (can't possibly justify a second down coat, but I wish I could....!)

newpup Sat 29-Sep-12 15:17:42

I have the North Face Arctic Parka in Chocolate and it is fantastic! Just waiting for the cold weather to wear it. smile

Toasted, the hood on the tommy one should stay up as it has the fur round the hood it tend sto make it heavy and likely to stay on. Plus it zips up if I remember to your chin which makes it even harder for the hood to fall down.

Babyrabbits Sat 29-Sep-12 16:57:13

I have a marmot duck and down, in its 6th year and still great!
I jut bought a merrell haven from tk max for £59 and its very very warm! I think that its a much smarter coat than a duck and down.

flowery Thanks for sharing that, such a shame though.

I feel that the Cuckmere would be too long for me, and is just a bit too expensive considering my budget. I am now sliding towards the Hilfiger even more.

Imlostwithoutahope I see what you mean!

flowery Sat 29-Sep-12 17:58:03

I've changed my mind about the Boden after trying it on. It is really warm actually, and I like the colour as well, so I'm keeping it. smile

Flowery, how does it fit, sizing wise? Is the hood secure and fluffy? Also wondering if the sleeves are roomy (I'm scared of roomy sleeves!)

flowery Sat 29-Sep-12 18:19:44

Fit is good. I'm a size 10 and it fits with room for a big jumper. Sleeves are not too roomy. Hood is secure, yes, and fluffy round the edge.

DilysPrice Sat 29-Sep-12 18:37:28

For that money you could find a North Face Arctic or Brooklyn if you shop around a bit (20% off sales are reasonably frequent) and you would be warm, toasty and dry all winter.

<strokes North Face Arctic lovingly>

But do try and find a place you can try stuff on because it's all about the fit. Is there an outlet mall anywhere near you? They're often good for this sort of thing, and if you actually decide you like something from eg Trespass, you'd be quids in.

Thanks flowery!

DilysPrice, my nearest city is Manchester, so not sure. Will have a google around.

The North Face Arctic is in my fave list - would love to find out sizing info.

DilysPrice Sat 29-Sep-12 20:35:39

I'm 5'4" and my NF Brooklyn (I think it's a Brooklyn - it has a clip belt so not an Arctic actually now I come to look at it) comes to mid thigh - pretty much perfect minimum arse-covering length. I wear a size 10/12 and a NF small is snug on me, so I guess you'd want an Extra Small.

tugamommy Sat 29-Sep-12 20:55:24

What about Zara? I got one there last year on the sale that was ridiculously cheap, 30 pounds I think, and it looks just like the ones in the op. It's really warm as well and has a good hood that stays on.

tugamommy Sat 29-Sep-12 20:59:19

Just to add that mine looks just like the Belmont - that's the one I really wanted but in the end decided it was too expensive.

There's a black one at Zara that I would buy in a heartbeat if it was...navy!

Have a look if you have those out of town discount centres near you. The one by us has tresspass, mountain warehouse, Tommy Hilfiger etc , they're good places to look for cheaper coats.

ivykaty44 Sun 30-Sep-12 11:27:17
lurkingaround Sun 30-Sep-12 14:16:32

I got one from Zara 2 years ago, not at all warm, so if you're looking for heat, look elsewhere. So I had to buy another one last year, bought one from Mexx and it is toasty. Like a duvet.

topsi Sun 30-Sep-12 15:18:04

OMG just tried the Tommy coat on it is georgous!! Looks better on than in the picture!

I've discovered an issue with the Tommy coat.....the one I was looking to buy was via Zalando, because I wanted navy instead of brown (only brown at other sites).
Discovered the Zalando version is called 'Greenwich', although it looks identical to the 'Maine' down.

Can anyone decipher this? I'm really confused.
Here is the link to the Zalando coat, am I mad or is it actually the 'Maine' under another name..?

www.zalando.co.uk/tommy-hilfiger-greenwich-down-coat-blue-to121h00a-503.html

ivykaty44 I love this, but so upset there's no navy!

lurkingaround those look seriously toasty, and thanks for the Zara tip.

ivykaty44 Sun 30-Sep-12 16:16:16

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now