Been done to death I know but... boots for the VERY chunky of leg?

(60 Posts)
CarpeJugulum Tue 25-Sep-12 08:34:25

I'm 5ft, and I have what can politely be described as "rugby player" legs. They're not flabby, but they are large in proportion to my height. I also have cankles.

I've tried on boots in Clarks, M&S etc marked "wider fitting" and they don't even get near getting round my calf or my ankle, or depressingly, both! sad

In an attempt to elaborate (and publically humiliate myself!) I have measured my calf and my ankle (at the bony bit) is 9"/23cm and the widest bit of my calf is 15"/38cm shock

So tell me, where do I get nice knee-high leather boots (mid calf make me look really dumpy due to my height) without major studdage/fancy bits and a sensible heel, something like these.

Please?

Dollydowser Mon 08-Oct-12 19:28:02

Thank goodness for that. I love a happy ending grin

CarpeJugulum Mon 08-Oct-12 18:06:22

They arrived.

They fit!!! (a bit baggy round the ankle, but nothing a thick pair of socks won't fix, which is a good thing anyway!)

I love DUO!!!! (and will be avidly browsing the sales!)

showtunesgirl Thu 04-Oct-12 18:10:56

I have "chicken drumstick" legs. Small calves - 18.5cm, big calves - 38cm!

Mine are bigger too

I have freakishly large calf muscles

CondoleezzaRiceKrispies Thu 04-Oct-12 16:48:46

Fat calved people will reasonably slim ankles, in particular.

HotSlate Thu 04-Oct-12 16:41:59

Hope the new boots fit OP!

I am fat of calf - know what you mean about ankle boots looking like trotters Condoleezza grin

As an aside (in the hope that boot sellers may read this):

It would be bloody helpful if website retailers gave calf measurements - even approximate would be helpful - to save me lusting after styles which won't go near me.

Where boots are concerned, ankle and calf measurements are every bit as important as shoe size.

And it would save them having to process returns from all the disappointed fat-calved people.

CarpeJugulum Thu 04-Oct-12 16:28:15

I console myself with the thought that I have the ability to kick harder than anyone I know. It's a kudos giving thing at local fairs when there is a "Beat the Goalie" stall - I always win grin

50smellsofshite Thu 04-Oct-12 16:19:51

Mine are 480mm so there! I'm the winner...of a very sad competition grin
I'm 5'9" and size 18 and have massive calves - bloody maternal genes that my sister seems to have escaped - the bitch.

Is there a ginormous-legged lady first prize?

CondoleezzaRiceKrispies Thu 04-Oct-12 16:14:57

<eyes Carole's calves suspiciously, Spaghetti Western style>

I find Evans boots are too broad in the ankle, so look a bit baggy.

CarpeJugulum Thu 04-Oct-12 16:13:36

Got a friend in to help me re-measure and mine are 42.5 (so have gone for a 42).

I blame my tape measure wink

CaroleService Thu 04-Oct-12 15:51:08

Defy away. Mine are bigger.

CondoleezzaRiceKrispies Thu 04-Oct-12 15:30:11

38cm?! Pah, mine are 43! I defy anyone on MN to have bigger legs than me. Ankle boots make me look like I have trotters. grin

Dollydowser Thu 04-Oct-12 15:23:36

Well done showtunesgirl, great find, and a bargain to boot!

showtunesgirl Thu 04-Oct-12 14:56:52

Woo hoo! I just got in the post today an ebay purchase. Brand new Duo Boots for £20. Perfect fit. grin

mirry2 Thu 04-Oct-12 14:11:40

Evans

Pastabee Thu 04-Oct-12 14:08:51

Ooo. Feet crossed for you. They are very good customer service wise. I do think you should expect them to be a tight fit when they arrive though as the leather is very soft and will give. I always wear mine around the house for a few days as the 'mould' to my leg shape.

CarpeJugulum Thu 04-Oct-12 13:35:52

Update:

I have returned the boots. I emailed Duo, gave them my measurements and got a lovely email back from them with options - so I've ordered a pair that they recommend.

Will update again when I find out if they fit!

I have a pair of duo boots I have been wearing for 7 years - 7 years! I tell ya, that will be ££££ well spent vs making a £60 pair last two years If you can get the cash together, they are sooo worth it!

dexter73 Thu 27-Sep-12 20:48:45

Sorry to hear they didn't fit. It will be worth it when you get the right size!wine

Shoshe Thu 27-Sep-12 20:22:59

I have a 17inch calf and these fitted perfectly

Dollydowser Thu 27-Sep-12 20:03:50

Thats such a shame. I think all of my boots I have ordered the size below my actual calf measurement, but I did try them on in the shop first. Give their customer services a ring to see what their advice would be for that pair.
At least you liked the boot, hopefully the next pair will be a perfect fit smile

piprabbit Thu 27-Sep-12 19:57:07

Honestly - try Evans.

CarpeJugulum Thu 27-Sep-12 19:52:45

<stomps grumpily onto thread>

Nope. Not even close. I've measured the boot and it doesn't even appear to match the measurement I asked for. 36cm round the boot, I ordered 38cm and (with a different tape measure!) I appear to need a 40cm.

Going back tomorrow/Saturday.

Not very impressed (although the boot is lovely!) and will be emailing their customer services accordingly. sad angry

Pastabee Thu 27-Sep-12 18:47:25

Is he back? <directs clear run through vibes to Carpe's DH>

Dollydowser Thu 27-Sep-12 16:23:01

Hurray! Oh no! Best dig out nicest skirt/dress and tights ready for try on session. May this be the first pair of many... smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now