Been done to death I know but... boots for the VERY chunky of leg?

(60 Posts)
CarpeJugulum Tue 25-Sep-12 08:34:25

I'm 5ft, and I have what can politely be described as "rugby player" legs. They're not flabby, but they are large in proportion to my height. I also have cankles.

I've tried on boots in Clarks, M&S etc marked "wider fitting" and they don't even get near getting round my calf or my ankle, or depressingly, both! sad

In an attempt to elaborate (and publically humiliate myself!) I have measured my calf and my ankle (at the bony bit) is 9"/23cm and the widest bit of my calf is 15"/38cm shock

So tell me, where do I get nice knee-high leather boots (mid calf make me look really dumpy due to my height) without major studdage/fancy bits and a sensible heel, something like these.

Please?

daisydoodoo Wed 26-Sep-12 13:12:49

pastabee, i started off with slimming world, but now use the gym and the trainer, ive lost 8stone 10lb i dont weigh that blush i weigh 9stone 7 now. id lost about a stone and half before joining slimming world but didnt keep a real rack and kept going off plan and eating too much chinese food.
I still have a real weakness for chinese food but know that I can;t eat it other than perhaps once a year as i will slip again. other junk food i can take it or leave it, but put a chinese banquet in front of me and i can't help myself.

Chewbecca Wed 26-Sep-12 13:20:53

Have you looked at the Gabor range? They have lots with adjustable fittings which fit my nearly 50cm (sad) calves. They do have some dodgy styles but nice ones mingled in and I always find gabor shoes /boots to be v comfy with lovely soft leather.
I rather like thesebut they don't have the heel you're looking for but I think others do. Easy to order and return to JL too....

showtunesgirl Wed 26-Sep-12 13:21:46

daisydoodoo, you can still have Chinese food, you just need to cook it more healthily. Most Cantonese cuisine is steamed and uses minimal oil even when it is fried.

showtunesgirl Wed 26-Sep-12 13:22:21

And I'd still love to be 9 stone 7! smile

daisydoodoo Wed 26-Sep-12 13:36:05

show- i know i can have chinese but it starts of cravings for me. And the healthier chinese food doesn't do it for me like the sweet and sour, peking etc does. I doubt i i could eat it in the quantities that i used to but still want to maintain a healthy weight for a bit longer before i let myself indugle a little. With a bit of luck it might be like chocolate and I can;t eat that now as has adverse effects shock

showtunesgirl Wed 26-Sep-12 14:06:42

Ah, well I never eat those things so I guess I'm ok. I'm waiting to stop BF before I really go to town on a proper diet.

filetheflightoffancy Wed 26-Sep-12 16:32:31

Oh gosh, I just measured my calves and they are 41cm, I am shock am a size 10-12, but am only 5ft2 so not actually all that slim.

I tend to try and get boots that are adjustable rather than zippy up. I had a pair from dorothy perkins that had an adjustable buckly thing at the back so could just have them quite wide, and last year I got a pair from next that have laces at the back at the top of the boots, you can wear them with the laces very loose.

I think I could be a size 4 and still have massive legs sad

CarpeJugulum Wed 26-Sep-12 19:20:25

Depressing isn't it sad

Trouble is, a lot of the adjustable boots are designed for the taller folk, so I end up with boots that hit my kneecap.

I've just had an email and the boots are dispatched - but up to 3 days delivery time, so (as they're being delivered to DH's work as I'm out and about with DS) I probably won't get them until Monday. sad

I'm being wildly irrational and pinning all my hopes on these fitting. It's never going to end well! hmm confused

cloutiedumpling Wed 26-Sep-12 19:34:44

The wide fit Kays boots that Clarks sell seem to be wider in the calf than their own brand. I buy Clarks wide fit boots on the internet as my local shops don't stock wide fit shoes and boots and have found more than once that the Kays boots are wider than Clarks own brand ones. Some of the styles are a little old ladyish but every so often they do have some nice plain ones.

CarpeJugulum Thu 27-Sep-12 16:00:20

SQUEEEEEEE

They've been delivered to DH. They're in the boot of his car.

But he's not home for another 2 hours!

Dollydowser Thu 27-Sep-12 16:23:01

Hurray! Oh no! Best dig out nicest skirt/dress and tights ready for try on session. May this be the first pair of many... smile

Pastabee Thu 27-Sep-12 18:47:25

Is he back? <directs clear run through vibes to Carpe's DH>

CarpeJugulum Thu 27-Sep-12 19:52:45

<stomps grumpily onto thread>

Nope. Not even close. I've measured the boot and it doesn't even appear to match the measurement I asked for. 36cm round the boot, I ordered 38cm and (with a different tape measure!) I appear to need a 40cm.

Going back tomorrow/Saturday.

Not very impressed (although the boot is lovely!) and will be emailing their customer services accordingly. sad angry

piprabbit Thu 27-Sep-12 19:57:07

Honestly - try Evans.

Dollydowser Thu 27-Sep-12 20:03:50

Thats such a shame. I think all of my boots I have ordered the size below my actual calf measurement, but I did try them on in the shop first. Give their customer services a ring to see what their advice would be for that pair.
At least you liked the boot, hopefully the next pair will be a perfect fit smile

Shoshe Thu 27-Sep-12 20:22:59

I have a 17inch calf and these fitted perfectly

dexter73 Thu 27-Sep-12 20:48:45

Sorry to hear they didn't fit. It will be worth it when you get the right size!wine

I have a pair of duo boots I have been wearing for 7 years - 7 years! I tell ya, that will be ££££ well spent vs making a £60 pair last two years If you can get the cash together, they are sooo worth it!

CarpeJugulum Thu 04-Oct-12 13:35:52

Update:

I have returned the boots. I emailed Duo, gave them my measurements and got a lovely email back from them with options - so I've ordered a pair that they recommend.

Will update again when I find out if they fit!

Pastabee Thu 04-Oct-12 14:08:51

Ooo. Feet crossed for you. They are very good customer service wise. I do think you should expect them to be a tight fit when they arrive though as the leather is very soft and will give. I always wear mine around the house for a few days as the 'mould' to my leg shape.

mirry2 Thu 04-Oct-12 14:11:40

Evans

showtunesgirl Thu 04-Oct-12 14:56:52

Woo hoo! I just got in the post today an ebay purchase. Brand new Duo Boots for £20. Perfect fit. grin

Dollydowser Thu 04-Oct-12 15:23:36

Well done showtunesgirl, great find, and a bargain to boot!

CondoleezzaRiceKrispies Thu 04-Oct-12 15:30:11

38cm?! Pah, mine are 43! I defy anyone on MN to have bigger legs than me. Ankle boots make me look like I have trotters. grin

CaroleService Thu 04-Oct-12 15:51:08

Defy away. Mine are bigger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now