Ok, where is the brilliant 'Warm and waterproof coat' thread from last year? I need another one.

(512 Posts)
CuttedUpPear Sun 23-Sep-12 20:46:11

I bought an amazing coat by Didriksons last year on the advice of a MNetter here who worked in the industry. She gave the BEST advice but I can't find the thread now. Basically she explained how warm AND waterproof is a hard combination to come by because we're the only country with such a wet and cold climate and no one designs for us. Nice.

I bought the coat for DS but ended up wearing it myself, now I need to buy him one of his own before he gets soaked to the skin!

JamInMyWellies Tue 25-Sep-12 22:38:57

I can safely say the Didrikson is vvv waterproof. Kept me toasty and dry during a wet wk in Scotland. And during the late spring floods I was the driest thing for miles around.

CuttedUpPear Tue 25-Sep-12 22:52:45

I bought the Didrikson's boys age 15 coat for DS but kept it for me and it has kept me dry all summer. Sad to be able to say that!

BrennieGirl Wed 26-Sep-12 00:26:53

Thanks Mewsical.

issimma Wed 26-Sep-12 09:28:09

Has anyone found the Insulated Merrell Wakefield at a bargainous price?

accessorieshelp Wed 26-Sep-12 11:09:50

can I join - one year on and I'm STILL looking for 'the' coat. Fed up because got another soaking this morning!

really really want the didrikson Taylor in navy but can't get it in the UK taylor. Would consider the Rebecca in Navy but can't find that either.

What do you think of the Craghoppers Ikoku Herringbone?
ikoku good price, only thing puts me off is the fur, I have a thing about cheap looking fur hmm

Kopparbergkate Wed 26-Sep-12 12:01:08

Really like the Merrell wakefield and the Merrell with the duffle buttons BUT I'm up-duffed. So what I actually need is coat that's waterproof and warm like a Merrell wakefield BUT will accommodate bump.

I have drawn a complete blank so far; none of the maternity coats Ive found are actually waterproof :-(

Koppar would any of these work? Presumably you will be able to sell whatever you buy on ebay afterwards and get some of the money back. Not sure if they are waterproof (I wore a huge waterproof with a big fleece when I was pg)

Kopparbergkate Wed 26-Sep-12 12:30:13

thanks both - does anyone know if any of the Yummy Mummy coats or the Jo Jo coat are waterproof (or even shower proof) though? All the descriptions of the ones I like say they are warm, which is great, but don't mention whether they will keep me dry :-(

ouryve Wed 26-Sep-12 12:37:44

The berghaus jacket I got for a MN product test is both warm and waterproof. And still looks as good as new 2 winters on.

MTBMummy Wed 26-Sep-12 12:53:27

I found a great one at Decathalon last year - part of their Quechua range, lovely waterproof, nice and warm too - was quite cheap too

Check out their website to see what their current stock is like

MousyMouse Wed 26-Sep-12 13:18:13

if you look at outdoor places in the hiking section (decathlon for example) there are plenty warm and waterproof coats.

MousyMouse Wed 26-Sep-12 13:19:43

oops mtb just came on to say the same thing wink

twinky Wed 26-Sep-12 13:21:08

I got the Merrell Wakefield on the advice of mumsnetters 2 years ago. It's the insulated one and is fab for walking the kids to school here in freezing Scotland. It's genuinely waterproof and very warm. Good quality and still in perfect nick today. I am trying to justify the cost of some Merrell boots now. I got my coat on Amazon for about £65 - I think they sell off the previous years style cheap so keep your eyes peeled.

For people asking about the Haven, I have it and love it. But it is uber warm. Definitely a winter coat.

I ended up getting the uninsulated Wakefield too this July hmm which is fantastically waterproof etc.

[Mumsnet Sheep]

Oooh, I like the look of the Ikoku that Accessories linked to. Anyone got one? Or seen one in real life?

Arithmeticulous Wed 26-Sep-12 13:35:14

I got the Craghoppers Haddenbury following the last thread. £60 here - it's not hard core warm (but keeps the warm in once you've warmed up IYSWIM), but is waterproof and with a fold away hood.

LarkinSky Wed 26-Sep-12 13:52:32

I bought the North Face Arctic Parka last year, based on recommendations on the 2011 version of this thread. I'd wanted that coat for several years and hadn't bought it because it costs £££.

So last winter I finally got it (cheaper, in the US, at $200 instead of £360), and I've never looked back. I love it, it's literally the best piece of clothing I've ever bought. Flattering (I bought it in black), high-performance, warm, waterproof, enduring. I know someone who has been wearing the same coat for a decade. I expect great things from it!

NB, I live in a cold snowy country so had particular need...

uk.thenorthface.com/tnf-uk-en/women-s-arctic-parka.html

Fab41 Wed 26-Sep-12 14:04:34

Another vote for Merrell Haven here. I found the unpractical but washable cream colour in TK Maxx for £59.99 so that overruled the colour. It is so cosy and warm, I feel prepared for this crap weather now.

herhonesty Wed 26-Sep-12 14:22:14

Kopparbergkate i am in similar position and have seen these two which i plan on ordering to have a good look

this one

or

or this one

junkcollector Wed 26-Sep-12 14:30:55

Another Merrell Haven fan here. Warm, waterproof and quite smart. In fact this thread has reminded me to dig it out of the cupboard.

sliceofcake Wed 26-Sep-12 14:35:04

Another vote for the Craghoppers Haddenbury, I find mine really warm and totally dry, plus it is longer length too, so with boots on only a bit of leg gets wet on the school run/ dog walk etc.

wheresmespecs Wed 26-Sep-12 15:16:29

Didriksons do the BEST kids warm/ waterproof/windproof coats and ski suit things I have come across. I get them from the Viking kids website, and have got something at reduced price each time.

For grown ups - Rohan coats are great, and I have a good Berghaus one. I am a bit of an anorak anorak, it turns out. Unless I grow several feet upwards or outwards now, I need not buy another coat ever (unless it is in a great colour, obvs).

Tweet2tweet Wed 26-Sep-12 16:04:53

Craghoppers Haddenbury JAcket is great- wore all last winter and is waterproof. Am wearing today and is felxible for Autumn too:

On offer at:

http://www.outdoorclearance.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=147934&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=export_feed#googlebase

accessorieshelp Wed 26-Sep-12 16:22:15

I mentioned the Craghoppers Akiko earlier, and the cheaper £89 one

amazon

is slightly different to the one currently on Craghoppers website. The amazon one is missing the word 'herringbone' and the shape looks slightly different.

herringbone

do you think the amazon one is likely to be fake? Or just an old version of the current one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now