Mn Vogue vol. 2

(1000 Posts)
MarshaBrady Sun 02-Sep-12 11:25:06

For anyone who likes to talk about style, nice stuff that they've bought and so on.

MarshaBrady Thu 18-Oct-12 21:21:24

Ah Shop that's a shame about the Reiss ring.

Here's The King of Comedy am pleased to see that it's viewed here as the most underrated of Scorsese's films. Really something, and De Niro is amazing in it.

Yes ah to the riddle! Yes so an event, and someone really bounded up to me and started talking with such candour and bravado I was kind of amazed. (still vague so have sent you a pm!)

shopafrolic Thu 18-Oct-12 17:43:36

Never seen the film Marsha but will add it to my rental list and take a look - in other movie news am excited to report that DH and I have our first date night tomorrow for about 6 months and are off for dinner and a movie. Cannot wait!
Sad to say that the plating on the Reiss ring I bought is already coming off so that will have to go back angry

I feel as though you're speaking in code Marsha - 'leg up', 'new friend' - care to elaborate? smile

MarshaBrady Thu 18-Oct-12 09:56:10

Watched King of Comedy last night with Robert de Niro. Such a good movie. Anyone see it?

My new friend and I had our first overly familiar person looking for a leg up at the weekend. We both found it unnerving. But kind of interesting too.

MarshaBrady Thu 18-Oct-12 09:44:47

Lol both.

Yes as I posted high waist the image of high elasticated per una waist came in to my mind. Which obviously has no place on our haute fashion thread.

I reckon I could do a beret at push. But would feel a bit too wooly if worn with a scarf.

A beanie or fedora would be all kinds of wrong on me. Can't do the waterfall but defend the right to.

Yes Dona where art thou.

Hopefully Thu 18-Oct-12 09:20:00

Waterfalls are fabulous. With the right outfit (which emphatically does not include bootleg jeans or a loose tshirt underneath). They also have to be properly drapey, not a half assed waterfall.

Yes I can do a waterfall, but don't like to admit it on MN or fear of lynch-mob. I bet I am a natural/dramatic combo of some kind like you...

I prefer high rise marsha - high waist makes me think M&S Classics.

Like hopefully I can work a beanie/beret/trilby/fedora but I would look like a total bellend (ha ha) in a cloche. Not sure how I'll look in a beanie with short hair though - first winter.

Where's Dona? I could do with some advice on smart-casual dressing...

Hopefully Wed 17-Oct-12 21:22:04

Amber I can only do waterfall/draped cardigans.

Marsha I can't do cloche hats, or anything too neat, prim etc. trilby hats, berets, beanies, sun hats etc are all good though.

MarshaBrady Wed 17-Oct-12 19:50:57

high rise? is that the term, probably.

MarshaBrady Wed 17-Oct-12 19:49:43

They're great Amber. Really love a high waist these days, can't do low rise anymore they end up getting too big and falling down.

I can do 70s style sun hats, the big straw or paper ones but that's it.

And I suspect the jewellery I can do is the type that is out of my price range. Be fun to find out if that's so.

So you can both do all kinds of hats?

Yes, I can do hats also. I can't do cardigans though, so you win some you lose some.

Bought another pair of my favourite ever jeans today the Goldsign virtual - I hope they never stop making them!

Hopefully Wed 17-Oct-12 19:24:20

I find accessories have to be absolutely spot on, or I just don't wear them. In my case they have to be big and angular - nothing rounded or soft about them.

I can also do hats. Which is good, given the aforementioned hatred of hoods grin

MarshaBrady Wed 17-Oct-12 13:51:25

Most looks wrong on me and hats are verrry tricky.

MarshaBrady Wed 17-Oct-12 13:49:36

lol!

Yes it can look fabulous. I often say it looks great on others. My sister looks brilliant in accessories and even hats. It's her eyes, they highlight those. I actually would do more jewellery if I could get the requisite diamonds that I think would look good. wink

shopafrolic Wed 17-Oct-12 13:00:19

Marsha I never used to wear anything other than watch, rings, earrings and the odd scarf. The chunky necklace is a massive departure for me but I've had lots of compliments on it so feeling good. I know what you mean about noise though maisie I clunk a bit when I walk and DS is quite fascinated by it (I nearly knocked him out when I first picked him up wearing it!). Must be more careful!

maisiebabe Tue 16-Oct-12 22:58:44

Am keeping the flares, which are very..well..flarey but v flattering. Much more so than skinnies and the high rise is good too it almost contains my muffin top for a smooth shape. haven't had high rises before.
Sending the black trousers back though as can barely get them over my knees- what is with bizarre sizing? Ordered same size as jeans confused

Really. Must. Stop shopping.

MarshaBrady Tue 16-Oct-12 22:03:56

Hi Topaz and Maisie

Great links Maisie.

Shop I don't really wear accessories, well I wear a watch, rings and use wool/cashmere or angora scarves.

I don't actually wear necklaces, ear rings and a hat is the antithesis of me! But I am fairly paired down really, others can do it well.

Have been away and not shopping! But will get back into the swing of it soon I'm sure.

Topazandpearl Mon 15-Oct-12 23:26:42

That is a great reduction on the last link maisie.

First day wearing a winter coat today. It is a 10 year old, M&S Italian wool coat (I think it cost about £180, which was a lot for M&S in those days). It is dark brown, long, straight and single-breasted, quite mannish in shape. As I love it, it has been worn to death, but still looks like new. I have a faux fur collar which can attach. I haven 't done this the last few years, but I feel it could get a few outings this year!

Speaking of coats, I fancy a new trench. My current one is very lightweight and slightly on the small side (having all buttons done up is rather squashing iykwim!)

maisiebabe Sun 14-Oct-12 18:00:22

Like topaz I lurk much more than I post and am delurking here with a large glass of wine.
I haven't really browsed in Reiss but that necklace is lovely. I usually accessorise with a scarf and a cocktail ring although I bought a necklace from
anthropologie a few months ago- it makes a bit of a racket when I move in it though.

Now thinking about what to wear with these
and these too. I see from Style that 'flare foot' a la Victoria Beckham is going down so must avoid that smile.

Hopefully Sun 14-Oct-12 17:51:40

Very pretty shop.

topaz I am just re-reading YAWYW as I am attempting re-write/re-prioritise my A/W shopping list before I waste any money in a panic - am flapping about lack of clothes (for a change hmm).

shopafrolic Sun 14-Oct-12 17:46:17

Hi all. Scruffy gardening day today so dropped in for a it of style chat and it's all gone quiet - you must all be out and about. I've been statement jewellery shopping....
pinterest.com/pin/122230577357933489/
And this
pinterest.com/pin/122230577357933488/
I'm loving the grey and gold combination at the moment. How do you all accessorise?

Topazandpearl Sat 13-Oct-12 23:17:35

I haven't done any recent shopping as I have been busy, both with work and with visitors and it is going to continue like this for the next few weeks. However, my decluttered wardrobe is much easier to manage and I am (generally) happy with my outfits. I am still considering what boots to buy and am also thinking about what (trench) coat I might like. I have finished YAWYW, which I really liked and am now reading Deluxe, how luxury lost its lustre (thanks for the recommendations Dona).
Although I lurk more than post, I really enjoy keeping up with you all.

MarshaBrady Fri 12-Oct-12 17:53:25

Even when I do a money no object sweep of NaP, MyW and Matches I can't see The Dress. How can that be?

MarshaBrady Fri 12-Oct-12 17:39:32

Pop so pleased about your shopping success. The scarf is gorgeous and the suit is brilliant.

I love a good umbrella too hopefully. Dh has one from one of those nice traditional umbrella shops, which he reluctantly lets me use!

Great party dress tips Dona, will definitely keep them in mind. Have started the great dress hunt. Some nice stuff in Maje, going to keep looking.

Well we could always have a little Vogue party wink Very refined grin.

MarshaBrady Fri 12-Oct-12 14:30:50

Am in South Molton St. I actually think Wolford might be the most dangerous place for my card.

In to Maje... And swoon at electric blue. No time to try on, will have to come back!

And back here to catch up

This thread is not accepting new messages.