Where do you buy your cardigans?

(43 Posts)
NaiceSpam Tue 28-Aug-12 14:18:22

Ever since the whole “boyfriend cardigan” nonsense started, it seems impossible to buy a decent cardigan. I live in dresses, so anything long and unfitted completely ruins the silhouette. I want one that sits on the waist, is fitted, V neck, and has full sleeves. I know such a thing exists, because I own one. ONE. It is from Topshop, bought back in the good old days before everything was anti-fit.

Anyone else?

Everything seems to be either hip-length but unfitted like my mum wears (looking at you, Gap), or long and flappy/drapey. I’ve tried the likes of Karen Millen and Whistles, but even they seem to only do fitted little numbers with ¾ length sleeves. I suppose that’s a compromise I’m willing to make, but for those sorts of prices I want it to be perfect. And it is, y’know, a cardigan, and supposed to keep you warm... confused

TIA!

DizzyBeeisSchoolShoeShopping Wed 29-Aug-12 10:04:45

New Look - but buy a smaller size! They are big.

NaiceSpam Wed 29-Aug-12 09:59:25

Hmm! I logged on pissed as a fart a little tired and emotional last night, and followed the Woolovers advice (after falling in love with Brora and then nearly fainting when I spotted the prices) and um accidentally bought two cardigans for £20 each. SOMEBODY here owes me forty quid... <glares around>

<pretty sure that's how S&B works>

grin

FamiliesShareGerms Wed 29-Aug-12 07:35:43

Another vote for Uniqlo

ImpossiblyGlossy Wed 29-Aug-12 07:31:21

For work? Boden. Look more £

LaTrucha Wed 29-Aug-12 07:29:43

Woolovers looks great!

mirai Wed 29-Aug-12 04:16:36

Another vote for uniqlo smile

almapudden Wed 29-Aug-12 00:16:30

Actually, does anyone know whee to find longer-length fitted cardigans? I am 5'11" and the H&M fitted ones are way too short.

almapudden Wed 29-Aug-12 00:15:00

H&M?

seeker Wed 29-Aug-12 00:09:42

My cardigan loving dd buys hers from the men's section of charity shops. She has some fantastic ones- including cashmere- none of which cost more than £7.50!

cerealqueen Wed 29-Aug-12 00:03:18

Another one for woolovers!

ComradeJing Tue 28-Aug-12 23:43:50

CAnt believe no one has mentioned brora yet!

wildfig Tue 28-Aug-12 20:56:37

Banana Republic has turned up a few really good cardigans for me. I always forget about it, then find the perfect fine silk knit/cashmere one. And they often have discount codes.

BikeRunSki Tue 28-Aug-12 19:28:54

Woolovers -like a poor person's Brora. Quality not so wonderful, but prices more realistic.

Pure

Benetton

Itsgottabebags Tue 28-Aug-12 18:48:20

Dotty P's. I did buy some cardigans from M and S a few years back (the type with satiny buttons and trim I think) and they washed really badly!

NaiceSpam Tue 28-Aug-12 17:16:55

Oooh, I've found some nice ones on Mango! What do you think?

mig I have had a saved search for months - it came up ONCE and I FUCKING missed it angry

Will check Laura Ashley!

TheCountessOlenska Tue 28-Aug-12 17:16:38

Agree with everyone who said Zara! And sometimes H&M

mignonette Tue 28-Aug-12 17:14:56

And Velvet. They can look like those old Voyage ones from the 90's.

Pastabee Tue 28-Aug-12 17:13:56

John Lewis own are nice and come in lots of colours.

sugarice Tue 28-Aug-12 17:08:37

I love Sandwich cardigans which come in all style, Nougat and Out of Xile , a bit pricey the last one but lovely.

mignonette Tue 28-Aug-12 17:01:09

Try Ebay. I know the style you mean and Laura Ashley has done them. Also keep eye out for this style in the less fashiony stores, some such as McKays, Bon Marche (believe it or not) M&S can stock really nice cardigans.

Also La Redoute has plenty of styles.

NaiceSpam Tue 28-Aug-12 16:58:34

Thanks everyone!

I foreswore H&M yurrs ago because their stuff never seems to wear well. Might be worth venturing back though. Zara sounds v promising. Found some nice shrug-type jobbies in House of Fraser sale as well! Those ones rarely button and are usually short-sleeve, but at least tick the silhouette requirement.

WHY OH WHY can't I find another like my Topshop fave?! It is ribbed at the waist so hugs there, but loose over the boobs and buttons in the PERFECT place, slightly loose sleeves with ribbed cuffs... Should have bought ten of them! It's now very old and faded and has a hole in the shoulder. <sob>

FunnyLittleFrog Tue 28-Aug-12 16:47:40

Zara £19.99 v neck and long sleeves.

mirpuppet Tue 28-Aug-12 16:38:56

Uniqlo.

Viviennemary Tue 28-Aug-12 16:35:02

I've got two or three from Tu at Sainsbury's. A couple of M & S cotton ones. But it's hard getting a decent cardigan.

MrsPear Tue 28-Aug-12 16:29:21

Despite the fact that i am 31 i buy mine from woolovers because the wool cardis are wool and the cotton ones are cotton not some artifical fabric. They wash at 30 degrees with the pink wash liquid. Good range of colours and styles. Just look carefully! The only think i would say is if like me you are very, very long armed, despite being 5'6", the sleeves just meet my wrist but otherwise the fit is good. I am a dress size 10 (34b chest) and wear size small in there fitted cardi's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now