How do you wear your bras?

(760 Posts)
BedHeadTigi Sat 25-Aug-12 18:44:17

Do you like to wear them super tight so you know they are there and leave bra marks when you take them off, or have them at a looser more comfortable setting? Im asking this because i have realised all of my old bras are pretty super tight on me, but my new ones are so comfortable and no way as tight but i wonder if they will still support my bust the same?

changeforthebetter Sun 26-Aug-12 12:48:59

grin at people who blog about boob size.

It is nice to hear that the media as usual talk bollocks about bra size. I am a 30J (I think confused). People usually look aghast at "J" (not that I wander round discussing my bra size with everyone wink)

I am fairly norky but I think that's because I'm not tall and fairly slim elsewhere. I am envy of all those rounded boobs. Mine look like sad mangoes after having 2 kids grin

SorrelForbes Sun 26-Aug-12 13:08:40

travailtotravel Hmmm. Did you measure tightly underneath and loosely across? I would try a 42DD/E and maybe a 40D/DD/E. TBH, I never find that M&S bras fit properly no matter what size or style I choose!

Remember, to really scoop all your flesh into the cups when you put your bra on (be quite firm and really drag everything into the cup). Is the centre gore sitting flat to your body?

SorrelForbes Sun 26-Aug-12 13:11:54

changeforthebetter The media really do have a lot to answer for! I wish that someone like Katie Price or Christina Hendricks would be open about their correct size (if they know what that is of course!).

A J really isn' that big anyway. As I said up thread, if my size 6 niece is a D/DD then relatively speaking a J isn't that large. Interestingly I look much bigger in my Ewa Michelek bras than I do in my R&P ones. Differnt styles and all that.

My boobs certainly aren't round either.

mirai Sun 26-Aug-12 13:48:51

SorrelForbes I spent five minutes wondering what sailor shaped boobs were!? grin Annoyingly I live in Asia where the chance of me finding a shop that stocks a C cup, let alone a D or E, is nigh on impossible. So online shopping trial and error is all I can do...

Bandersnatch - I am all for Marie Antoinette-esque splendour and fullness!!

SorrelForbes Sun 26-Aug-12 13:55:37

Oh god, I remember when I lived in SE. The bras were miniscule, about a 28AA and had lots of padding in the bit where your boob should go!

Good on line sites are Brastop, Bravissimo, Ewa Michelek.

Hapy shopping!

BandersnatchCummerbund Sun 26-Aug-12 14:05:06

Sorrel, have you tried many Ewa Michalak bras? Any impressions of band size/cup size/shape/uplift? I am dying to try them, but the whole ordering process looks like such a nightmare that I haven't got round to it yet.

BandersnatchCummerbund Sun 26-Aug-12 14:07:06

Oh, and Mirai - in that case: Curvy Kate Tease Me, CK Thrill Me and Masquerade Rhea are your friends. wink First two less practical than the third, and also come up small in the cup, but give truly stupendous uplift.

SorrelForbes Sun 26-Aug-12 14:14:48

Bander I've only tried the CH Biszkopty and the CH Karmelki.

I have the Karmelki in a 70G (32G) and it fits very well. However, it really does give a lot uplift and makes my boobs look enormous very ample. The shape it gives is great. There is removable padding but I found that my boobs fitted the bra better keeping the padding in.

The Biszkopty in a 70G was much too big in the cup. I meant to order a 70FF but ordered a 60G (30G) by mistake and it fits well.

The quality seems very good and they are well made. Delivery, return and exchange was very simple and quick. I'll definitely be ordering again. However, they're still not as nice as my R&Ps - sigh.

SorrelForbes Sun 26-Aug-12 14:16:06

Ooh yes, Curvy Kate. I have a Thrill me (£14 from Bra Stop) and it's lovely. Brings my boobs up to chin level grin.

mirai Sun 26-Aug-12 14:45:18

Ohmylife that Rhea bra is just gorgeous. But I just can't imagine for a second that these little things could ever fill one, much less in a D cup!! Can't wait to get the one I've ordered and see how it fits. Imagine the shopping I'll have to do if it fits!!! Heaven.

BandersnatchCummerbund Sun 26-Aug-12 15:12:20

Ah, now I'm always in pursuit of uplift (hence my love of the ones I recommended to Mirai!) so that is very good news about Ewa M. Unfortunately, though, I've just had a look and they appear to have pretty much no stock!! I know they do a made-to-order service, but wouldn't want to risk it - I'm not even sure what size I am (maybe 60G as I'm normally a 28G, but can't really tell). Damn.

YY to chin-level boobs in the Thrill Me. grin Although I do find it a bit...much (the bra, not the uplift). The Tease Me is a bit quieter, but a lot less support - makes me a bit self-conscious walking up the street as I feel that I'm accidentally putting on a show even if everything's completely under wraps!

mirai, hope it works for you! They are beautiful bras.

SorrelForbes Sun 26-Aug-12 15:16:55

How odd that there are no 28Gs (60G) on the site. Might be worth emailing them to check just in case they haven't updated the website? I suppose you could try a 30FF?

MissBoPeep Sun 26-Aug-12 17:00:50

You really do need to try them on Haunted and Mirai.

Evidently Rigby & Peller put you in a very tight band- that's what gives support.

Apricot- try a 32D, 32DD, or 32C.

My Eureka moment cam e when I went into a small lingerie shop and the owner took one look at me and said I was never a 34 back (I wear size 8 or 10).

I measure anywhere from a 29 -30 under bust, and 35 over.

For comfort I wear a 32 back and can wear either a C or D cup.

I spent years in a 34A, then a 34B and now realise the band was far too loose.

sorrel, thanks - yes, tight and loose but will jolly off to JL or Debs and see what they have to say for themselves. Anywhere but M&S, eh.

SorrelForbes Sun 26-Aug-12 17:45:47

I think Halfords would make a better job of fitting someone with a new bra better than M&S grin

Heads off to halfords...grin

grin arf at Halfords!

I'm sure the mechanics behind the parts counter would happily examine my breasts!

ToothGah Sun 26-Aug-12 20:19:05

This is fascinating!

I've just measured myself and I think I'm a 36 round my ribs, and a 39 across the widest point of my boobs.

I currently wear a 38B.

What should I be wearing? I hate tight bras, in fact I wear an extension bit in the back to make the band wider as you can't really get 40Bs off the shelf.

Any help please, oh wise ones?

I would say a 40A...but then I keep getting told I'm wrong grin

HazleNutt Sun 26-Aug-12 20:27:33

36C probably Tooth. If you don't like them tight, try this one:
http://www.figleaves.com/uk/product/FRA-AA1313/Freya-Carys-Underwired-Padded-Long-Line-Bra/?size=&colour=Browns
Incredibly comfortable and supportive, no digging in. Quite low cut so you might want to go up a cup size to 36D.

HazleNutt Sun 26-Aug-12 20:27:47
Homebird8 Sun 26-Aug-12 20:29:13

Without reading the thread, or even the OP, I can state in answer to the title that at the moment mine is twisted in the middle of the cups but as it feels comfy and I have only just realised despite being fully dressed, it's damn well staying like that for the day now!

I've got my size down pat just right. 32F.
My trouble is the WIRE manufacturer is the same no matter where you get the bra from.
The wire doesn't fit me, they are too narrow in the U shape. I need a wider U because my boobs seem to be further round towards my armpits.

All wires from all UK brands simply dig in under arm. And I def am in right size, been to R&P etc.

I like Anita but they aren't sold except online and are pricey.
What are these Polish ones like?
I can't wear Fantasie, Freya, Curvy Kate, Bravissimo, Panache, triumph, boux avenue. The wire is identical throughout.

And also the straps are too far across, too wide for my shoulders.
Shops always pull the straps towards my neck to make them fit (stay up) but they are then an inverted V and not straight.

Hate hate hate buying bras.
I'm a size 12 because of large cups. I don't particularly have narrow shoulders.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now