What trend/style can you not wait to rock this autumn?

(123 Posts)
InspiredToBoot Fri 17-Aug-12 20:48:49

For me it's ankle boots even though it will mean hiding the seven pairs of calf boots I have from my husband.

CardiCorgi Fri 24-Aug-12 12:34:58

That's great information, thank you so much.

Craftyone Fri 24-Aug-12 12:17:40

I agree with Hopefully that Berwick street is not the cheapest. I studied fashion/textiles in London and it was the main place we went to get quality fabrics. I buy for my own freelance work. Goldhawk road is good too for affordability. I work in textiles so i love looking at the rolls for over £300 a metre!! i only look though unless the clients paying, they are amazing. If you do go Bewick Street enter it from Oxford street and walk all the way down. Go inside The Cloth House (2 shops on Bewick st, one for fashion and one for interiors) and go inside The Cloth Shop, Borovics, Silk City etc. You will see some of the best quality fabrics around and you might spot some famous designers as they shop around there too. There are lots of affordable fabrics and remnants too. Sometimes it's the only place to find something in a certain colour. Creative Beadcraft is close to Bewick street too and is also worth a visit on 1 Marshall Street London W1F 9BA

A word of advice is to go Berwick st a bit early or a bit late as when they are busy they can be a bit snooty especially if they are serving someone from the more expensive selections. You can purchase 10cm or 20cm strips of most things so good for an expensive trim e.g. £60 metre fabric looks great as a £6 trim. I'm going to shut up now. I haven't been Berwick st for ages as looking after 9 month DS.
One last thing is some of these shops only open Monday-Friday so choose a weekday if possible.

CardiCorgi Fri 24-Aug-12 11:18:26

Thanks, I shall put them on my list for my next London visit.

Hopefully Fri 24-Aug-12 09:14:00

Cardi it's not cheap (go to goldhawk rd for cheap fabrics) but lots of wonderful quality fabric, plenty of weights and types.

CardiCorgi Fri 24-Aug-12 09:11:02

Good for you, Craftyone. By the way, is that a good place for buying fabric? I'm
not very familiar with London.
MarshaBrady thanks they are also very nice and that is the sort of thing I think I want. Another option I have is that there is a local company who sell their own very well made footwear. They have a reputation for being a bit snooty, so I'll take DH with me and check out their offerings.

Craftyone Thu 23-Aug-12 00:05:16

I will be going to Berwick street and will rock any style i fancy making!

Mrsloverlovershabba Wed 22-Aug-12 16:13:04

I did this face hmm before opening the cords link - now i want them

Loving all the Hudson boots too

<<saves pennies>>

fridgepants Wed 22-Aug-12 16:00:56

I really want to order some made-to-measure 50s reproductions from TopRunway, but am scared that as my life is not like Bette Davis's, they will be unworn.

I am looking forward to getting out my red cord skirt and teal boots.

ArcticRain Wed 22-Aug-12 15:51:41

Do skinny jeans etc look odd on short people ? I usually wear dresses. I'm not sure whether my legs look shorter so not bought yet.

thekidsarealright Wed 22-Aug-12 09:42:13

Love this thread!

I'm loosing weight and will be positively guant hmm by Christmas.

But what I really, really need is ankle boots, in a light colour with a military button detail. SIL had some a few years ago and they made me envy so bad I couldn't compliment her on them.

Go! Go! Go!

MarshaBrady Wed 22-Aug-12 09:35:19

They probably have other styles too this AW if the zip is a bit much.

MarshaBrady Wed 22-Aug-12 09:31:17

Yes I want something like that too. Really good quality, last for ages, means I get away with some of my shoddier clothes. Hermès are good. As are Loro Piana. But ££ too.

Yes that was a bit of an unrelated post there! Am sure most people do it for a hobby. I wasn't very good at it actually, straight lines were a bugger.

CardiCorgi Wed 22-Aug-12 09:25:45

We had to learn to sew in school and we all hated it. I've only been inspired again recently and mainly by the number of sewing blogs and the Burda magazines which all show that it doesn't need to be floral elasticated-waist skirts (what was our teacher thinking of?). My aim is to make relatively simple things and get the fit spot on as perfect fit is not cheap to buy. I'm actually a physicist, so no illusions of become the next big design name.

Well the boots I like best are the ones you linked, and yes they also come in dark brown, however despite I'm not sure how I could ever bring myself to spend such an eyewatering amount. I want flat and a roundish toe, not too many extra buckles or straps, but good quality materials. It probably doesn't sound that fashionable, but I think it's what works best for me. They also need to be a fairly slim fit as despite the sports, my calves are quite scrawny (unlike my thighs).

MarshaBrady Wed 22-Aug-12 09:10:18

I know I felt the same. It is a really nice outfit.

My mother taught me to sew when I was little. I don't have a machine and don't really have the time but impressed with anyone that makes gorgeous things.

And I know a few designers who are big world-wide labels now that started that way. Which shows talent has a lot to do with it.

Do you have an idea of the type of knee high boots you'd like to go for Cardi?

CardiCorgi Wed 22-Aug-12 09:05:08

Ooh, I like that outfit and I'm not usually a Kate Moss fan.
Well, you can be impressed when I've actually made the thing wink, I have a sewing wish list as long as my arm. One thing that helps is a dedicated sewing machine table and shelf for UFOs so that I don't have to tidy everything away completely every time I stop. The other is that I'm supposed to be taking things easy, so what was sports time before is now sewing (and mumsnetting) time.
Regarding boots, well both my black knee high boots and black under-trouser ankle boots have died after many years of faithful use, so I do need to replace at least one of them and would rather buy quality and not have the hassle of shopping again for a few years. I'm still not convinced if the ankle-boot with trouser tucked in trend is for me, so if I get any I will go cheaper for those.

VerityBrulee Tue 21-Aug-12 11:22:23

I imagine they would be fine if you don't feel the cold too badly, you could layer undeneath. I'm always freezing though. My mother always told me 'You have to suffer to be beautiful' but being cold is a step too far for me!

MarshaBrady Tue 21-Aug-12 10:33:37

Great minds Verity!

I'd love one, I did try a Stella M one last year, actually it was very like that pin, but my parents weren't overly keen and it was their gift. So went for a SM coat instead.

VerityBrulee Tue 21-Aug-12 10:28:30

I just pinned those capes this morning marsha!

i love the look of capes and bought a couple last winter but found them impossible to wear, my arms were always cold and they are a nuisance with bags, so I ebayed them. They do look great though!

cardi am in awe of pregnant, other child and making clothes for after baby. I think it looks fab!

MarshaBrady Tue 21-Aug-12 09:59:11

And here's a more classic version.

MarshaBrady Mon 20-Aug-12 21:21:49

Capes are great. I know those boots, sigh. I must, I must.

I just saw this cape outfit love the stripes / cape / leather combo.

CardiCorgi Mon 20-Aug-12 20:47:02

I will be rocking the postpartum look. Trying not to weep at the memory of how that was last time.
So, capes, are they really ok, and will I look completely stupid in a dark brown version of this? To be worn with brown skinny cord trousers (made at the end of last winter and not worn out of the house yet and (in my dreams only) the riding boots from MarshaBrady's link.

InspiredToBoot Mon 20-Aug-12 20:46:27

What about handbags? I need inspiration...

Willowme Mon 20-Aug-12 18:14:51

Seen that one before ceecee but I couldn't cope with cold wrists so decided against it.

Probably continuing my love of a girly come rock fashion. Not being too hot to wear my fave biker jackets.
Skinny jeans with layered knits, blazers, slogan tees and pretty flowery floaty bits to mix it up!
My all time fave brown leather riding boots that have seen me through 10yrs so far!! Yes really (thanks m&s)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now