Do those all day sunscreens like P20 work?

(132 Posts)
Fluffycloudland77 Sun 27-May-12 09:41:59

DH is burnt but is being all blokey about not wearing sunscreen.

I have literally had to chase him with factor 50.

Sigh.

Katetonner Mon 18-Aug-14 22:58:01

P20 is great however it's ruined 3 bikinis and twels etc this holiday! I usually use calypso all day and that in my opinion is better and goes on nicer and is less greasy! Never ever burnt!

nappyaddict Thu 01-Aug-13 21:05:18

It's £6.64 for 100ml and £12.24 for 200ml.

nappyaddict Thu 01-Aug-13 20:54:49

Don't see why not?

lizandlulu Thu 01-Aug-13 18:32:45

Oh am I not allowed to say the name blush

lizandlulu Thu 01-Aug-13 18:32:00

Llyods pharmacy have p20 on offer at half price. I got the 50 and 30, both sprays for £13 odd for both.

WhiteHairReally Thu 01-Aug-13 16:26:29

P20 now comes in spray form 30spf and 50 spy as well as the 'old'20 (haven't seen 10spf this year) It was halfprice in a well known high street chemist Ll*** that isn't B****. Don't know whether it still is or not. The 30 and 50 suggest that they act as a block, whereas the 20 'allows gradual tanning' We've stuck with the 20 as that's what Freckles Features (me) and the Drama Queen (teenage daughter) have used successfully in the past. I gave the bottle of 50 to my SIL for her red head DD. Not sure this week in the West Country will have given it a proper testing however.

Trumpton Thu 01-Aug-13 07:56:37

I used P20 factor 50 in full sun all day last week in Menorca ( very high temperatures and 97% humidity )
Didn't burn at all.

TheYamiOfYawn Thu 01-Aug-13 07:34:15

I use the Aldi one and it is cheap, easy to apply and effective. It is alcohol-based, though, so really stings on cuts, eczema etc.

WhiteHairReally Wed 31-Jul-13 22:43:04

P20 now comes in spray form 30spf and 50 spy as well as the 'old'20 (haven't seen 10spf this year) It was halfprice in a well known high street chemist Ll*** that isn't B****. Don't know whether it still is or not. The 30 and 50 suggest that they act as a block, whereas the 20 'allows gradual tanning' We've stuck with the 20 as that's what Freckles Features (me) and the Drama Queen (teenage daughter) have used successfully in the past. I gave the bottle of 50 to my SIL for her red head DD. Not sure this week in the West Country will have given it a proper testing however.

finallyasilverlining Fri 19-Jul-13 11:24:33

We use Ultrasun family formula here, only got it the other day...DC put some on in the morning and were fine all day...so far no signs of any rashes!

faithfulandtruthful Fri 19-Jul-13 09:41:49

Lotta I use the holland and barrett liquid vit D I was really suprised at how well it worked.

F&T

Helpforthehopeless Thu 18-Jul-13 22:42:27

I agree, Boots Soltan Once worked brilliantly on very fair skinned me and youngest son in Crete in August. I've used it ever since.

lizandlulu Thu 18-Jul-13 21:45:24

I used to use p20, now use ultrasun. Ultrasun used to be better for protecting against UVA rays,( or UVB, Im not sure which) p20 wasn't as good. Although now p20 might have changed their formula to make it better, but now have been using ultrasun and am ok with that. 20 sports formula for me and either 30 or. 50for kids. Expensive but worth every penny.
I work outside and am now in the habit of putting it on in a morning and know I'm protected all day

chicaguapa Thu 18-Jul-13 21:32:03

Another vote for P20. I've never burnt with it and only apply it once a day. But I do follow the instructions and wait 15 minutes before I get dressed/ go outside. By then you forget you've got anything on as your skin feels completely normal! It's worth the money IMO.

ipswichwitch Thu 18-Jul-13 19:21:34

I use p20 - its the only sunscreen I don't get heat rash with, but I do tend to apply more than one a day (burn easily)

IcedTeaOneSugar Thu 18-Jul-13 19:18:01

I've used Soltan Once on DD her whole life and she's never been red, and has certainly never burned.

mrsbaffled Thu 18-Jul-13 18:50:35

For those who are having trouble with eczema, reactions and sensitive skin, I have heard excellent things about the Avon sun creams not causing reactions. I don't think they do an all day cream, though.

Reastie Thu 18-Jul-13 18:46:38

Another vote for ultrasun here too. Just started using it and it's the only one which doesn't make me sweat under a layer and lasts all day. DH uses p20 too which sucks straight in when I use it. Ultimate thumbs up for ultra sun though.

nappyaddict Thu 18-Jul-13 17:29:31

OneLittleToddleTerror What's the Garnier once a day sun cream called? I can't find it on their website.

nappyaddict Thu 18-Jul-13 17:27:25

Cucumberscarecrow Is the ASDA one you use a normal sun cream or a once a day one?

What's the Tesco's own version of P20 called?

nappyaddict Thu 18-Jul-13 17:23:45

I use Piz Buin 1 day long. £4.99 in Home Bargains for 100ml.

Or Boots Soltan Once - from £7.99 for 200ml but usually on BOGOF.

Lottapianos Thu 18-Jul-13 16:35:08

faithfulandtruthful, I also use SPF50 on my face and neck every day, year round. I do take Vitamin D as part of a daily multivitamin, and it's 100%RDA. Can I ask which supplement you use?

faithfulandtruthful Thu 18-Jul-13 16:30:02

I did get Vit D deficiency when I obsessively used SPF50 over a number of years, I have since cut back to SPF 30 and taken vit D supplements I feel so much better.

Just tossing the other side of the coin to the 'cancer' aspect.

F&T

faithfulandtruthful Thu 18-Jul-13 16:17:22

I use Boot's Soltan Once on me and the kids I care for. I have kids 8hr play SPF 30 and kids 6hr water play (3hr in water, reapply after) SPF 50, I also have SPF 30 cream and my DH uses SPF15 invisible. All the creams have UVA 5 star ratings.

I have fair skin but the kids I look after and my husband are darker skinned than me.

I have only 'turned slightly red' once but I think that was because I wasn't expecting to be out in the sun all day, after a reapplied (which I don't normally do) on the area that had gone red it was fine, i didn't burn. If I had realised I was going to be out all day I would have used a higher SPF cream.

We have used the spf 50 water play when we went canoeing for 3 hours in the sun when it was at its hottest, completely in the sun the whole time on the water and neither of us burnt.

I have been using them for about 4 years and I will happily keep doing so.

F&T

notasausage Thu 18-Jul-13 16:00:25

A word of caution (though this is several years ago) for P20 - my DB put some on his GF's back after applying his own non P20 cream and that bit of her back burnt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now