Hot date looming. FGS someone find me some shapewear that will suck it all in.

(29 Posts)
SarahStratton Tue 03-Jan-12 18:14:13

And I promise I will keep up with the diet and exercise!

Seriously, have got a hot date next week. I have, ahem, stomachage. Or should that be stomach acreage. The problem area is sort of ribcage downwards. Legs are fine, hips are fine, bum is fine.

Just the stomach. sad

Could you steer me in the direction of some shapewear that will give me a bit of a waist and smooth things out, without being all lumpy bumpy. Preferably something that you can't see under a clingy dress.

Size 16 dear God I shall be back down to a 12 14 if it kills me in the process and 38DD norks.

PhoenixFromTheFlames Tue 03-Jan-12 19:38:30

I went to Debenhams and got one that starts under my bra and goes down to pant line. Brilliant stuff although it made me very warm! A bit like this but yes, Debenhams helped me out.

fireandthefury Tue 03-Jan-12 19:39:12

Are you apple shaped? You sound like me by your description.

I've found that the only shapewear that is ok for me is the full body suit type. Any thing that's just knickers leaves a roll of fat under my ribcage and also threatens to roll down.

I have a spanx suit, but they are a fucker to go to the toilet in but do the job. If you are large of chest I'd go for something that you can wear a bra under though, rather than something that covers the cups too.

SarahStratton Tue 03-Jan-12 20:05:25

Ah that's the sort of thing that would work Phoenix, is your's Ultimo? Yup, I seem to have turned into an apple shape, good norks, good bum and legs but the fat bit starts right under my norks and carries on down. sad

fireandthefury Tue 03-Jan-12 20:06:48

I feel your pain.

Phoenix's link is exactly the kind of thing i meant.

izzybizzybuzzybees Tue 03-Jan-12 20:09:02

I went to primark and bought a pair of huge hold me in pants and a hold me in top that is cut out at your bra but starts immediately below that and then smooths down over tummy to almost start if hips. That combo together is fab!

PhoenixFromTheFlames Tue 03-Jan-12 20:10:23

I'm an apple too, got some boobs about a 36D but my belly tends to protrude underneath them! I'm not sure what make mine is tbh but it's similar to that. Like fire I found all the others actually cut me off at the midriff and added to my woes!

SarahStratton Tue 03-Jan-12 20:25:15

I've found a very pretty one by Maidenform. Just a bit concerned that the boning will be that stupid plasticy stuff that buckles under my mass.

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 03-Jan-12 20:27:30

Now you see I go for the full monty.

So hold you in pants (m&s do good ones), a tummy control vest (again m&s) and then bodyshaper opaque tights.

And if its really desperate a shaping slip.

OK so breathing is a bit hard and you may get tummy ache but you know . . . wink

Get0rf Tue 03-Jan-12 20:29:58

Maidenform. Fucking maidenform. That is a name I haven't heard since I used to look in the back of my gran's Kays catalogue (see also Doreen bras and Miss Mary of Sweden boulder holders).

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 03-Jan-12 20:32:36

Oh and do not wear any of this if you're expecting any action because you struggling to get out of it will not be conducive to a romantic scene.

SarahStratton Tue 03-Jan-12 20:33:13

I know GetOrf, it's one of those companies that you think bit the dust decades ago. shock

MrsCB, I like your style even if you did nick the name I wanted

This has excellent reviews.

SarahStratton Tue 03-Jan-12 20:34:25

Strictly coffee for the first date. There will be no action for at least 3. By then I am hoping to have starved fatblob into submission, if not I shall strangle it with a corset.

Get0rf Tue 03-Jan-12 20:34:48

They look bloody uncomfortable.

And how the hell are you supposed to go for a slash?

MirandaGoshawk Tue 03-Jan-12 20:37:12

I saw some today in Debenhams in the sale. They had quite a lot of different ones to choose from.

LordFlashheart Tue 03-Jan-12 20:39:53

Have you been bravissimoed? Makes a huge difference.

SarahStratton Tue 03-Jan-12 20:41:06

They have poppers grin

I think I'm going to get the second one, the reviews are better and the boning on the first one is a bit scary.

Or I could get both and wear them together.

<adds bodyshaper tights to list>

missmiss Tue 03-Jan-12 20:47:45

Oh god poppers are the devil's work. I am long of body and had to buy a gusset extender the one and only time I attempted shape wear.

fireandthefury Tue 03-Jan-12 20:49:17

I am long of body too.

Hook and eye fasteners (like on a bra) are more secure than poppers. But my advice is to wear knickers underneath if you are going to be wearing one after a few shandies (ouch),

Get0rf Tue 03-Jan-12 20:55:49

I am also long waisted, HATED the 90s trend for bodys.

SarahStratton Tue 03-Jan-12 20:56:25

I am short of body and long of leg, poppers don't scare me. grin

Pinot Tue 03-Jan-12 21:30:50

Stratters you are me. I have found Spanx Higher Power High Waisted Power Panty <boak at the name> is the absolute dynamite in sucking-in-ness. I have it in nude and it's heinous but spectacular in the tummy area and rather splendid at not giving the muffin-top in the bra area as it goes up to your bra back. Splendid invention. The leg bits are just to smooth and don't cut off/aren't sucky-in-able just smoooooth.

LordFlashheart Tue 03-Jan-12 21:56:58

you can push the gusset to one side when you go to the loo

SarahStratton Tue 03-Jan-12 22:14:31

Ahh Pinot, I luffs ya <adds the SuperSpanxHighPowerPanties to basket>

kotuku Tue 03-Jan-12 22:21:54

I love my www.littlewoods.com/trinny-susannah-high-waister/592938091.prd?browseToken=%2fq%2fshapewear
but make sure you don't get them too small or they start to roll down from the top!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now