Scented candles as good as Jo Malone but less expensive?

(125 Posts)
pinkbraces Tue 08-Nov-11 22:19:37

I love the smell of Jo Malone candles, especially the pomegranate one but they are too expensive to be anything more than a luxury. Ive tried lots of others but they either dont have any scent or the scent doesnt last.

Does anyone know of a good alternative.

amazonianwoman Thu 23-Jan-14 09:04:13

Thanks all for the recommendations.

Headlikeafuckingorange Thu 23-Jan-14 09:18:46

Just to add something else into the mix - Melt are really good.

Leedsavril Thu 23-Jan-14 15:41:37

I also like White Company candles, I tend to buy them on offer also!

Flechas Thu 23-Jan-14 19:43:59

[[http://maxbenjamin.ie/our-products/candles/scented-candles max benjamin, have the grapefruit one and it's lovely, 18 euro as opposed to 40 pounds so definitely cheaper

Flechas Thu 23-Jan-14 19:44:31

oops. link didn't work
here

Flechas Thu 23-Jan-14 19:46:15

CointreauVersial, I would rather have a glade lime anti tobacco candle than most of the yankee candles. They are all very sweet, and just don't have that luxury feel imo

sunshinemmum Thu 23-Jan-14 19:54:20

Orla Kiely candles are lovely particularly the wild fig. John Lewis stick them but are cheaper at amazon.

therunnawaybride Thu 23-Jan-14 19:55:22

I'm a scentsy convert, they're a company from the us but have been selling over here for a couple of years now.
Similar to Yankee they have tons of different waxes to choose from but you warm the wax in a warmer that uses an led bulb to melt it rather then a flame so it's more child/pet/planet friendly I have 3 warmers in my house and was constantly getting asked where I got them..so much so I became a consultant for them.
You can google Scentsy uk and find your nearest consultant they'll usually come over with there tester kit and let you have a proper sniff!

I went on a candle spree in T K Maxx at Christmas. I bought lots of Bahoma candles/room sprays/reed things. I think they're really good.

Also have a lovely Neom one.

But, I still frequently return to Price's Chefs Candle or Anti-tobacco. Fantastic scent and value for money!

I do covet a Diptyque or Jo Malone, tho.

Flechas Thu 23-Jan-14 21:02:40

I also have a room fragrance reed diffuser from Max Benjamin, it's grapefruit and pomelo. I had thought that that was ridiculous as Pomelo is a grapefruit, but I was wrong. A pomelo is different.

sleepdodger Thu 23-Jan-14 21:50:47

So the real question is...
Will diptyque EVER do a sale wink

ElizabethBathory Fri 24-Jan-14 13:27:24

MrsAlwaysRight, sorry for the very slow reply. Yes the St Eval candles have a strong scent - not as strong as some, but the smell still fills the room quickly. I find with some candles (e.g. Diptyque) I have to blow them out after an hour or so because the smell gets too overpowering for my small house!

I wish Yankee candles had nicer scents, because they're exactly the right strength smell I think. But every one I've bought smells rank!

Flechas Fri 24-Jan-14 17:13:14

I saw a lovely one today, clementine scented, in a beatiful orange glass. The make was "torc"
Anybody heard of that make?
Same price as max benjamin, but never heard of torc so id be buying it for the jar it comes in if i bought it! Love orange glass though.
Do lots of citrus candles (different scents, grapefruit orange lime) do they clash or work together?
Maybe my house will smell like fruit salad if i throw orange in to tge mix

Thanks ElizabethBathory smile

ContinentalKat Fri 24-Jan-14 17:21:13

http://www.potterscrouchcandles.co.uk

All natural, no headaches when burning those.

HarrogateMum Fri 24-Jan-14 18:41:12

Harrogate candle company. The wow candle in dark amber & sandalwood on vanilla musk and lavender is gorgeous. It's a layered scent and smells divine (and I'm biased as it's a local company so supporting local trade)

hollyisalovelyname Sat 25-Jan-14 09:32:48

Torc is based in Carlow, Ireland. They definitely made for Dunnes Stores in the past and perhaps still do.

hollyisalovelyname Sat 25-Jan-14 09:35:15

Max Benjamin Mimosa is a lovely soft scent. In the Orange box I think

baskingseals Sat 25-Jan-14 13:12:12

www.lily-flame.co.uk
I love diptyque, but these are also lovely

Torc Sat 25-Jan-14 19:42:18

Hollyisalovelyname I just bought a torc candle! it was 'only' 16.95. I say only because a max benjamin or a brooke and shoals is €19 and this torc one comes in a beautiful orange glass jar. I see they do a basil and lime one too which sounds like a rip off of a jo malone one, but I'll try that one next. Pleased with it, the smell of clementine is not too sweet.

Torc Sat 25-Jan-14 19:43:36

I feel a knob saying this blush but candles in tins don't float my boat! Even though I did have one that smelt nice recently.

PapaMantra Sat 01-Feb-14 21:43:20

I swear by candle-lite candles, I get them from www.fragrantflame.co.uk. They do have cheap ranges sold in co-op but definitely try the ranges from the site.

I mainly buy the Revere House range and they burn perfectly and smell divine. www.fragrantflame.co.uk/product-category/revere-house/

I spend a fortune with them but they are still loads cheaper than anything comparable and have got a coupon code that may work for everyone its disco10 for 10% off

foxylady7172000 Fri 07-Mar-14 11:26:24

Good morning, ladies-thanks for all the candles info-I have made a list for future reference static.mumsnet.com/emo/te/2.gif

foxylady7172000 Fri 07-Mar-14 11:36:02

... and messed up my emoticon sad

AnneMakesLovelyCandles Sat 21-Jun-14 01:48:09

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now