Scented candles as good as Jo Malone but less expensive?

(125 Posts)
pinkbraces Tue 08-Nov-11 22:19:37

I love the smell of Jo Malone candles, especially the pomegranate one but they are too expensive to be anything more than a luxury. Ive tried lots of others but they either dont have any scent or the scent doesnt last.

Does anyone know of a good alternative.

HugosGoatee Wed 09-Nov-11 19:27:44

Morrisons - I have a big orange coloured one which is maybe orange and spices or something, not sure hmm and a pink one in a jar which is fresh and flowery. They're both lovely, and iirc the big pillar one was only £3-£4 and lasts ages.

I have 2 Glade ones on the go - they're half price in Tesco atm - and the vanilla one doesn't smell of anything but the pink one is lovely and strong.

levantine Wed 09-Nov-11 20:25:05

Laurie, I tried making your candles, but they were never that strong - if you put essential oils in, how much do you use?

moaninlisa Wed 09-Nov-11 20:26:18

Arran aromatics

warmandwooly Wed 09-Nov-11 20:55:29

TK Maxx will probably have a mixed selection of candles. Try there!

TeamDamon Wed 09-Nov-11 21:02:53

The Little Soap and Candle Company aren't that cheap but are gorgeous. I have the lavender one - it scents the room even when not burning.

JennyPiccolo Wed 09-Nov-11 21:31:50

i was going to say arran aromatics as well. i was in the other day and the girl was making up a gift box for katy perry!

Granard Thu 10-Nov-11 12:10:19

http://www.maxbenjamin.ie/stockists/

Max Benjamin candles are FAR better than Jo Malone and much less expensive. It's an Irish company, link above.

FiFiMax Thu 10-Nov-11 12:11:09

Neom are very good

Granard Thu 10-Nov-11 12:13:30

Sorry, meant to say that they retail at 18 euro in shops in Ireland. Seem to be more expensive online. Don't know the UK retail price. But worth having a look.

Moodykat Thu 10-Nov-11 12:15:58

I like the look of those Candlewick Greens ones but how does one order them?!

levantine Thu 10-Nov-11 13:33:47

M&S ones are pretty good too - they're about a fiver

pinkbraces Fri 11-Nov-11 00:22:17

Thanks everyone, I am going to work my way through the list smile.

Tiredprobably Fri 11-Nov-11 02:41:01

Tk max have loads of candles really nice ones for £6/7.

brighthair Fri 11-Nov-11 07:02:53

Moodykat - if you click on orders and enquiries there's an email and you can email her and pay by paypal. Order form not set up yet wink

Michelefl Wed 22-Aug-12 16:38:27

The St Eval Candle Company have amazing scented candles, and they last forever... www.stevalcandlecompany.co.uk/ (plus they're made in Cornwall smile

True Grace. I used to stock them, so I'm pretty familiar with the range - Library and Sacristy are far and away the best two, but they have bazillions.

PerryCombover Wed 22-Aug-12 16:53:48

Okay

I like diptique and this only

Apparently the smell of Madonna's house ( by house I mean house etc) and It's lovely, lovely, lovely

Glade honey and chocolate on offer at tesco £2 each, I love them. (can't afford my posh candles anymore)

betterthannext Wed 22-Aug-12 17:37:12

the best candle I have had is from Village candles.It was years ago I bought it but it still comes out every autumn and scents the whole room .Also tk Maxx have great ones I like "this works" ones

notjustamummythankyou Wed 22-Aug-12 18:41:54

I second True Grace candles - have been buying them for years, and love them!

Have also noticed just today that True Grace has paired up with Mary Portas to create a special range for House of Fraser

Oh and agree about looking in TK Maxx. I picked up a lovely candle for £7 ish which was down from £30. Bargainous.

pottytraininghell Wed 22-Aug-12 19:43:47

White Company candles are gorgeous.... I never have a Christmas without there winter one. £20 & it lasts ages..

GillyChick Tue 30-Jul-13 16:41:15

The closest candle I found is by Sandy Bay - Pomegranate Rouge and available through QVC. Great Value

CerealMom Tue 30-Jul-13 17:11:59

Neal's Yard - don't leave black soot marks

Bamford (Daylesford Organic)

Neom

True Grace

eurochick Tue 30-Jul-13 17:15:53

I like the White Company and Diptyque too.

dontyouwantmebaby Tue 30-Jul-13 17:26:48

waitrose sell some lovely candles for about 6/7 they are long lasting and have great scent, not artificial.

would also love to see the thread about making your own candles, sounds fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now