Your bargain cheap skincare & cosmetic products that ARE better than expensive posh products

(88 Posts)
Chicinwellies Wed 28-Sep-11 13:40:41

and with that I dont mean something on promotion at the moment, I mean something cheap/high st that really for you is worth its weight in gold.

For me it is Sainsburys own Honey Shampoo & Conditioner, I wouldnt be without it. Beats Kerastase hands down.

ZacharyQuack Wed 21-Nov-12 00:50:45

Revlon lippies and their new eyeshadow quads are good too.

brighthair Wed 21-Nov-12 03:55:41

I am make up obsessed blush in fact you could scatter my ashes in Selfridges beauty department

Sleek eyeshadow palettes are great, really pigmented
Fyrianne eyeshadows and their pixie epoxy - the latter turns shadows into molten metal type, and sticks glitter and loose pigment down
I couldn't be without urban decay potion primer, I know it's not cheap but it is cost effective as you only need a teeny bit and cheap eyeshadow lasts over the top of it
L'oreal ever pure shampoo and conditioner is the best I've used on my curly dry hair
ELF HD powder is a great silica based one
Soap and glory clean on me body wash seems to help my upper arm bumps
Not really beauty (maybe?!) but if you have clothes with sweaty smell that won't come out, soak them in napisan and wash with powder but no fabric conditioner. Smell gone, clothes as new grin

Aquelven Wed 21-Nov-12 04:10:21

Couple of Boots cheapies but goodies that I wouldn't be without.

Boots Essentials Fragrance Free Eye Makeup remover. Only £1.50 & even often on 3 for 2.
Boots Traditional Cold Cream £2.42 for a huge pot, great cleanser, I remove it with a hot cloth ( baby muslins from the supermarket, cheap as chips for a big pack). Far cheaper & just as good as Liz Earle.

faustina Wed 21-Nov-12 06:47:33

vaseline as an eye treatment - put it on just before you go to sleep. It really works!

Elemental Wed 21-Nov-12 10:53:17

I am a total lipstick junkie, but current favourite is Natural Collection in Cedar - good pigment, smooth, lovely colour.

Djembe Wed 21-Nov-12 11:43:15

Nivea blue tub basic thick moisturiser as overnight face treatment.
MUA lipstick - shade 11 is a perfect neutral and moisturising too.
Coconut oil for hair treatment.
Barbara Daly at Tesco 'Face Lift' foundation.

trixie123 Wed 21-Nov-12 14:57:58

Boots Oil of evening primrose moisturiser. V cheap, one pot lasts forever and I've been using it for about 20 years. Every now and again I would change to clinique or something, and it was just never as good.

BobblyGussets Wed 21-Nov-12 15:10:18

Primark Tea tree oil facial cleansing wipes. £1 for 50. They smell tea tree-y and clean and do the job fine.

Paintyourbox Wed 21-Nov-12 16:24:10

I love Aloe Vera gel with tea tree (Holland and Barrett sell it), great for spots, burns, bites, shaving rashes, allergic rashes, sunburn, anything really!

Tried all kinds of body creams and my current fave is Garnier intensive 7 days lotion for very dry skin. It has Shea butter in it, sinks on easily and lasts all day. It's cheaper than body shop body butters (which I love also!) and lacks the greasy skin feeling that you get with some others.

Nivea Q10 hand cream (yellow tube) is my fave hand cream by far (have tried Elemis, L'Occitane etc).

Also think Montagne Jeunesse cucumber peel off mask is way better than any other treatment mask for oily skin. Costs a bargainous 99p per sachet and you get the satisfaction of peeling it off!

KittieCat Thu 22-Nov-12 00:33:16

Thank you all for your ideas.

Only addition from me is Dr Bronner's castille liquid soaps as a face cleanser. They're fab, haven't had a spot in ages and a bottle lasts forever.

dogrilla Thu 22-Nov-12 07:23:50

Can't believe no one's done the aspirin mask! Crush up a couple of aspirin with a drop of water, mix to a paste, then leave on your face until dry. Absolutely amazing for breakouts, clears the complexion like nothing else and leaves skin really, really soft. A packet of aspirin is pretty much the cheapest thing in Boots as well, which is even better.

JemimaPuddle Thu 22-Nov-12 07:37:35

Superdrug Vitamin E all over body cream is my best friend.

^
I have tried loads of different body lotions but always come back to this, it's gorgeous & so cheap!

JosMorgan Tue 22-Jan-13 10:40:58

I know this is an old post, but I am looking for recommendations for discount online beauty sites, do such sites exist?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now