Are Barbour jackets worth the price?

(41 Posts)
countrylassie Tue 19-Jul-11 20:38:30

Ok so I know they are very cliche nowadays and people tend to only have them because they want to be 'in fashion' or because they are 'horsey' people but I really want one. My jacket of choice is the 'Kate Utility jacket' in olive. www.barbourbymail.co.uk/Barbour-Ladies-Kate-Jacket.html Ever since I saw it I have been captivated by it but it is just soo expensive. I have hunted high and low for a 'replica' or 'similar' jacket that's cheaper to no avail. So have come here for some advice from you lovely ladies about the best course of action. Are they worth it? After all, I DO live in Scotland deep in the countryside where the winters are like the Arctic. What makes things worse is that I keep seeing numerous Barbour jackets on the t.v. which makes me want it even more! Please give me some advice ladies before I go insane! Thanks.

dexter73 Tue 19-Jul-11 20:57:26

I love Barbours and have a few. I go to the outlet at Gunwharf Quays Portsmouth. You could try ringing them to see if they have the coat you like as they will post it to you if you are not near them.

MitchiestInge Tue 19-Jul-11 20:59:45

Even my newish Barbour has gone a bit skanky, they have that distinctive smell! I think I might try a Drizabone this year, never had a truly waterproof barbour yet.

MitchiestInge Tue 19-Jul-11 21:02:08

drizabone are they a bit cheaper too?

chipstick10 Tue 19-Jul-11 21:05:19

They are very slim fitting and if you have big boobs they are not very comfy imo. I hate mine.

MrsSchadenfreude Tue 19-Jul-11 21:08:32

Mine is 25 years old and still going strong. It replaced one of similar vintage which got nicked from my car (it was handed down to me, I'm not (quite) that old). I am porky with big boobs and mine is fine - just make sure you get one that is cut to fit you properly before you buy it.

If it goes skanky, you need to have it rewaxed.

BikeRunSki Tue 19-Jul-11 21:14:30

My mum's must be over 20 years old. You need to look after them - reproof every so often, but they do seem to last. She (and I) are norky too.

I have the black waxed ladies biker Barbour which DH gave me for Christmas last year. I love it although I wouldn't have chosen it by myself. It gets loads of compliments too - really a surprising number of random strangers saying what a nice jacket! But it isn't warm at all, waterproof, windproof but not warm and yes, very slim fitting - I have minimal boobs so it's fine for me smile

higgle Tue 19-Jul-11 22:40:22

I have two, one 27 years old and still perfect condition, and one I got last year which is more fitted. Not real bad weather wear but I did wear mine nearly every day last winter. They are really good value on a cost per weear basis. DH has two old ones and I generally TWOC one of his if I'm going somewhere muddy/doggy /horsey.

chipstick10 Tue 19-Jul-11 23:14:04

I forgot to add as well as hating mine, i feel i look like Camilla Parker Bowels when im wearing it.

TeacupTempest Wed 20-Jul-11 13:34:45

I have the Kate jacket. I love it. I am a country girl though and I think they warm, practical, hard wearing (if looked after) and age well.....

Gillybobs Wed 20-Jul-11 14:43:04

I'm well aware it wont be the same quality but Ive just bought this from ebay and I kid you not I am over the moon with it. Looks fantastic on. Bargain

archanat10 Wed 20-Jul-11 14:43:10

Honestly, i don't like it. Its not worth it for me.
check out
http://ow.ly/5IZxS -Banana Republic
http://ow.ly/5IZHg -Debenhams
http://ow.ly/5IZZR -TUCCI

nicole333 Wed 20-Jul-11 15:32:04

What do you all think of the quality of the zips? I've tried several different styles on over the last year and each one of them had a really crappy zip that didn't want to latch.

It's really put me off and I really need something like a Barbour, as I'm always out in the forest etc with the dog.

archanat10 Wed 20-Jul-11 15:35:09

Oh! i never had such a problem though

I love mine. I'm norky too and it fits beautifully. I got mine from the outlet in Gunwharf.

I have a quilted one and it is fab, works well on an hourglass shape and machine washable.

Has already been worth the money for me, wore it loads last winter.

dexter73 Wed 20-Jul-11 16:10:47

Never had a problem with the zips on mine.

ristretto Wed 20-Jul-11 17:00:55

I have a black Barbour "International" jacket Product Code - 004954 and I love it to bits. where it is wearing slightly is actually looks really quite cool. I wear it with a hat as it has no hood

countrylassie Wed 20-Jul-11 22:33:45

Thanks everyone. Your help has been wonderful. Glad to see that most of you are pleased with your Barbour purchases and that a few of you are more towards the 'normal' spectrum size wise. It puts my mind at ease that the jackets are a worthwhile purchase and that you don't have to be a 'skinny minnie' to pull them off with style. I will definitly be considering one for the Winter season. smile

countrylassie Wed 20-Jul-11 22:38:22

Gillybobs I saw that jacket on Ebay and seriously considered it but was worried about whether it may be a scam or very low quality product despite looking great...just seemed too good to be true for the price. Which colour is it you have? Does it fit nicely?

countrylassie Wed 20-Jul-11 22:41:24

archanat10 I was interested to see the links that you posted but they dont seem to be working. I might be doing something wrong??? i just copied and pasted them into the url. If it's not me could you perhaps post them again or give me product description or something. Any ideas for alternatives to the Barbour are very welcome. smile

countrylassie Wed 20-Jul-11 22:46:10

TeacupTempest Great to hear that you have the Kate jacket. I have scoured the internet for reviews on it but cannot find any. Did you just order your normal size or a size up/down? I am not sure of the fit of the jackets and I am in between a size 10 and 12 so not sure what to go for. I'm a D cup so shouldnt have too much problem with the boob area. Just thought I'd ask as the Kate is one of the more 'fitted' Barbours.

archanat10 Thu 21-Jul-11 07:58:50

Hey, they just work fine for me. You copy them and paste them on the address bar.
Or otherwise just check-
Heritage hooded utility jacket @BANANA REPUBLIC
Light cream short petite parka jacket @DEBENHAMS
Firetrap Womens Attack Black Trench Jacket @TUCCI

ristretto Thu 21-Jul-11 08:03:16

My jacket is quite fitted. I have a 14 but I am more like a size 16 with big boobs atm, it still fits me! I'd be cautious of upsizing.

madammecholet Thu 21-Jul-11 08:26:40

I've got the Ladies International jacket too, tis ver ver lovely. Its a year old and looks better than when I bought it now! smile

carciofi Thu 21-Jul-11 08:35:03

I bought the Barbour Kate recently. I got my usual size 12 and it is a good fit. I wouldn't size up. It's not overly warm but it is great for this rainy July we are having.

Gillybobs Thu 21-Jul-11 12:52:06

countrylassie - I bought the black and its really nice on, true to size and nicely finished. Havent worn it yet so cant comment on durability but in all honesty I think it will be just the ticket for the Autumn.

NumptyMum Fri 05-Aug-11 23:20:51

I've just found this thread as I'm wondering about getting a Barbour too - am intrigued by the Elveden Square jacket from Ebay as I've googled Elveden Square and absolutely NOTHING turns up...? Makes me v suspicious, but perhaps they are known as something else. Anyone got more info? Otherwise I'll think on about the Barbour. At the mo I've got an aging goretex jacket that will need replacing soon. I really do want something waterproof as I live in Scotland and we're not short of rain in my area; I'm worried the Barbour might be too heavy/hot for what I want but I can never find a nice/stylish Goretex (major gap in the market there!!)...

upahill Sat 06-Aug-11 10:23:56

I have two
http://www.barbourbymail.co.uk/Barbour-New-Ladies-Flyweight-International-Quilt-J.html in red
and http://www.johnlewis.com/252241/Product.aspx

They are flippin gorgeous and flattering.
The second I wear to work sometimes with a shirt and swirly skirt and boots and looks brilliant and it's warm.

The fisrt one looks great with jeans and high shoes/boots.

Definatly a good buy and I haven't been near a horse in 2 decades!!!

NumptyMum Sat 06-Aug-11 12:07:15

Hi upahill - is the John Lewis Barbour a waterproof one? I see it's described as being waxed, I hadn't looked at the quilted jackets at all thinking that none of them were waterproof...

noddyholder Sat 06-Aug-11 12:09:20

Belstaff more flattering on me I have boobs!

twinklypearls Sat 06-Aug-11 12:12:46

I have a tradition quilted Barbour and I love it even with my big boobs. It suits a curvy figure and can be adjusted at the waist. It is perhaps a little heavy, especially when done up.

I am neither posh nor horsey and not particularly fashionable.

Mirage Sat 06-Aug-11 13:27:03

I've got the same Elvedon jacket that Gillybobs has.I bought mine from a gamefair 2 years ago and love it.It gets a lot of complimentary comments and is wearing well qualitywise.I'm an outdoors person and live in the sticks,so it has had heavy wear.

Mirage Sat 06-Aug-11 13:28:44

Blimey! Just seen the price on ebay.Mine was £29.99! Go to any country fair/event and you'll find stalls of them,much cheaper.

lachesis Sat 06-Aug-11 13:45:34

I prefer LLBean jackets for that price.

Muckyhighchair Sat 06-Aug-11 14:07:06

Caldeane have some really nice waxy jackets got mine for 20 lots of compliants too

Although it is a horsey make, I wear mine around town etc

http://www.caldene.co.uk/index.aspx

Have a look on eBay for last winters models, I like their a bit nicer than this years

upahill Sat 06-Aug-11 14:50:54

Hi Numpty Not sure about waterproof.
They are certainly shower proof.
The two that I have are really flattering and warm!

NumptyMum Sun 07-Aug-11 07:34:32

Thanks for all the input everyone! I don't mind horsey-style (always makes me think of Jilly Cooper grin) but really do need waterproof, it's raining in sheets today! Will check out Elveden again then... thanks for the tip, Mirage.

Thumbwitch Sun 07-Aug-11 07:42:05

I had a few barbouresque jackets which I loved, but never the real deal. They lasted pretty well even for cheapo replicas - but the first one I had was the best, as well as the outer 4 pockets, it had 2 poacher's pockets inside and an inside breast pocket. I loved that jacket! Was very sad when it finally got too manky to be seen in public anywhere other than at my friend's yard. sad

I tended to buy men's ones rather than fitted ladies' ones though.

Thumbwitch Sun 07-Aug-11 07:43:50

Oops, should probably have mentioned that I meant the wax jackets, not the Puffa style quilted jobs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now