Emu oil? anyone tried it?

(14 Posts)
amberleaf Sun 22-May-11 08:00:37

Has anyone tried Emu oil?

Please share your experiences good and bad.

Have been looking at it on Ebay and it sounds great, just wondering if its true or is it too good to be true!

Finallygotaroundtoit Sun 22-May-11 09:03:10

Wassit do? Make nice roast spuds?

DuchessEm Sun 22-May-11 09:04:15

My Grandma used to use this, and to be honest it did absolutely nothing!! It was her fail-safe for every ailment. Of course, the sellers on ebay would probably say she was using and inferior product. May be she was, but whatever it was she used she would have probably had the same effect with olive oil!

Sorry to be negative, but I wouldn't want you to waste your money!

amberleaf Sun 22-May-11 09:09:17

Finallygot Well im not so sure about the spuds!

Have a look at this link;

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350461629893&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

DuchessEm Thank you! dont apologise for being negative! I would rather hear honest opinions.....Did your Grandma think it worked?

DuchessEm Sun 22-May-11 09:16:41

amberleaf - well, I think she was an eternal optimist and she lived in hope that it would eventually help her!! grin She had parkinsons and used it to help with hair loss (no change at all), joint pain (no change) and skin dryness (no change!), but I think it helped in that she thought she was doing something rather than just letting it all happen to her! She used it before the Parkinsons too, but again I think it was more of a placebo effect. I suppose if you think it is doing something then it is a help, but it is expensive, so you have to weigh up the advantages.

amberleaf Sun 22-May-11 09:22:29

Aah bless her!

Maybe i will get some Shea butter instead.

TBH the thought of oil from an Emu is a bit hmm

DuchessEm Sun 22-May-11 10:45:11

grin

mittenkitten007 Sun 22-May-11 11:55:26

Eh, well, I have to be the contrarian here and say I use & like emu oil. I find myself following a lot of the advice on the Skin Biology site and got my latest emu oil from Emu Oil Well. Their shampoo / conditioner is definitely moisturizing my hair.

I don't really think it's any weirder than a lot of the cosmetics oils / moisturizers out there, TBH (once you find out where some of THEM come from, ugh.)

amberleaf Sun 22-May-11 18:32:04

Thank you mitten

Im keeping an open mind. Im gonna read those links.

Do you only use it in shampoo/conditioner? or any other way?

mittenkitten007 Sun 22-May-11 21:27:22

I have the pure emu oil too and use it as a moisturizer when I just want something really neutral and gentle. Going to try the capsules when I run out of my current batch of Boots fish oil capsules, too.

amberleaf Fri 10-Jun-11 10:24:55

When you say you're going to try the capsules do you mean taking them orally?

What are the benefits of that?

also what does it smell like?

Thanks

Hullygully Fri 10-Jun-11 10:26:27

I prefer cassowary oil.

FIFIBEBE Fri 10-Jun-11 18:59:20

I use Margaret Dabbs foot care products which contain emu oil. Best thing for dry heel IMO. Oil seems to sink in really quickly.

GardenChic Fri 19-Aug-16 12:01:44

We bought some at a Flower show yesterday, now I am reading how bad this if for EMu sad and I am wondering if its just the essential oils in the e balm that are doing the trick, always up for the protection of animals, but need to know more before I start saying its wrong to use EMU oil. Goosefat has been used for years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now