Why are hairdressers not competant with curly/wavy hair?

(87 Posts)
colditz Thu 31-Mar-11 12:28:08

Every single time I go to the hairdresser, I end up saying

"Don't do that, it pulls the curl out!" (drying with flat brush and hairdryer) or

"Please don't put that on my hair because it makes it lank" (silicone crap) or

"If you carry on running your hands through my hair like a rake I'm going to end up with flat roots and a ball of fluff at the end, and I won't be pleased"

I've had 2 inches off my shoulder length layered shaggy cut today, I walked in with bouncy curls and have walked out with some hair curly, some almost straight, flat at the roots and feeling greasy.

I don't thik I could do that to my hair if I tried, what the fuck do they do to it?

Sillybillypoopoomummy Thu 06-Feb-14 20:10:12

Yes please makemine!

Does anyone know what tools I'd need to get my 3a spirals into just waves, heated rollers? I really haven't a clue!

Beautybymums Sat 26-Apr-14 14:46:38

I have straightened my hair for years until I found Jay. She trained in NY at Devachon Salon and she is phenominal. I don't really know what to say- she tells you how to really take care of it-doesnt 'sell products' to you but quite the opposite. Best advice is to go as natural as possible. It takes time to cut but I will never change hairdressers again for as long as she about. She has a facebook page open now so can be easily contacted as I may have mentioned before its a nightmare getting her to answer the phone. Im hoping she opens a salon in London soon. Would be fantastic as long as her prices don't change either :P
her facebook page is JiJi Curlsbefree.

TheDayOfMyDoctor Sat 26-Apr-14 14:53:25

My (bald and male hairdresser) is great with curly hair. I went through a lot of hairdressers before finding him. Also in Edinburgh!

printmeanicephoto Sat 26-Apr-14 17:26:44

Any "good with curly hair" hairdressers in Leeds? Please help. Curly hair lass here who has always struggled. I want easy maintenance!

Scarletohello Sat 26-Apr-14 20:23:38

You need to go to Matthew James in Birmingham. He trained for ten years in New York with the woman who wrote the Curly Girl Handbook. I saw him last year and it totally changed my hair! Firstly he cut it dry, not wet as that it how your hair looks naturally. Secondly he showed me what products to use and how to dry it to make the most if the curls.

However the most useful advice of all was to stop using products with sulphates and silicones as they totally dry out the hair and curly hair needs more moisture. He recommended the Body Shop Rainforest range which I've been using and my hair is in the best condition it's ever been! There's also a range specifically designed for curly hair called Devacurl which is only available on Amazon. Not tried it yet but will do when my current products run out.

HTH

Chocolategirl7 Sat 26-Apr-14 21:19:36

I have similar frizzy curly hair which is is really dry. I never 'love' it when the hairdresser does it but once I've done it myself (using diffuser) it's great.

My hairdresser has curly hair too but cuts it specially for curls. She kinds of twirls bits and cuts it on the diagonal. She's always nervous of taking length out and I have to persuade her that it'll be fine as when it gets longer there's a tendency for my to look witchy.

She's outside of Winchester if anyone looking in this area.

Mine's great, she always uses curly shampoo and conditioner on me, and curl friendly (no silicone) products, she agrees totally that they are no good for the hair. She does a really good scrunch dry on it, or a lovely bouncy blowdry if that's what I want (I usually go with the scrunch) and cuts it really well. Her hair is poker straight, but she really gets mine.

Scarletohello Sat 26-Apr-14 21:50:53

This is part of an interview with my fab curly hair hairdresser. Have recommended him on MN and people who have seen him have raved about him. He has a long waiting list for appointments and even had people travelling as far as Spain to see him..!

www.britishcurlies.co.uk/articles/article/in_conversation_with_british_curl_stylist_matthew_james_part_2/

Meglet Fri 13-Jun-14 19:38:18

yes I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but there's loads of good into on here

waaaaahhh, I had a new lady cut my hair today, the lad who usually does it was on hols. No I don't want layers because it makes the shorter length ping up and the longer length stays straighter because the weight of the hair pulls it down. I explained this twice, I thought she understood.

She cut long layers into it and now it looks shite angry. My wavy / curly hair can hold a long bob, it's not a long bob, I feel like one of Bon Jovi may be exaggerating a bit.

Now I have to find a different hairdresser to sort the ends out and bring it back to one length. It's long so plenty of length to play with but all the same I'd rather not have to get it sorted.

Beautybymums Sat 14-Jun-14 18:11:43

I see a mobile hairdresser that is fantastic. Shes so busy so appointments are hard but really worth checking her out. Shes a hidden gem in london. She my hair dry and curl by curl cuts dry and now looks freakin fab. Her name is Jay 07517441080.

I would not trust anyone else with my hair anymore. shes got loads of reviews on hmumsnet and british curlies aswell.

Hallybear Sat 25-Oct-14 12:28:24

Hi makemineamango. I realise it's been a long time since your post in 2011 about a great hairdresser in Cambridge for curly hair... but i would love to know the name as I am desperate after so many bad cuts!. Could you help me out?. many thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now