What shampoo for a pre-teen with greasy hair?

(14 Posts)
NorbertDentressangle Mon 28-Mar-11 18:58:26

DD is 11 and suffering badly from greasy hair.

She has to wash it every other day (and TBH even the day after she's washed it , it already looks really greasy).

The hairdresser mentioned Paul Mitchell Baby Don't Cry but I can just see ££££££s disappearing down the plug-hole as I'm a bit cynical about some of these brands that they only sell at the hairdressers. Has anyone used it for this problem and does it work?

We tried one I saw recommended on here (Herbal Essences one in a green bottle -pineapple and something?) but it didn't really help.

Can anyone recommend a good one thats kind on childrens hair but will also help with the greasiness please?

Thanks

dd uses Tesco brand tea tree , seems ok.

stylenotfashion Mon 28-Mar-11 19:07:26

I've tried lots and I've found the best is Head & Shoulders for Greasy hair. It doesn't strip the hair so still looks shiny and find it on offer in the supermarket and it's even better value.

tibni Mon 28-Mar-11 19:14:18

dd has the same problem and we tried everything to no avail, even just washed it looked lank.

Then I discovered the body shop Rainforest Balance Shampoo and conditioner and her hair looks fab. www.thebodyshop.co.uk/_en/_gb/catalog/product.aspx?ParentCatCode=C_Hair&CatCode=C_Hair_Shampoo&prdcode=84993m

NorbertDentressangle Mon 28-Mar-11 19:20:54

tibni -has she been using it long? Its just that sometimes the problem can come back after a while. Its as if the hair gets used to the shampoo IYSWIM

tibni Mon 28-Mar-11 21:00:46

She has been using it for about a month.

A friends dh had opposite problem of dry / itchy scalp and it was her that recommended the bodyshop range as it was the only product that worked for him. Dd had tried Boots, Head and Shoulders and Alberto Balsom as well as supermarket brands. dd has curly hair so needs it cleaned without harshness as her hair is prone to being dry at the ends.

JemimaMop Mon 28-Mar-11 21:03:21

Body Shop Ice Blue Shampoo is brilliant, I used to have really greasy hair at that age and it was the only thing that sorted it out.

chocolatespiders Mon 28-Mar-11 23:41:17

I use the head and shoulders one for greasy hair. its the best i have found . But will try the body shop ones for a change

Mamaz0n Mon 28-Mar-11 23:52:32

get a cheapo supermarket own brand shampoo.
Then a better shampoo and conditioner designed for greasy hair.

wash first with the cheapo shampoo as this will remove any residue from the brand shampoo. it helps the hair not to build up any of the chemicals or what have you.

then wash with the proper shampoo. use conditioner but only on the lower 3rd of her hair, not her scalp.

it is what i do as i also have horribly greasy hair. This method leaves my hair shiney and clean looking for up to 4 days. otherwise i have to wash it every day

chunkybum Tue 29-Mar-11 00:26:33

you could try gradually extending the time between washes and the hair will get used to producing less oils. I did this and now i can go 4-5 days between washes.
I had the problem of greasy roots but with dry ends.
also LUSH shampoo bars are fab an so gentle that you dont need conditioner, they cost about 3 quid and last for about 80 washed.
I am a convert, my friend works for lust and did a seller on me, i wasnt convinced so she gave me a sample.
Now i would not use anything else

Biblia Tue 29-Mar-11 00:31:29

Do not use expensive shampoos as they often contain silicone which are great for dry or treated hair but will slick a greasy head.

Like Mamz0n said a cheap one, followed by a nice conditioner on the ends will do the trick.

NorbertDentressangle Tue 29-Mar-11 08:36:55

Thanks everyone.

I might start by buying a Body Shop one for her to try as we've already tried the cheaper supermarket ones and I don't fancy the idea of Head and Shoulders on a childs hair as it seems so harsh (eg.its often recommended for stripping colour dye out of hair if you have a colour disaster.

I used to use the Lush shampoo bars years ago and they were good actually so I might also go and see what they do in that range now.

I just hope that DDs oily hair isn't followed by oily skin problems....argh ....pre-teen hormones

tibni Tue 29-Mar-11 09:10:47

In my local bodyshop they only had the range of silicone free Rainforest products (it is only a small shop)

dd does not have to wash her hair so often now and the overall condition is so much better.

A lot of her friends use the dry shampoo products between washes, dd used to but doesn't need them now she is using the body shop range. So far dd skin is ok, hope that is stays that way!

PorkChopSter Tue 29-Mar-11 09:17:24

Dry shampoo, Batiste is great for in between washes - or put it on as soon as hair is dry after it's been washed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now