Best semi permanent hair dye?

(13 Posts)
sparklingchampagne Sat 26-Mar-11 19:59:57

I'm not due to have my hair coloured for another month, but I'm going to London in the meantime and need to 'pep up' my colour (and cover the greys blush)
What the best semi permanent to use - I am dark brown with a slight reddy tinge!

ThisFeelsWeird Sat 26-Mar-11 20:53:38

I like Nice 'N Easy Root Touch-up - medium brown (number 5) should do you for the roots.

applecrumbleandcream Sat 26-Mar-11 21:23:09

I've started using Lloreal Castings Creme Gloss in chocolate Brownie - it sounds just the colour you're after. It is also great for covering greys and leaves hair really glossy.

MmeLindt Sat 26-Mar-11 21:24:49

I use Casting Creme Gloss too, in blonde tone. Really like it, it looks very natural.

jellybeans Sat 26-Mar-11 21:29:56

Lush Henna caca brun.

ChupaChups Sat 26-Mar-11 21:47:27

Nice n Easy is fab. Bought 2 for £5.99 in Superdrug today and if I fill in an online questionnaire and produce my receipt next time I get 25% off my next shop...

TattyDevine Sat 26-Mar-11 21:54:51

Dont use Henna if you are going to the hairdresser to have "normal" colour any time in the near future. Its not good to chop and change, they can react and give all sorts of results. They are good as an alternative to traditional dyes though.

Casting Cream Gloss is good but has a lot of peroxide (due to the fact they dont contain ammonia). This in itself isn't necessarily a reason not to use them but they can be quite hard on the hair.

Nice and Easy is a boring middle aged brand that needs a serious marketing injection to make it more appealing but the colours are spot on, and you just can't go wrong with them. They make colour matching easy but describing the colour accurately without the use of descriptive food words or holiday destination words (!) - they do what they say on the tin.

The root touch up product is brilliant and would do the job in the meantime.

ForShizzle Sun 27-Mar-11 09:33:31

Sorry to hijack, but does anyone know which semi-perm is kindest to your hair?

I had very bleached blonde hair, and put casting creme in mahogany over over the top. I'm really happy with the red colour, but my hair feels like straw until it washes out a bit...

jellybeans Sun 27-Mar-11 13:42:37

Henna is great for conditioning if you have dark or red hair with not too much greys (the greys go a blondey bronze colour), makes the hair very shiney. Agree with the poster who says that don't use henna if you may want to use bleach etc in the future as it is hard to dye over Henna. I recommend it though and it does cover greys well, needs doing about every 5-6 weeks.

sparklingchampagne Sun 27-Mar-11 17:15:07

Thanks everyone
I used to use henna from the Bodyshop, but they've stopped doing it now. Didn't realise Luch did Henna, so I will get some from there

Gingefringe Sun 27-Mar-11 17:31:47

After doing my own hair dyeing for years (and having some horrendous results) I have found Clairol Nice & Easy by far the best because the colour you get is sort of tonal (rather than one block of colour), doesn't fade or affect the condition of my hair and also covers grey really well. The shade I like best is shade number 112A (I thinks it's called dark reddish brown) which sounds as though it might also do for you.
In between I use their root touch up which is also excellent.
By the way thanks, Chuba for the note about the Superdrug offer - I'll be there to get some tomorrow morning!

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sun 27-Mar-11 21:42:56

Nice & Easy is permanent, isn't it? Or do they do SP colours now?

Gingefringe Sun 27-Mar-11 22:29:44

Think Nice&Easy do both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now