How to avoid Boden, Joules, Fat Face and White Stuff

(95 Posts)
NotAnotherChinHair Wed 10-Nov-10 17:15:53

I like a lot of stuff in those shops although I am starting to dislike Boden and Joules as all the mums at the playgroud wear something from there. Today I even saw the headteacher wearing a Boden coat. I just find it a bit offputting but I do like their stuff, although not everything. So anyway, where does one go for alternatives? Specifically I am looking for a mini for myself that isn't too much of a mini (I am 40) if that makes any sense. Thank you!

bettymoody Wed 10-Nov-10 17:17:51

WHITE stuff is the worst offender imo.
i like pLAIN Stuff from kew - their skirts are ace can be VV short or knee lenght
GAP for Jeans/ tops
the odd knit from marks ( increasingly less)

H and M for accessories , although KEw belts take some beating.

Quodlibet Wed 10-Nov-10 17:18:51

Cos?
French Connection?
Whistles?
Reiss?
Urban Outfitters?

bettymoody Wed 10-Nov-10 17:19:42

FC too young i find #gimmer

bettymoody Wed 10-Nov-10 17:19:54

KNitwear is my big prob

NotAnotherChinHair Wed 10-Nov-10 17:24:21

The Soft Cord Knee Skirt from Kew is great, now I'd like to find a cheaper equivalent...

bettymoody Wed 10-Nov-10 17:27:37

yes
ebay are good
i got my best ever one ( wool kew min) from there for £4

bettymoody Wed 10-Nov-10 17:29:49
sarah293 Wed 10-Nov-10 17:30:27

Message withdrawn

HalfTermHero Wed 10-Nov-10 17:36:26

Riv is right. Quite often some decent bits in sainsbo. They have had some reasonably priced Khaki/camel utility style knits and houli-likies styles of late.

Beyond that, Topshop is rather fabulous smile

traceybath Wed 10-Nov-10 17:43:48

You see I think the odd thing from boden is fine and I do like their knitwear.

Brora sale very good for cashmere. M&S also good for cashmere.

Otherwise just look in the usual suspects of kew/jigsaw/whistles but only if you're a pear/top shop/gap/oasis etc.

I think as long as you're not head to toe from any one shop its fairly easy to look stylish.

Oh and new look/h&m for cheaper bits and bobs.

flyingzebra Wed 10-Nov-10 17:46:08
pointydog Wed 10-Nov-10 17:48:01

Why don't you have a look round a department store like debenhams and see what brand you like in there?

I am v into ben de lisi for priciples just now.

traceybath Wed 10-Nov-10 17:49:52

Jigsaw have some lovely velvet and wool mini-skirts in that aren't a-line. Quite £££ though.

Jajas Wed 10-Nov-10 17:53:19

Kew is dull imo.

Love White Stuff but wish no-one else knew about it.

I'm in a mixture of plain Boden and Next today, nothing too obvious floral or brightly patterned though.

Want to like Toast but god their stuff is stuffy grin and unbelievably expensive!

White Company has some lovely things but again bit on the old expensive side.

What about All Saints? Hilariously trendy.

Fenn Wright Manson and Phase Eight all nice but mark you out as of a certain age

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Wed 10-Nov-10 17:56:54

I seem to be on a mailing list for Ladies 30+ With Money To Burn - Toast, Brora and the like.

I had a lovely catalogue through recently but I'll be buggered if I can remember who it was from.

I like a lot of Great Plains though.

traceybath Wed 10-Nov-10 17:58:30

Yes I don't really get toast. Just so expensive for such droopy clothes.

pointydog Wed 10-Nov-10 17:59:30

I don't think a brand marks you as a particular age . I think it's the overall look. SO maybe if everything you wore was pahse 8 or whatever but not a skirt or top here ansd there.

pointydog Wed 10-Nov-10 18:00:11

Used to like Great Plains but not seen anything there I like in ages.

traceybath Wed 10-Nov-10 18:02:20

I think its more that certain brands cut/design for certain shapes/sizes. Whistles definitely designs for pear shapes - as a short apple I can never find anything in there that suits me.

Jajas Wed 10-Nov-10 18:09:10

Yes bizarrely Jane Norman blush fits me perfectly as I'm a skinny midget but you wouldn't find me dead in their stuff as so hideously cheap and cheerful.

Hush has some nice casual stuff but limited selection and that model is too bleddy gorgeous for her own good envy.

How about Mint Velvet? Love their clothes.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Wed 10-Nov-10 18:09:22

Oh! Oh! Oh!

It was Wrap

Pannacotta Wed 10-Nov-10 18:16:01

I'm not keen on any of those shops either.

But as an apple nearing 40 I do struggle to find nice clothes which fit me....

Agree with Jajas - love Mint Velvet. Some people however <hard stare at betty> think that their clothes are too grey wink. I do not subscribe to that though grin

Jajas Wed 10-Nov-10 18:25:48

Yes there is definitely a nod towards grey silver!

MrsVincentPrice Wed 10-Nov-10 18:27:31

Gap's got some nice cord semi-minis in at the mo, and 30% off vouchers this week.

notyummy Wed 10-Nov-10 18:27:32

Phase Eight has some GREAT stuff in this season - although I realise up until now it a slight 'mother of the bride' whiff about it. They must have a new design team.

Seriously worth a look.

Otherwise Warehouse, H & M and ASOS all worth a peek. Gap/Banana Republic as well - def now they do stuff online.

notyummy Wed 10-Nov-10 18:28:15

Am 38 btw, so simlar age to you.

pointydog Wed 10-Nov-10 18:30:56

Who designs well for an averge height, broad but not overweight apple, bath?

bettymoody Wed 10-Nov-10 18:53:24

agree some phase eight is ok
some a bit gin and jag and liek that bbc breakfast weatehr person

BelligerentGhoul Wed 10-Nov-10 18:58:48

The number of shops I see anything I like in seems to be decreasing by the week.

I still make occasional finds in:
Warehouse;
M&S Limited or Autograph;
Gap (used to like it but think it's getting worse and worse);
I like occasional bits in Hobbs nowadays but mostly too long and too expensive and a lot of it is horrible.

Other than basics like replacing knitwear and t-shirts, my plan is now largely to buy v little and just hit the Vivienne Westood sales once or twice a year.

traceybath Wed 10-Nov-10 19:04:18

Oh BG - talking of Viv - I'm liking this

Oh and bought a nice top in gap - in plum and its really nice and amazingly for gap has actually washed well.

pointydog Wed 10-Nov-10 19:04:32

I know fc is a bit odd and young (in an odd way) but I got a great neat little cardi and ruched grey top there recently.

And I love their jeans but they are so ridiculously long I have had to buy a pair of stilletto boots hmm

pointydog Wed 10-Nov-10 19:05:05

bath, where should an apple shop? Seriously

bettymoody Wed 10-Nov-10 19:05:30

dwarfy wink
i am a 33
their jeans are 32 and 34

pointydog Wed 10-Nov-10 19:07:51

The fc jeans I like are one size only and it must be 34. Maybe that's just the shops in scotlanf wink

traceybath Wed 10-Nov-10 19:09:17

Well I shop in lots of places but do like warehouse, new look, jigsaw, odd bits from boden and as BG said Anglomania is fab in the sales. You could get a dress for less than a £100 which is pretty much FC prices.

I also avoid anything belted as look like a sack of potatoes.

Oh and Compyoir good for neat fitting stuff.

traceybath Wed 10-Nov-10 19:09:38

I meant Comptoir obviously.

bettymoody Wed 10-Nov-10 19:10:08

i agree wiht tb again
i dont like belts or frills
i like plain

pointydog Wed 10-Nov-10 19:10:50

ok. I am going shopping soon

BelligerentGhoul Wed 10-Nov-10 19:18:28

Love that t-shirt Tracey. The dress would be fab on you, I'm sure - but it would make me look like like a deranged tomato!

readinginbed Wed 10-Nov-10 19:25:00

Oxfam - DKNY, Jill Sander etc for a fraction of the original price

Jajas Wed 10-Nov-10 19:27:44

gin and jag grin!

Pannacotta Wed 10-Nov-10 19:30:51

reading have you really found DKNY and Jill Sander in Oxfam?

pointydog Wed 10-Nov-10 19:31:58

She lives somewhere so posh event the charity shops are top notch wink.

Pannacotta Wed 10-Nov-10 19:34:18

I'd be delirious if our local chairty shops stocked those kinds of clothes, ours is mostly recycled Primarni, at the same price it woudl have cost new!

readinginbed Wed 10-Nov-10 19:37:38

Oxfam in Herne Hill, not posh just sarf London: DKNY once found, also Katharine Hamnet, but there's a great second hand shop in notting hill called Retro clothing where I've found lots of DKNY, and Jill Sander. Near tube stop. The hip sales assistants are a bit of a blow to the ego but worth it for the bargains

Meggles76 Wed 10-Nov-10 20:14:33

I tend to buy the following items from the following places

Boden - only for plain T-shirt tops and breton style tops
Monsoon - for cardigans and Jumpers
Next - for denim (mainly because I am short and their petite length is good for me)
Joules - for accessories - beads, scarves, gloves etc
Warehouse - for dresses, cardigans
M&S - for tights, vests and knickers and the vvery occasional bit of cashmere
Lands End - ONLY for duvet coats and gilets
H&M for accessories and T-shirts

bellylaugh Wed 10-Nov-10 20:17:32

I got a couple of nice bits from Joe Browns

Warehouse is great at the moment too, haven't shopped there for years

WhatsWrongWithYou Wed 10-Nov-10 20:36:45

Don't think anyone's mentioned esprit.

Can be quite dull but, a bit like gap, worth a look as you sometimes come across decent basics there, I find - like the look of their waxed jeans.

cubscout Thu 11-Nov-10 07:47:18

Don't think anyone has mentioned Mantaray at Debenhams? A bit White Sutffesque but less patterns, less recognisable and affordable.

LooL00 Thu 11-Nov-10 10:12:32

I'm thinking of the getting one of these

here

here

NotAnotherChinHair Thu 11-Nov-10 11:23:47

I have just bought the corduroy mini from Gap and it's great (30% off too). Loo, my skirt looks very similar to your second link; I'm just very dubious of La Redoute's quality, I think it has gone down massively in the last couple of years and garments look like they've been bought at a supermarket, only the fit and quality is even worse! (and I used to be a fan of them!).

WhatsWrongWithYou Thu 11-Nov-10 13:56:02

That reminds me, I bought this from Kew last weekend.

Really cute but struggled to find anything to go with, apart from a blueberry-coloured v-necked jumper, which is okay colour wise but rather dull.

Why don't shops stock stuff to go with other stuff?

dizzydeee Thu 11-Nov-10 15:17:25

well thanks MissB - just bought a gorgeous coat from Mint Velvet - hope it suits - and lets forget the silver..

<nods sagely>

Link please.

I should be on commission from MV. winkEvery time I wear something from there, people ask where it's from. I've converted 4 very stylish colleagues at work to MV and I love the MV stuff they buy too.

pointydog Thu 11-Nov-10 17:45:22

Is mint velvet only online? I like their stuff. What's their sizes like?

BelligerentGhoul Thu 11-Nov-10 17:50:44

Mint Velvet is in HOF.

Sizes - dresses tend to come up big on me so I sometimes need a ten (am really a 12)but t-shirts tend to need sizing up to allow for my norkage, so I usually buy a 14 and wear it a bit loose. I'd say it's a bit hit and miss tbh.

Shammalamma Thu 11-Nov-10 17:52:00

Mint velvet very hit and miss
quality suspect pricing random
knitwear tends to be a lot of manmade stuff for the price
i often like online and hate in store
AND GREY!

BelligerentGhoul Thu 11-Nov-10 20:02:12

Yes, agree that quality is also hit and miss. They seem to end up with a lot of 'damaged' stuff on the sale rails.

Maybe I just get lucky grin. Quality on the stuff I've bought is good. I did look at one cardi last summer though that was very crackly but that was about it.

TheBolter Thu 11-Nov-10 20:32:09

Oasis
Great Plains
Toast
Top Shop

All good shops but you have to pick carefully in all.

pointydog Thu 11-Nov-10 20:38:07

What is HOF?

BelligerentGhoul Thu 11-Nov-10 20:44:14

House of Fraser

pointydog Thu 11-Nov-10 20:51:01

aha

BikeRunSki Sun 14-Nov-10 16:45:13

Seasalt
Saltwater
Ness
Gul
Manta Ray at Debenhams
Mistral

thatsnotmyfruitshoot Sun 14-Nov-10 21:31:49

Ooh, thanks for the tip, I love the look of Mint Velvet- just spent £90 on the HOF site...
Can also recommend A/Wear - some lovely tops and dresses on that site.

Other than that, I shop at Great Plains, Autograph at M&S, some White Stuff (although it really is getting samey now), plainer Boden, higher end Zara, Warehouse, Gap etc.

I think there is a real gap in the market for well-made wearable clothes for those of us who are a bit old for Miss Selfridge and the like, a bit poor for designer things but also don't want to get our entire wardrobes from all the Fat Face cloney stores..

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Mon 15-Nov-10 10:06:21

I am very disappointed to hear that HOF has nothing to do with The Hof.

whoneedssleepanyway Mon 15-Nov-10 10:10:11

Can someone enlighten me what is wrong with White Stuff, don't have anything from there but went there with DH on Saturday and he bought me this to give me for Christmas, looked lovely over leggings...

Rhian82 Mon 15-Nov-10 10:50:04

I love White Stuff, I'm 28 and seems to suit me, but no one I know shops there so I don't get this 'everyone in same clothes' thing. (Though DS isn't in school yet, so don't see all the other mums…) I don't have much from there though as it's a bit out of my price range, sales only!

Mantaray is also v v nice though pricey. DH loves their men's stuff.

Jajas Mon 15-Nov-10 12:33:12

Nothing wrong with White Stuff at all, I love it. Unfortunately easily identifiable like certain things from Next or Boden so think that's probably why it gets knocked a bit on here.

I don't care though cos it is nice innit grin!

mippy Mon 15-Nov-10 15:41:04

I've just discovered White Stuff, though I wish to Goddess that they'd not put cups/under-bust lines in their clothes as the shopping opportunities for busty women are limited as it is. I'm trying to move on from jeans and T-shirts and their stuff seems to work for me now I find Topshop and FCUK etc. don't cut for my shape.

I like Monsoon though not as keen this year for some reason.

Mumsnut Mon 15-Nov-10 20:12:11

Jenai! <runs off to bleach screen>. The pooch aspect is just weird.

I love this

www.my-wardrobe.com/acne/atlantis-one-shoulder-dre ss-985428

but it's sold out in my size

Is it likely to ome bak into stock in my size?? if not, has anyone seen anything similar??

alemci Mon 15-Nov-10 21:24:09

I do like Boden and have just ordered a Coat off there but then i looked around on the high street and everything was expensive and non wool coats in John Lewis were £100.

I like White Stuff but it is dear so i only buy the odd thing. I also like fat face occasionally.

John Lewis women has quite nice things as well.

I used to love Principles as their trousers fitted me. The ben de lisi stuff is cut totally differently and not as nice.

I do like Kew but again expensive IMO for what it is.

at least Boden is good quality and lasts.

PastaDiva Tue 16-Nov-10 00:32:26

Mexx
Sandwich
Jackpot
Occasionally find nice daytime stuff in Coast

dizzydeee Tue 16-Nov-10 12:26:03

link for MissB ((http://www.mintvelvet.co.uk/coats/dept/fcp-categ ory/list?resetFilters=true)) for MV coat hope that works, had probs with links before.

Does anyone find the same problem with Boden, FatFace, Whitestuff in relation to finding something original for the DH's?

123123abc Sun 11-Nov-12 06:14:46

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MotherfuckingMorrisMan Sun 11-Nov-12 06:39:24

Eh? I can't work out if it is a spammer or someone who has just taken a gram of cocaine and is so in love with polyester paisley tops she wants to tell people on a 2 year old thread all about it.

Pagwatch Sun 11-Nov-12 07:10:11

I am converted. Fuck you High street, you over priced tricksters.
I am buying BEAUTIFUL shit at a FRACTION of the price and will SHOUT randomly whenever asked where did you GET that from.

FUCKING WOW!

MotherfuckingMorrisMan Sun 11-Nov-12 07:15:22

What's wrong with Sainsburies though, weirdo poster?

You don't have them on your list. And their GOK WAN jeans are ACE and a FRACTION of the price of French Connection.

YAY! Fuck you High Street indeed. Start a REVOLUTION. <Sings l'internationale>

Pagwatch Sun 11-Nov-12 07:26:07

Fuck yeah!

Sorry. FUCK YEAH!

FancyPuffin Sun 11-Nov-12 07:28:51

I AM so excited about Tesco Direct and their on trend clothing that I'm a little damp in my knickers.

I am posting live scorpions to THE THIEVING bastards who try to make (poor) copies.

CaptainBarnaclesDaddyman Sun 11-Nov-12 07:30:41

And don't forget their charmingly retro men's tshirts! PACMAN!!!!!!

<thrusts fist in the air>

FanjoForTheMammaries Sun 11-Nov-12 07:33:40

I bet others will stare in shock and glee at your paisley shirt and crochet sweater too, tbh.

ledkr Sun 11-Nov-12 07:53:00

I particularly LIKE no ADORE their high waisted value range KNICKERS. All the comfort and gusset covering of la senza and m and s but at a FRACTION of the cost

Yes!!! TESCO. All our clothing worries are sorted from this high end high QUALITY shop.

I'm off to TESCO now to wait outside the doors to get these original pieces, that all the other fashion houses copy.

hmm

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 11-Nov-12 08:16:06

Pagwatch! grin

I have spat tea over my keyboard now.

I was going to say, get very fat and then their clothes won't fit you. But I'm not sure if TESCO! Or ASDA! will fit you either. And you will have to develop a serious love for man made fibre.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 11-Nov-12 08:16:42

I mean MAN MADE FIBRE! Yeah!

Wow. Wow wow wow wow.

Who knew tesco clothes could cause such a reaction at 6:14am, 2 actual years after this thread began???

RudolphUcker Sun 11-Nov-12 08:29:02

I'm guessing someone never MADE IT TO BED!!!!!!!!!!

Tesco! Woo! and also Hoo!

AlwaysBizzy Sun 11-Nov-12 09:21:51

Astroturfing anyone?

volley Sun 11-Nov-12 09:41:02
maywills Fri 22-Nov-13 20:16:13

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

carlywurly Fri 22-Nov-13 21:58:50

Another zombie thread confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now