Quick poll- what size do you wear in Zara?

(51 Posts)
SandyBits Wed 14-Jul-10 19:01:48

And what is your real size?
Am irrationally (or not) peed off. I am a size 8-10. And yet today everythign I tried on in there was labelled 'large' hmm
So is this a common thing or am I a freak? Who on earth is buying their extra small size? confused

ticktockclock Wed 14-Jul-10 19:06:10

Their stuff NEVER fits me, I try, try, try and try again but I never end up with anything. I think I have one top in Large in my cupboard.

littleomar Wed 14-Jul-10 19:08:16

i have concluded that you need to be at least six foot and built like an ironing board to fit in any of their stuff.

snowmummy Wed 14-Jul-10 19:08:23

I'm usually a size 10-12 and I have to get a large from Zara although rarely buy anything from there because it never looks right on me

cyb Wed 14-Jul-10 19:10:46

Their stuff is TEENSY

dexter73 Wed 14-Jul-10 19:27:38

I tried on a jacket in XL and I couldn't get it over my shoulders! Am a 12.

SandyBits Wed 14-Jul-10 19:30:46

Well thank god it's not just me then. But what is goign on?? Even in Topshop which I always associate with being teeny, I can fit into my actual size. Zara are bonkers, clearly

Franup Wed 14-Jul-10 20:41:26

I think large in Zara is a very, very safe 14, possibly a big 12. Topshop are actually quite generous, think they realised older ladies were shopping and spending there and eased up a bit.

SandyBits Wed 14-Jul-10 21:18:34

There is no way on this earth that the clothes I tried on today were 14s. I have 14s at home, I've recently lost a lot of weight, and those 14s literally fall down. I do think Topshop sizes have gone up a smidge, but I'm an 8-10 in H and M too, which I know are small or true to size too, and I have x small t shirts from there that fit. I'll say it again, Zara are bonkers

Daydreaming Wed 14-Jul-10 21:42:11

Yes, but the thing is that most other high street shops have huge sizes. I am petite and stuff from shops like Jigsaw, Toast, M&S, etc. just completely drowns me. I am extremely grateful that Zara has small sizes. I am usually an x-small or small in Zara. And I find that the small sizes go really quickly, so there is obviously demand for them.

Fleecy Wed 14-Jul-10 21:46:43

I'm an 8 on top and 10 on bottom and wear a small. I must admit, I do think it's a bit rich that a medium is a 10/12!

RuthieCohen Wed 14-Jul-10 21:48:08

I'm a 14 and their 'large' is waaay too small.

I'm 5'8" and all their trousers are faaar too long.

Why would you want your customers to feel short and fat confused

Maryqueenofchocs Wed 14-Jul-10 21:50:16

Zara comes up VVVVVVV small...

trianera Thu 15-Jul-10 10:10:50

I'm a 14 and recently bought a skirt in xxl there - made me feel great, I can tell you.

But about the length, in Spain most places sell trousers that are really long as the idea is that when you buy them you pay a few extra euros and they take them up for you to exactly the length you need. Either that or you do it yourself (or your mum or granny does) at home.

katerum Thu 15-Jul-10 10:49:31

have also found Zara stuff to be poor quality, and a little pricier than comparable shops.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Thu 15-Jul-10 10:53:55

Small and badly made. Can't see why Zara is raved about. Am a size 10 in other shops and would need a large in Zara were I tempted by anything.

sansucre Thu 15-Jul-10 13:03:16

And there I was convinced that Zara was making their sizes bigger as I find their XS is much larger than they used to be and am now no longer able to shop there.

For the record I do have a small frame, but am not teeny tiny. And with a chest like mine, there's no way an XS should be too big across my bust.

All very odd confused

magso Thu 15-Jul-10 13:16:27

Zara sizes seem to be very hit and miss especially tops ( or anything clothing the top half). I (short 8/10), often have trouble getting small enough clothes but from Zara I have xs/s (bottoms) and everything from 8/xs to l in tops/dresses. My favorite Zara dress in marked meduim but I can no longer squeese into it!

HippyGalore Thu 15-Jul-10 13:27:00

I have a dress I bought in Spain, from Zara, which is labelled: Esp - L, UK - M, US - S. In the UK I can be any of these sizes.

It sounds like they haven't quite adjusted to the UK market, they have done some research that shows we are fatter than Spanish people and thinner than Americans but haven't adjusted the sizes in all their factories or for all the people they buy from.

bunnymother Thu 15-Jul-10 13:29:24

I buy medium and am size 10 in UK.

cardy Thu 15-Jul-10 13:31:29

I'm a 12 - I usually buy M in tops in Zara(where I am more like a 10/12) but L in dresses. I agree the sizes are weird.

on another note...I think Next clothes have srunk - I've had to buy 14s recently.

I have never found anything in Zara to fit me. Maybe the shoes. I'm a 12/14 but nothing they do caters for curves. The same for all Spanish shops really.

MissAmerica Sun 26-May-13 01:06:34

Well I bought XS shorts yesterday in Zara and they're still a bit baggy so I was actually wondering if their sizes were kind of too big. I read through some comments and was actually surprised, I always thought their sizes could be smaller... well I guess it's my body then but I'm 18 so I don't get it really, I'm usually size 4/6 in UK.

I don't. Nothing in there is big enough to fit me sad

Chottie Sun 26-May-13 06:23:29

5' 6" Size 10 - Zara size either small or medium

dexter73 Sun 26-May-13 06:29:23

Saw I had commented on this thread and then realised it is 3 years old!! I still remember that bloody tiny jacket though!

I tried on some pieces in Zara last week and their sizing is most peculiar. Some things came up tight, others bigger and the quality has gone downhill. I tried on a beautiful blouse, but there were threads coming off already. I was trying large sizes because I'm a 32G. I left with nothing.

recently I've lost weight so tops xs and bottoms s
odd sizings though as much as I love the clothes!

Nehru Sun 26-May-13 08:16:17

I find baggy tops I'm a m. (An a 12 m and S)
Jeans a 12
Jackets in a size GIGANTIC

Nehru Sun 26-May-13 08:17:11

Also. Since when were Spaniards tall?
Their trousers so long

Beaverfeaver Sun 26-May-13 08:17:51

I'm a 12 and have struggled to do up xl stuff, but do own a mix of s, m & l stuff so it really varies for me

CeeceeBloomingdale Sun 26-May-13 08:21:02

I'm normally a 12. I'm M or L in Zara tops but always XL in jackets.

Jackets always an M, tops S/M, bottoms usually M or 10.

I am a real life 10.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 26-May-13 08:27:24

Zara breaks my heart- so many lovely things but nothing fits me. hmm
Except their handbags.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 26-May-13 08:29:35

Nehru - answer is above. It is usual for the store to take them up for you.

notyummy Sun 26-May-13 08:30:55

<waves at Amber>

Amber I am your Zara size double as those are what I buy too! My Zara jeans are a 10, tops are small but dresses or skirts are medium. Am a 10 in most shops.. I am tall and struggle sometimes with the proportions on the dresses, so whilst I have tried loads if dresses on in there I haven't bought that many.

Sizing is def more unforgiving than most of the High St- but frankly that's because everywhere else has given in to vanity sizing.

BinksToEnlightenment Sun 26-May-13 10:15:00

I'm a size eight and choose XS, but their stuff rarely fits me properly. It's the length. I'm drowned in it.

catslave Sun 26-May-13 10:28:21

I think it depends on height also. I am an 8-10 and take a small in most Zara stuff. But I am 5ft 7. I recently looked at the doesyourbumlook40 blog and she says she's a large, despite bring very skinny. Maybe height is therefore a factor? I am quite muscular and find the arms on their shirts can be a bit tight sometimes..

Don't get me started on vanity sizing though. I have been the same size and weight since I was about 19 and have moved from being a 10-12 to mostly an 8. Last week I bought a dress from Anthropologie and that was a 6! confused

catslave Sun 26-May-13 10:29:21

Not US sizing either as they claim they relabel for the UK

SofaCanary Sun 26-May-13 12:07:04

Tops/bottoms M
Jeans 8
Jackets L

I'm a pretty standard size 10 in real life.

BellaVita Sun 26-May-13 12:11:26

I am a 10 and wear a medium Zara.

sleepdodger Sun 26-May-13 15:24:51

Haha am a 10 sometimes an 8
In Zara this week I tried on many garments and bout a small. Medium And 2 large...confused

EarlGreyTeabag Sun 26-May-13 15:28:18

I'm tall with broad shoulders & NOTHING in Zara fits me.

Bearleigh Sun 26-May-13 15:34:39

I generally get into a small, but rarely buy things from Zara because there is usually some aspect about them that just doesn't fit right or is slightly bonkers. Often the sleeves are too tight around the top. My favourite skirt is from Zara, about 6 years old, costs £25, fits beautifully, never creases and looks like it came from Hugo Boss. I keep popping in looking for something as good... I am wearing a Zara dress at the moment though, a linen/cotton shift that is great for lolling in the sun.

bulletproofgerbil Sun 26-May-13 15:40:41

I can't work out their sizing at all. Most of the tops I need in Large. Occasionally a medium top will fit. Most trousers won't even get past my thighs yet I've recently bought a pair of their basic jeans with zips and they were a 10??! Everything is way too long. And whoever said since when were Spanish people so tall, I totally agree. I've been on hols there a lot and don't feel ridiculously out of place l at 5'1". I'm certainly not aware of women there being very tall.

southeastastra Sun 26-May-13 15:43:16

large mostly but jackets usually don't fit unless they do the XL which they don't do many of!

i am 44 in jeans too - always best to try lots on!

flanbase Sun 26-May-13 15:45:09

Nothing would fit apart from large tops & shoes.

Bexicles Sun 26-May-13 16:05:22

I'm a size 8-10, remember buying a pair of jodhpurs years ago in the sale in a small and not being able to get them past my knees! I'm definitely a medium in Zara.

MacaYoniAndCheese Sun 26-May-13 17:20:46

I'm a UK size 8/US size 4 (5'5 with a small bust) and always get a small...sometimes an extra small if it's a really flowy/baggy style. However, I recently bought some 'basic' tees in small and they were ridiculously short. Humph.

mamageekchic Sun 26-May-13 19:32:01

I realise its an old thread but seeing as it's already been revived...

i'm a 12-14 but sometimes struggle with an xl in zara, particularly in shirts/blazers.

my main issue with them though is when they do reduced size ranges in certain styles, twice recently I've picked up nice shift dresses for work only to look at the label and see they only go up to a large sad

Kel45 Thu 26-Jun-14 00:06:25

Hi ladies in Zara's
Size 10 is medium
Size 12 is large
Size 14 is XL
Hope this helps x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now